Does RC still have this dessert?

I last sailed Royal in 2003. At that time, they had a delicious flourless chocolate cake on the menu. I think it was just called literally that--Royal flourless chocolate cake. Does RC still have this dessert? I see a Royal chocolate cake on the 'classics' menu, but not sure it is the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is normally on the sampler trio or dessert trio, I'm blanking on which night menu it is on.

It's included in at least one of the Savor books if you want to make it at home. DH's version is better than most we've had on the ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by MonDreamr1

That was my husband's favorite dessert! It became part of the dessert trio which was three small samples of cakes, more like mini cupcakes:D but I'm not sure I've seen it our last few cruises. :confused:

Sherri:)

I did not see it or missed it on our Thanksgiving cruise. Isn't it a lot like Carnival's Choco Melting Cake? YUM!!!:)

The one I'm thinking of wasn't very similar to warm chocolate melting cake (which I also love). I think RC does serve a lava cake that sounded like wcmc to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have watched it become more elusive. Used to love to go to Portofino when it was one of the dessert choices there. Then, when it became part of the sampler in the MDR, I used to order it and tell my waiter that I only wanted to "sample" the flourless chocolate cake. Now I love going into the Windjammer and finding platters of the delicious concoction. Makes my cruise.

Can remember sitting with a tablemate who took a bite and immediately pronounced it "too rich". No way!

It was on the sampler Trio on our cruse last week as well but I don't know if it was available on its own.

Rambling off topic a bit ...

My friend and I shared and sampled one another's desserts each evening so I tried several ... and FWIW ... I was not as impressed by most of the desserts as I had expected to be ... but its a 'texture' issue for me more so than a taste issue. Wayyyy too many of them had too much of a gelatin or slightly rubbery texture for my preferences.

My friend and I shared and sampled one another's desserts each evening so I tried several ...

I was especially disappointed to find that the tiramisu was like that ... the part that should have been a delicious yummy creamy layer had a very congealed texture.

The carrot cake was incredibly dense and almost clay like in texture, as opposed to being moist & cakey.

The absolute BEST chocolatey dessert I tried was the Bûche de Noël which was on the special Holiday/Christmas menu. It was VERY good ... yummy chocolate ... light fluffy cake, smooth creaming filling, etc. Definitely would recommend it ... with a cup of coffee!

And the blueberry/peach crumble was good, but I only ate the part that had vanilla ice cream on top ... if I had it to do over ... I would order it again but with extra ice cream.

One of the best desserts I had was simply strawberries with sugar free vanilla ice cream ... whichdidn't even taste sugar free ... and the berries were marinated in something yummy ... Grand Marnie maybe?!!??!

Edited by Cro_and_Swan