Boarded Odyssey today. First Seabourn cruise

bitob

Agree. They can be a bit hit and miss, especially at busy times when several pax need their services at the same time. On the rare occasions we actually wanted our butler to organise something it took so long to leave the necessary page/message it was quicker to do it ourselves by contacting room service or the front desk.

Our Silversea butlers were almost invisible and our Regent butlers were excellent but didn't offer anything we couldn't do ourselves. Overall, I guess it's nice to know we had one, but the cruise isn't ruined if we don't.

We had butlers on Silversea. I found them invisible, except for one importune time that the butler walked in on us, having knocked just once. Too weird, and no reason for him to have walked in. Never had an issue with any room stewardess on SB; every one is more wonderful than the one before, if that's even possible. Then again, I am neither demanding nor do I look for issues about which to complain. Just sayin'.

Sent telepathically.

Edited by hope&barry

We have had the opposite experience on Oceania. The butler is key to maximizing our enjoyment of our cruise. Anything but invisible. There when we want or need him and able to get us things at times when venues are closed.

I think the room stewardess issue is my major issue on this cruise but we adapt. The neighboring stewardess who seems to be around more has noticed our plight and graciously offered to help us

Everything else is quite nice. Passengers and crew friendly, food good and activities right for our tastes.

Love love love Seabourn square

Not crazy about the cabin but bathroom and storage are outstanding

IWe have an Antarctica cruise booked on sb and we will certainly keep the booking.

I do not see much difference in the demographic on sb and Oceania

In fact I see little difference between a "luxury " line and a suite on an "upper premium" line other than the included alcohol which does not interest us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bitob - I assume you are staying in a higher level suite and are used to this on Oceania as you refer to butlers. There is no comparison between an Oceania veranda suite (on the smaller ships) and Seabourn. Seabourn's definitely win out as, whilst the suites themselves are similar (ish) the bathrooms in the smaller Oceania ships veranda suites are tiny, badly laid out and have that horrific shower curtain. I enjoyed Oceania but definitely found the service on Seabourn to be better and our stewardess on our last Seabourn cruise was excellent - nothing was too much trouble. Not a cheer leader for any line as yet but Seabourn still my favourite so far although never used room service on any ship. I really wouldn't want a butler as I prefer to go and get what I want when I want it although I realise that this is not always possible for people who have limited mobility.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

You are correct. If only booking a verandah on Oceania sb wins hands down

We book a ph on the smaller o ships and often an Oceania suite on the larger ones.

Unfortunately the room stewardess has been the single disappointment for us on this cruise. I am assuming she is an anomaly

I can understand why sb cruisers are so loyal. There are many wonderful aspects to this cruise line and we certainly appreciate them

We are eclectic cruisers. We also enjoy celebrity in a top suite. The only cruise line we will never sail again is Azamara

Going forward we will continue with Oceania and Seabourn and we are giving Crystal a try too. We like to mix it up and generally find things we like on every line

Edited by bitob

You are correct. If only booking a verandah on Oceania sb wins hands down

We book a ph on the smaller o ships and often an Oceania suite on the larger ones.

Unfortunately the room stewardess has been the single disappointment for us on this cruise. I am assuming she is an anomaly

I can understand why sb cruisers are so loyal. There are many wonderful aspects to this cruise line and we certainly appreciate them

We are eclectic cruisers. We also enjoy celebrity in a top suite. The only cruise line we will never sail again is Azamara

Going forward we will continue with Oceania and Seabourn and we are giving Crystal a try too. We like to mix it up and generally find things we like on every line

Thank you Bitbob for all of your info. As an O regular I am familiar with your reviews and trust them. We prefer suites on O and only suites on Celebrity.

I also said we would never cruise Azamara again, but they have a perfect itinerary that meets all of our needs this May, and will risk it again. At least they have done a refurb.

Seabourn is on our list now that they have eliminated smoking.

Bitob, since you have posted from the start of this thread about the stewardess not being to your expectations I would strongly suggest you have a word with the head of housekeeping - her name was Ana on the prior segments before you joined but I am not sure if she is still on - and explain your expectations have not been met and you would like another stewardess. Problem solved - and you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Over the years we've had 14-15 different ones and never had serious issues, but there were 2 who were not in the same class as the rest, not terrible but not top notch - it is a demanding job. I don't know who you have now, but the lady we had for 33 days prior to you joining was in the top 3-4 that we have ever had take care of us, and take care she did.

However, on the same cruise there was a gentleman I know with many days staying just a few suites away who told me he was not happy with his (a different) stewardess. To be fair to them, there is turn over in that department as many get promoted (a good thing) but most have at least several contracts with Seabourn, maybe you have someone on their first contract who is not that experienced?

My all time favorite stewardess - who did not take care of us last cruise - was on the Odyssey but I'm not sure if she got off in FLL, and she worked multiple floors when she was our stewardess and we never had better care.

I actually just went again to guest services to complain. It takes her 3 hours from the time we put the service tAg on the door to attend to our room. Unacceptable. Guest services agrees

This is the only issue I have. We just had a delicious dinner. I truly hate to complain. This is the first time I hAve ever had a bad stateroom attendant on any cruise line. And we are not asking her to do anything but clean the room within a reasonable amount of time

bitob, sorry to heat about your Seabourn cruise. We have been on most of the luxury lines and are planning our first Seabourn cruise in 2017.

