Boarded Odyssey today. First Seabourn cruise

bitob

Service remains disappointing in some respects. It takes two calls to get most things done. E.g. Get room service trays removed, get new bathrobes, get clean drinking glasses which attendant failed to provide.

One reason we love having a butler is that he takes care of everything with one request.

Service in dining venues and in Seabourn square is fine. But if you want something for your suite, service is not stellar

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We always have a butler on Crystal but we were assured we do not need one on Seabourn. Maybe you have a new stewardess. If you have issues I would talk to the head housekeeper or the hotel director. To just complain will not resolve your issues.

Edited by Suite Travels

There is no way these stateroom attendants function in any way like a butler. Old or new. Experienced or not. They are largely invisible. You share service requests with the other 450 passengers on board

And I did speak to head of housekeeping day 1

Edited by bitob

If your issues were not resolved I would definitely speak to the HD. After reading the Seabourn boards for years and taking our first SB cruise on the Encore next year, I have been pretty impressed with what our friends say and the comments made here. We are making a big jump from 28 cruises on Crystal that we still enjoy. We have always had a butlered suite but we are not needy. The butler is great for special requests like setting up a cocktail party, taking your laundry dining reservations etc. except for the cocktail party I can handle the rest myself. We have had issues on Crystal but we always had them resolved through the HD as he/she is in charge of housekeeping.

I will add there is no way to call your stateroom attendant directly. You can call guest services or ask another attendant to find yours. Mine takes care of suites on two different floors. Ridiculous imo

Again this is nothing like having a butler at your disposal

If your issues were not resolved I would definitely speak to the HD. After reading the Seabourn boards for years and taking our first SB cruise on the Encore next year, I have been pretty impressed with what our friends say and the comments made here. We are making a big jump from 28 cruises on Crystal that we still enjoy. We have always had a butlered suite but we are not needy. The butler is great for special requests like setting up a cocktail party, taking your laundry dining reservations etc. except for the cocktail party I can handle the rest myself. We have had issues on Crystal but we always had them resolved through the HD as he/she is in charge of housekeeping.

You will find out for yourself whether the absence of a butler matters to you

We are not needy either. We probably use the butler less than many others but we love the luxury of it. We are definitely feeling the absence of a butler on this cruise. Is it a deal breaker? No. But it is not the same

I will do a comparison once I have more time on board. Too early to say. We have been on Oceania 12 times with 4 more booked and we love it but we like to mix it up and experience new things

The coffee in Seabourn square is the best I have had on any ship and we r coffee addicts. The two baristas Olga and viktoria are the best Today I discovered the decadent chocolate sticks. Omg

Chocolate sticks????? We just got off quest a couple of months ago and they didn't have them! You are very lucky!

Chocolate sticks????? We just got off quest a couple of months ago and they didn't have them! You are very lucky!

Hot chocolate on a stick. You dip it in hot milk to melt. They were rolled out a few years ago, but a couple of months ago they were not available on the Quest. Glad they've returned.

I found the website to order them for home. To die for. http://Www.hotchocolatesticks.com

Right on the package

From Belgium

Internet working very well imo

Seabourn square filled with gingerbread houses, chocolTe Santas and special pastries. Wonderful. The entire area in front of the restaurant is also filled with gingerbread houses. Ship really feels Christmasy. Love it

Just enjoyed one this AM on the Quest as a pre holiday treat as we cruised by glaciers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Chairsin and DH

Have a wonderful Christmas cruise. Look forward to hearing all about Antarctica and your adventures! Margaret and Dave xx

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kudos to Seabourn for stepping up to the plate and finding us an acceptable substitute for the missing health drink here in Panama. Outstanding. We are grateful

We spent a delicious day at the "secret" area deck 5 aft with another couple we have befriended on board. We got room service to bring us caviar and we got Keller burgers as chasers. Probably will skip dinner

We had the area all to ourselves. Love it there.

