Pearl vs. Escape vs. Getaway

jlacy1987

I'm trying to settle on a vacation for myself, my boyfriend, and his 8-year-old son for next year for Thanksgiving week. I have narrowed it down to 3 options. NCL Pearl out of NOLA (Cozumel, Roatan, Harvest Caye, and Costa Maya), NCL Escape out of Miami (St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau), or NCL Getaway (Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, Cozumel). The cost of an inside cabin for any of the 3 ships is within $400 of one another - Pearl would be ~$2,350, Escape would be ~ $2,650, and Getaway would be ~$2,700.

I have cruised twice before. NCL Spirit out of NOLA and NCL Dawn out of Tampa, both with the same itinerary as the NCL Pearl and Getaway above.

NOLA is about 4.5-5 hours drive from us so we could just get up and drive down same day and drive back home when the cruise ends without it being too exhausting. Miami is a 13 hour drive + 1 hour ahead so we would have to either fly ($1,200-$1,500 extra) and get a hotel room or drive down there and also get a hotel room.

My boyfriend would prefer to cruise out of NOLA because it's closer, but I've been wanting to try some of the newer ships for years plus after looking at the deck plans, the newer ships seem to be more fun for kids. But that could just be me. They've never been on a cruise before, if that helps.

Can any of you here give me an insight on comparing these 3 ships, especially from the perspective of not quite pre-teens?

Edited by jlacy1987

We love the Pearl and the Jewel class ships. However, we've been on the Getaway twice. It is a beautiful ship and wonderful crew. Just a little too big for us though. However, for the 8 year old, lots to do. Here's a huge bunch of Getaway pictures I took a year or so ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway1/DSCN5596_zps8f68ea0b.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

If cost is even close to a determining factor I would cruise out of NOLA. Your airfare is going to be a lot more than you think, in fact probably double what you are thinking, plus you will have at least one night hotel at around $200 to add on before the cruise.

I am cruising Getaway this spring but only because as a solo it is a lot less expensive than the Dawn or Pearl. Your itinerary is great on that western leg, in fact it is better than the eastern one. You will only have two sea days on the western leg, so IMO the ship is not as important. There is plenty for an 8 year old to do on the Pearl.

The night before the cruise, pack up the car at around 7pm and drive. Each adult can do half of the driving while the other (and the child) sleeps. Arrive at port of Miami, park the car, get an early boarding group and get on board and enjoy (my vote is for Escape).

The money saved by not flying/hotel can be used for many things including parking ($140 at POM) room upgrade, spa pass, VIBE pass, excursions, SDP meals, drinks, souvenirs, etc.

I've done the NY-Florida drive many, many times. If I want Escape in 2018, I might have to do it again. :mad:

You are going to want to check airfare. Flying anywhere around Thanksgiving and to Florida especially is always really expensive. Then you'd need to fly in the night before and get a hotel.

I would probably choose the Escape if the cost were similar but I think you're going to find the Pearl out of NOLA will be way more cost effective.

I vote Escape. Wonderful ship and itinerary. Got her booked again.

I've only been on the Getaway; however, from my understanding, you're getting all of that and then some on the Escape!

The itinerary for the escape is awesome, considering that you've done the Western Caribbean cruises already.

For the prices, I would go with the new itinerary on a new ship!

You're really in an enviable position! Although 12 hours is a bit long for a drive, it's doable and you'll save a lot by avoiding airfare to either of the ports.

We were on the Getaway in September and are booked on the Escape in September 2017...it was our first cruise, and geez, are we HOOKED now! We had a lot of fun and thoroughly enjoyed NCL, the Getaway, Silas (the cruise director), and most of the Roatan/Belize/Cozumel/Costa Maya itinerary - the entire experience. My understanding is that the Getaway is maybe just a tad nicer than the Escape - but probably not enough to make a difference. On our cruise, one of the things we'd wished we had was one more "sea day" and both the Escape and the Pearl offer that. In the end though, you have to do the calculating.

Either way, I don't think I'd ever arrive "day of." Rather, given the cash you'll save by driving, get a hotel for a night so you have some extra time to account for any travel problems with the drive, and most likely a better rested first day on the ship.

Have fun!

I've done Pearl and Getaway, just a couple of months ago. Both were great cruises but as far as things to do and being on the ship, Getaway wins by far!!! There is just soooo much more for a young person (for anyone really) to do on Getaway (and Escape) vs Pearl. Pearl is a lovely ship but I think not on the same level as the other 2.

We have been on all 3 and my 10 year old daughter's favorite is the Escape because of the pool, slides and mini water park. However, the family pool on the Escape is 5.4 ft. deep so just beware. The Escape and Getaway are almost the same with the exception of different dining venues and shows. I would go for either the Getaway or the Escape. I loved the pearl too but if you are looking for more activities for the kids, I would go for the Escape and the Getaway. I hope this helps!!