Beds on Oasis

I've been on several RCCL cruises. I always thought the beds were so comfy. We went on Freedom in June and discovered our bed was hard as a rock. Our kids were lucky and had the toppers on their beds. Our steward told us they were getting rid of all of them. He hinted that they would be replacing the beds with something at some point. A co-worker went on Freedom for Thanksgiving. She said the beds were horrible.

So my question is, are the beds bad across the board now? We are booked on Oasis for 2018. So I know anything can change between now and then but still.

In my experience yes the beds are much harder than they were a few years ago. I have had this on several ships and now always ask for a topper.

There are existing threads on this which you can search for, which have many tips to deal with the hard beds.

In my experience yes the beds are much harder than they were a few years ago. I have had this on several ships and now always ask for a topper.

There are existing threads on this which you can search for, which have many tips to deal with the hard beds.

When we asked for a topper, we were told there weren't any. That they were getting rid of them little by little each trip. Somehow someway they found one that 2nd night for us. I was seriously dreading sleeping on the bed the rest of the trip. We both were so sore after that first night.

We cruised on the Oasis in June and the bed was SUPER comfortable!:D:D

Our last 2 Carnival cruises, the beds were like bricks.:mad::mad:

Woke up each morning with sore backs.

Hoping they got they stuff together for our Magic cruise in June.

Happy sailings!!!!!:D

I've been on several RCCL cruises. I always thought the beds were so comfy. We went on Freedom in June and discovered our bed was hard as a rock. Our kids were lucky and had the toppers on their beds. Our steward told us they were getting rid of all of them. He hinted that they would be replacing the beds with something at some point. A co-worker went on Freedom for Thanksgiving. She said the beds were horrible.

So my question is, are the beds bad across the board now? We are booked on Oasis for 2018. So I know anything can change between now and then but still.

Request a foam topper from Special Needs. They had them on FOS in November. My bed was great...

We just got off Oasis and I saw new mattresses in the halls so I think they are in the process of replacing them. Ours was older and had a foam top. Not the most comfortable. But it was okay.

We too just got off Oasis. We had the older, softer, rounded-end mattresses, and slept well. The newer, square-end ones are both smaller and only slightly harder than fossilized concrete. I wish you the best of luck for your turn at mattress roulette.

• 1 month later...

Oh, dear, it sounds like the RCI beds are still concrete blocks. Sigh. I was hoping that by now they would have replaced them. I was going to try the Oasis again, but I CANNOT sleep on those hard mattresses. It would ruin the whole cruise. I've tried toppers but they are no help. I wonder if I could bring an actual small mattress aboard? I don't have to fly to get to the port...

Oh, dear, it sounds like the RCI beds are still concrete blocks. Sigh. I was hoping that by now they would have replaced them. I was going to try the Oasis again, but I CANNOT sleep on those hard mattresses. It would ruin the whole cruise. I've tried toppers but they are no help. I wonder if I could bring an actual small mattress aboard? I don't have to fly to get to the port...

I feel your pain! My solution for my last 3 cruises is to take my own remedy. I take a Klymit Static V Luxe sleeping pad that I bought on Amazon. It is meant for camping, but I have found it to be very helpful for travel. It costs about $85, but you can find smaller and less expensive models of the same brand. It rolls up very small and weighs very little. I put it in my carry-on luggage. It inflates and deflates very easily. It improves my comfort level tremendously! I slip it between the mattress and the mattress pad. It makes no noise when you move and you can control the inflation to your desired firmness. I know it may seem silly to some. However, I sleep very poorly on RCL's new mattresses. I wake up sore and grumpy. I pay too much for my vacation to be miserable! Try it! It really solved the issue for me.1f9fea28a1ca76002c27157cbc01293b.jpg

we are sailing on OOS on Sunday 2/26. I sent an email, as I always do (we are D+) to special needs & they responded with "we no longer offer the egg-crate topper, as all our beds now have them" we shall see......

we are sailing on OOS on Sunday 2/26. I sent an email' date=' as I always do (we are D+) to special needs & they responded with "we no longer offer the egg-crate topper, as all our beds now have them" we shall see......[/quote']

Please report back and let us know how comfortable the beds were

We were on the Oasis in January. We found the beds very hard. It took 2 toppers to make it tolerable.

• 2 weeks later...

We have never sailed on royal before. We will be on oasis in May. The mattresses don't contain that memory foam like memory foam pillows have, do they? We've just discovered my husband breaks out in hives after getting those kind of pillows. That would make for a miserable trip!

Just off the Oasis and confirm our bed in room 12729 had the egg crate topper already on it. While it slept very well the first couple of nights, by day 4 it had taken a toll on my lower back and I didn't sleep well the rest of the cruise. Even sleeping with a pillow under my knees didn't relieve it. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain! My solution for my last 3 cruises is to take my own remedy. I take a Klymit Static V Luxe sleeping pad that I bought on Amazon. It is meant for camping, but I have found it to be very helpful for travel. It costs about $85, but you can find smaller and less expensive models of the same brand. It rolls up very small and weighs very little. I put it in my carry-on luggage. It inflates and deflates very easily. It improves my comfort level tremendously! I slip it between the mattress and the mattress pad. It makes no noise when you move and you can control the inflation to your desired firmness. I know it may seem silly to some. However, I sleep very poorly on RCL's new mattresses. I wake up sore and grumpy. I pay too much for my vacation to be miserable! Try it! It really solved the issue for me.1f9fea28a1ca76002c27157cbc01293b.jpg

I share my staterooms all the time and typically end up on the sofa bed. I have a plush pillow top mattress at home so by comparison the sofa bed is like granite. Would you say this pad makes the mattress plush enough?

I share my staterooms all the time and typically end up on the sofa bed. I have a plush pillow top mattress at home so by comparison the sofa bed is like granite. Would you say this pad makes the mattress plush enough?

Yes! I like a "plush" mattress as well. This pad made the bed much, much better. It was still not as good as my bed at home, but measurably improved my comfort level and ability to get a good night's sleep. If you get one, go for the "Luxe" version. It is wider and thicker, therefore more comfortable.

Yes! I like a "plush" mattress as well. This pad made the bed much, much better. It was still not as good as my bed at home, but measurably improved my comfort level and ability to get a good night's sleep. If you get one, go for the "Luxe" version. It is wider and thicker, therefore more comfortable.

If I got the luxe one would my husband have enough room in the bed next to me? He would sleep on a board covered with a sheet, so I'm not worried about spending money to buy one for him. But I don't want to squeeze him into a tiny corner of the bed either.

I slept on a very hard mattress this weekend... or I should say I attempted to. I only lasted 10 minutes before my back was aching and I switched rooms. I don't see myself lasting a week if the beds on oasis are anything like the one I tried this weekend....

If I got the luxe one would my husband have enough room in the bed next to me? He would sleep on a board covered with a sheet, so I'm not worried about spending money to buy one for him. But I don't want to squeeze him into a tiny corner of the bed either.

I slept on a very hard mattress this weekend... or I should say I attempted to. I only lasted 10 minutes before my back was aching and I switched rooms. I don't see myself lasting a week if the beds on oasis are anything like the one I tried this weekend....

The Luxe version of the Klymit sleeping pad covers exactly half of the RCL beds. I started with the regular version, but I found it to be too narrow. The Luxe is wider and thicker, thus making it more comfortable. It really helped me. Like you, I have a very hard time sleeping on a hard bed. This is the perfect solution for my needs!