Antarctic

Ggarthh

Likely yes. Ask on the HAL board here, people who have taken that itinerary can give you the answer. Also some research on the Ports of Call boards here would be helpful, and asking folk on your ROLL CALL to see what they are packing. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

No boots...hat, scarf, gloves or mittens, and layers...I was outside one day in brilliant sun with my fleece on, some folks in less...other days it was base layer, long sleeve shirt, fleece, waterproof "shell". You will have an unreal time!! Favorite cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Layers... (and layers... and layers)

You start off in their summer in SA..... Can be hot as hell, then it gets cooler and cooler and cooler. So unless you wint to pack a LOT of suitcases, the answer is:...... Layers.

Never needed boots, even tromping around the boonies (Volunteer Point) at Port Stanley.

We had water proof hiking boots, down coats, scarfs, gloves & hats. Yes it was very cold.

Edit to add, I just noticed you are from Canada, I'm in South Texas, so my tolerance for cold would likely be different then yours. :)

It was a great trip, have fun!

Edited by SPacificbound

Traveling on Prinendam to South America and Antarctic. Do I need my winter coat and boots as well.

Yes, Antarctica is cold, possibly due to all the ice and snow. :p

If you plan on going outside onto the deck or such, gloves, beanie and jacket is required.:D

Traveling on Prinendam to South America and Antarctic. Do I need my winter coat and boots as well.

Fine inside the ship, but outside freezing. I was always cold despite boots, jacket, beanie, scarf etc. a lady from Norway told me 2 pairs of socks. It helped. May be that I have a low tolerance to cold, doesn't ever get that cold here.

The weather was awesome when we went to Antarctica in December -- not a cruise on a mega ship like you are taking, we went on a small (less than 100 passenger) ship so we could go through the Drake Passage and continue south. Never was cold -- sunny warm days. Dropped the coat as soon as we were out of the zodiac and on land.

It all depends on the weather -- just like any cruise. I went prepared for the cold but it just didn't happen.

The weather was awesome when we went to Antarctica in December -- not a cruise on a mega ship like you are taking, we went on a small (less than 100 passenger) ship so we could go through the Drake Passage and continue south. Never was cold -- sunny warm days. Dropped the coat as soon as we were out of the zodiac and on land.

It all depends on the weather -- just like any cruise. I went prepared for the cold but it just didn't happen.

If you are going outside for long times, don't forget sun screen as well, helps with the reflected light and also the wind burn.:D