I have been very happy with my 2 Oceania Riviera cruises this year. I know your are on the O site as well. How would you compare the two? Cheers, Heather

We just go off the Riviera, our first Oceania cruise. We've taken 6 Seabourn cruises and wanted to try the Oceania/Riviera but didn't like it for lots of reasons. We just love Seabourn. Good with with your first Seabourn - where are you going? We have 2 planned for 2017.

We have had the opposite experience on Oceania. The butler is key to maximizing our enjoyment of our cruise. Anything but invisible. There when we want or need him and able to get us things at times when venues are closed.

I think the room stewardess issue is my major issue on this cruise but we adapt. The neighboring stewardess who seems to be around more has noticed our plight and graciously offered to help us

Everything else is quite nice. Passengers and crew friendly, food good and activities right for our tastes.

Love love love Seabourn square

Not crazy about the cabin but bathroom and storage are outstanding

IWe have an Antarctica cruise booked on sb and we will certainly keep the booking.

I do not see much difference in the demographic on sb and Oceania

In fact I see little difference between a "luxury " line and a suite on an "upper premium" line other than the included alcohol which does not interest us.

If you are not crazy about the cabin, and if you want to be crazy about the cabin, book the PH, or if you want to truly be wowed, book the PH Spa Suite, or one of the premium suites. I will admit that I've only sailed on the PH and PH Spa on the larger ships, so I cannot comment on the regular size cabins. I just like the larger space the PH and PH spa suites afford, so you may want to look into those options. They won't disappoint. Also, since there is only a dedicated attendant to the four PH Spa Suites, that might suit your needs as you can get the most personalized attention you clearly crave.

Sent telepathically.

Edited by Hobar

My one and only Seabourn cruise to date was in a Penthouse Spa Suite. It was amazing. My next couple of reservations are all in 'regular' Penthouse Suites. I hope it's not too much of a step down [emoji3]

I share the steward(ess) vs. butler concern. I've cruised Azamara 28 times and absolutely love their butlers. One call and whatever you want is there within 5 minutes. Leaving a written note for the steward(ess) on Seabourn just isn't the same.

Cabin is adequate. It's the stewardess that's the problem

I am told the stewardesses take care of only ten cabins. Service should be better than this imo

I've let them know. All I can do

And for the PH Spa suites, the stewardess has only those four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabin is adequate. It's the stewardess that's the problem

I am told the stewardesses take care of only ten cabins. Service should be better than this imo

I've let them know. All I can do

The quick way to get rid of this problem is to speak with the head housekeeper

Your issue will disappear immediately

No need for anymore problems with your cruise after you make the move

I had a lazy stewardess on one Seabourn cruise and after speaking to the housekeeper I was given an excellent girl who could not do enough for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

My one and only Seabourn cruise to date was in a Penthouse Spa Suite. It was amazing. My next couple of reservations are all in 'regular' Penthouse Suites. I hope it's not too much of a step down [emoji3]

I share the steward(ess) vs. butler concern. I've cruised Azamara 28 times and absolutely love their butlers. One call and whatever you want is there within 5 minutes. Leaving a written note for the steward(ess) on Seabourn just isn't the same.

It is not the same.

But we can handle it

But you need to know going in that even the best stewardess does not function the way a great butler does

For some it may be a deal breaker. Not for us.

We see no reason to upgrade if butler not an option.

Edited by bitob

I have followed this thread with interest. We have enjoyed our time on Seabourn immensely...Was it perfect? No. We are all people dealing with crew that are all people. As much as I try, I have some days better than others as do they. It is a tough job handled for the most part with skill and grace by the crew. Having worked at sea a number of years myself, I am always ready to cut slack on any weather related issues and issues non weather related, usually a word here or there works wonders. Butlers? Never liked them. A personal opinion for sure but I really would rather unpack my own bags. When I get to the point I can't do that, I will need more than a Butler traveling with me. :D So far, with lost count cruises/crossings going back to the original Queen Mary, I have yet to have a perfect voyage. I have enjoyed every one of them at some level. Just returned from SeaDream on a near perfect voyage but then the little SeaDream ships are not for all. The only sad cruise note at the moment is that we are sitting here naked (no, not nude)........No cruise booked.....:eek::D

Our butler never unpacks or packs for us. I don't know anyone who lets the butler do that.

This cruise has overall been excellent with two exceptions

Stewardess I have handled best as I can and now I expect little

Bridge instructor - we all complained about her and she knows it so she is shaping up to the best of her ability which is not much. Lol

No cruise is perfect but when your stateroom attendant is poor you feel it more than other glitches

Edited by bitob

Bitob, I totally agree with you on the convenience and satisfaction of having a good butler. Like you, we are not needy, nor need packing/unpacking assistance. However, when you rest assured that one phone message, or a note left behind, will take care of your want or need, you can proceed to thoroughly enjoy your cruise without any hitch. In our last cruise (in another line), our butler was so good that one sea day, when we disappeared for several hours, he searched for us just to make sure all was fine with us. He was very attentive, without being intrusive. Very well trained. Actually, our daily interactions made for a happy cruise. Big difference between a room attendant and a butler.

Just returned from Seabourn square and it appears many veteran sb cruisers are up in arms about service in general and room stewardesses in particular. One woman with ten plus cruises is threatening to go elsewhere. Plans to write a long letter when she gets home.

There are many many passengers complaining about their stewardesses. Some think all the best ones are on encore Must be a training issue

Edited by bitob