On Board During Port Day

hvsteve1

It's been a few years since we sailed Regent so I don't recall what happens on the ship during port days. On our upcoming cruise we may elect to stay on board in one or two ports as we've been there a few times. If we stay on board, what is happening regarding lunch, activities, afternoon tea, etc.?

Everything will be as normal - you aren't obliged to go ashore! There may be some kind of crew drill which involves some crew members and maybe minor disruption to the routine, and usually takes an hour or so. Otherwise it's business as usual. It's also a great time to book a spa appointment or use the gym as it's less busy. You can also find a lounger by the pool! We often stay onboard if a particular port doesn't really interest us, or we've visited before. Your daily programme sheet will have details of what happens where and when.

It depends upon the ship. On the Explorer, only La Veranda and one specialty restaurant is open for lunch. This may also be true of the Voyager since she has been refurbished. The Mariner is the same as she was -- do not believe the changes that have occurred on the Voyager has spread to the Mariner yet (i.e. Compass Rose being closed at lunch every day except Sunday and one or two specialty restaurants being open).

We've stayed on the ship many times and enjoy the peace and quiet. You may be surprised at how many people are onboard or return for lunch and the afternoon activities.

It depends upon the ship. On the Explorer, only La Veranda and one specialty restaurant is open for lunch. This may also be true of the Voyager since she has been refurbished. The Mariner is the same as she was -- do not believe the changes that have occurred on the Voyager has spread to the Mariner yet (i.e. Compass Rose being closed at lunch every day except Sunday and one or two specialty restaurants being open).

We've stayed on the ship many times and enjoy the peace and quiet. You may be surprised at how many people are onboard or return for lunch and the afternoon activities.

No change to lunch venues on Voyager post refurb - still Compass Rose, La Veranda and Pool Grill (sea days & port days)

Neither Prime 7 nor Chartreuse are ever open for lunch on Voyager

I am not doing any excursions in two ports. I might want to get off and see what is in the area around the port. Will it be safe for me going alone? My cruise mate is doing a submergible and I am claustrophobic, so I am not doing one that port. But i might want to get off and get postcards or see a church. I will be on the Mariner soon, got laundry to do before I pack.

I am not doing any excursions in two ports. I might want to get off and see what is in the area around the port. Will it be safe for me going alone? My cruise mate is doing a submergible and I am claustrophobic, so I am not doing one that port. But i might want to get off and get postcards or see a church. I will be on the Mariner soon, got laundry to do before I pack.

Since you will be on the Mariner, I'm assuming that this will be in the Caribbean (please correct me if I'm wrong). During the day, most ports are just fine. I would take normal precautions with my handbag - not open your wallet enough to allow people to see how much money you are carrying. And, if you go to a beach, buy one of those waterproof things that allow you to carry your money/credit cards. I would not leave my belongings on the beach unattended.

If you take precautions, there should be no problem visiting shops or a church.

I should have listed the ports I am doing an excursion in Costa Maya, Harvest Cay Belize Roatan and Key West. Harvest Cay we have no excursions. I thought she was doing the sub thing. I have limited walking, I had to learn to walk again in 2013/2014 so I might have my cane, We are doing a Mayan Ruin in Costa Maya. I'll be the one bringing up the rear. I do not walk fast.:eek: But I am so looking forward to a smaller cruise ship and hope to meet other slow walkers along the way.

Alice Faye

All excursion descriptions have a little "walkers icon" designed to give you a rough idea on the difficulty or level of physical fitness required to enjoy them properly. The more "walkers", the more demanding the excursion. Of course only you know your limitations, but I would urge you to think carefully about which to choose as attempting activities beyond your capability can slow everyone down which can and does cause irritation and resentment. There is usually a good range of choices for all ability levels and I'm sure there will be something that suits you.

We were just on a 14 day southern caribbean (Miami to Miami) on Explorer. I am just recovering from radiation treatment for cancer of the larynx so I'm subject to fatigue. For this reason we only went ashore at 1 port (Martinique). We enjoyed our days on board in port and quite a few people were also on board. DH loves the jigsaw puzzle (near The Cafe/Coffee Connection) and I read. Good lunches at the grill, etc.

We were just on a 14 day southern caribbean (Miami to Miami) on Explorer. I am just recovering from radiation treatment for cancer of the larynx so I'm subject to fatigue. For this reason we only went ashore at 1 port (Martinique). We enjoyed our days on board in port and quite a few people were also on board. DH loves the jigsaw puzzle (near The Cafe/Coffee Connection) and I read. Good lunches at the grill, etc.

Good advice!

Really hope that you heal quickly and completely and that your New Year is happy and healthy!