Kudos to Seabourn for stepping up to the plate and finding us an acceptable substitute for the missing health drink here in Panama. Outstanding. We are grateful

We spent a delicious day at the "secret" area deck 5 aft with another couple we have befriended on board. We got room service to bring us caviar and we got Keller burgers as chasers. Probably will skip dinner

We had the area all to ourselves. Love it there.

I'm glad to read that SB has your drink for you!

Best way to communicate with your suite attendant if you don't actually catch up with her during her two daily visits is to leave her a note. There should be a pen and small notepad in your suite.

Most of the suite attendants do mention it during their introductory chat with you after you embark, unfortunately yours appears to have not communicated with you very well so far.

I love that spot on deck 5 also.

I'm glad your initial problems with Seabourn seem to have been overcome for the most part and your overall experience is proving to be a positive one after all. Or maybe the Christmas spirit and the excellent coffee have mellowed you a little! ;) Just don't tell too many people about the "secret spot" on deck 5 OK? Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I'm glad your initial problems with Seabourn seem to have been overcome for the most part and your overall experience is proving to be a positive one after all. Or maybe the Christmas spirit and the excellent coffee have mellowed you a little! ;) Just don't tell too many people about the "secret spot" on deck 5 OK? Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I never said I was having a negative experience.

Most of my observations have been positive but I am not inclined to gild the lily. I just call it as I see it

I am somewhat shocked at the inconsistent level of service only because that is the aspect of Seabourn that everyone raves about. When it is good it is great but imo there have been many lapses and service is not as good as I was led to believe. Maybe it is just this cruise because I have met other first timers who feel the same

Is there a secret spot on the Encore? Just a yes or no will do.:D

Looking at the deck plans, there's a similar rear pool and seating area on deck 5 Encore too. It's a great spot for a read and a drink overlooking the wake. I will report back with pics when we board early March.

I'm glad to read that SB has your drink for you!

Best way to communicate with your suite attendant if you don't actually catch up with her during her two daily visits is to leave her a note. There should be a pen and small notepad in your suite.

Most of the suite attendants do mention it during their introductory chat with you after you embark, unfortunately yours appears to have not communicated with you very well so far.

I love that spot on deck 5 also.

I figured out to leave a note for anything that could wait. But if you need anything on the spot I find the system frustrating. I am used to an easier way to deal with such issues. It's the Seabourn way so I have to adjust to it.

We were on the Quest a few months ago on a Canada itinerary, first time on Seabourn. The service was terrible. We are long time cruisers and not complainers. But, there were mistakes almost daily (order one thing, get another), frequent long waits for drinks/hors doerves (up to one hour once) and being completely ignored 3 times in the dining room and colonnade (no waiter comes). Service was well below what we've experienced on HAL and other cruise lines. I was shocked based on the Seabourn reputation. Met with the customer service manager towards the end of the cruise and down loaded all the problems. She actually acknowledged that this was a sub par sailing for them.

Loved the ship, cabin and overall quality of the food, but, with a few exceptions, the service was almost a complete fail.

I am ignoring the nastiness of the previous poster and moving on

Christmas very festive. David e dressed as Santa and many elves around. Going through Canal today.

Sitting at pool. Service here outstanding. Servers plentiful and coming around with water tea and champagne and mimosas ( for those who drink). Not us

Offering sunscreen and eyeglasses cleaners too. Very nice touch. only time we've ever seen that was at four seasons sharm el sheikh where they offered to clean your sunglasses.

Hot chocolate on a stick. You dip it in hot milk to melt. They were rolled out a few years ago, but a couple of months ago they were not available on the Quest. Glad they've returned.

I remember them well from our cruise to Northern Europe. Disappointed they did not have them last month in South America

Here's why we miss having a butler

Our throats are a little scratchy and we'd like some hot tea with honey. 50 minute wait from room service because it's dinner time. Crazy!!

We have never had a butler - or indeed wanted one - but I gather from various posts on other lines that they can be a mixed blessing; some being excellent and some a waste of time. Also, that they actually look after quite a few passengers, and are not, as sometimes seem to be implied in advertising, just for oneself. Maybe you have always been lucky with yours, bitob.