Drinks

silver service

Cunard customers tend have money and Cunard likes to take it... that's all I think haha.

I'm more use to the unlimited beverage packages on other cruise lines so when I cruised on Cunard I just had a few soft drinks, can really add up cost wise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The exchange rate isn't helping at the moment!

When you say they are expensive, what are you using as a comparison ?

They may be more expensive than my local pub but they look positively reasonable when compared to hotel bar prices (which is a fairer comparison).

Why do you suppose drinks on cunard are so expensive?

Including that service charge. I consider £5 for a small beer quite a lot.

Just returned from the 24nighter on queen victoria. Perhaps the well

Heeled, will disagree. Your thoughts please.

Regards, mike.

£5 for a beer? That's like $9-$10 AUD. I've never paid that onboard, except for specialty/imported beers.

I've certainly paid a whole lot more in some London hotels, as much as double Cunard prices.

The prices are comparable with most city centres.

If I'm spending a good few thousands on a cruise or crossing, I don't tend to get worried about relatively small amounts. Perhaps that's why my drinks bill always could choke a horse.

Stewart

I've certainly paid a whole lot more in some London hotels, as much as double Cunard prices.

The prices are comparable with most city centres.

If I'm spending a good few thousands on a cruise or crossing, I don't tend to get worried about relatively small amounts. Perhaps that's why my drinks bill always could choke a horse.

Stewart

choke a horse!!! Ha ha

Regards, mike.

I agree completely its the only thing I don't like about Cunard and there is no need to charge the extortionate prices they and thankfully I do not drink much.

I agree completely its the only thing I don't like about Cunard and there is no need to charge the extortionate prices they and thankfully I do not drink much.

Compared to your local pub a fiver would be over the top, though there are pubs in U.K. where you could pay that. Cunard ships aren't comparable to local pubs, and you're not likely to find any alternatives till you disembark.

P&O are cheaper, but then P&O are not Cunard.

DAVID

Everybody seems to forget that pubs and hotels in the UK when they purchase alcohol they have to pay duty to the UK government. When they purchase alcohol from whichever country for onboard ship consumption they do not pay duty so therefore are making much more profit on say comparible prices in pubs and hotels. You can purchase any day from a supermarket in UK spirits at £15 a litre bottle and even at the higher US measure of 40ml that works out at 25 drinks which equals to 60p and Cunard purchase it duty free so pay about half that price so is a total RIP OFF.

I agree with the original poster; the drinks on Cunard are too expensive.

I found the drinks prices on P&O to be reasonable, but then the quality, taking everything into account, wasn't as good. The exchange rate on top of already high prices was the clincher to sail with P&O last month, but I much prefer Cunard.

It's a shame they can't operate a dual pricing system; and price everything in USD and GPB and you choose what your folio is charged in.

However if people don't complain, nothing will change. I hope you left your opinion as feedback.

Edited by h3rjp

I agree with the original poster; the drinks on Cunard are too expensive.

I found the drinks prices on P&O to be reasonable, but then the quality, taking everything into account, wasn't as good. The exchange rate on top of already high prices was the clincher to sail with P&O last month, but I much prefer Cunard.

It's a shame they can't operate a dual pricing system; and price everything in USD and GPB and you choose what your folio is charged in.

However if people don't complain, nothing will change. I hope you left your opinion as feedback.

Cunard use a generous US measure of spirit , 1.5oz (42.6196 ml) which is nearly a double measure to that served on P&O which serve UK measures at 25ml.

Edited by Pennbank

If you don't like the price then don't buy the product.

You can apply that to pretty much anything in life.

Wise words Toad ;) There are many who aspire to travel onboard a Cunard ship, however, in the end unable to embrace the ethos.

Regards, mike.

They are what they are. One is Cruising on Cunard, so does it matter?

If everybody was like you (counting pennies), there would be no signature cocktails, and the Commodore Club would be empty every evening.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Wise words Toad ;) There are many who aspire to travel onboard a Cunard ship, however, in the end unable to embrace the ethos.

its not the ethos they're complaining about it's the cost of embracing a pint of Stella.

DAVID.

That's for a pint though. The OP said small beer. Or maybe we have different definitions of small. A pint is around 470ml, but a small beer in my view would be 330ml.

A small beer would indeed be a 330ml bottle. A pint is 568ml.

On Cunard, a small bottle of lager is pretty much the same price as a pint of lager on board (around $6, or £5.50 (i.e. +15% / 1.24)).

But that's just the same as in the UK; i.e. a 330ml bottle is around the same price as a pint, often even more. Bottled beer is always a more expensive way to drink (volume wise).

Stella Tortoise is $5.95 plus 15% = $6.84 /1.24 = £5.51 pint

You would pay that in a pub in Auckland for a pint of beer.

I think Cunard's prices are middle of the road - neither cheap nor very expensive. And the strength/weakness of the US Dollar against your local currency will make a difference as well.

The simple answer to why do they charge it is "because they can."

Personally, they are in line with what I would expect. About what a nice bar would charge and less than hotels in NY and major cities. Also, I find that the prices similar to the US where liquor and beer are more in line with each other than in Europe and countries where hard liquor is much more heavily taxed than beer. You may think that the QM2 beer is expensive and I'll tell you that the cost of a decent (double in the UK) whisky at a London pub is outrageous. From each of our perspectives, we're both right.

Also, as mentioned, the shots are US-sized and almost twice the size of a UK drink.

And Cunard is in the distinct minority which allow you to take alcohol aboard.

Edited by MarkBearSF

A small beer would indeed be a 330ml bottle. A pint is 568ml.

On Cunard, a small bottle of lager is pretty much the same price as a pint of lager on board (around $6, or £5.50 (i.e. +15% / 1.24)).

But that's just the same as in the UK; i.e. a 330ml bottle is around the same price as a pint, often even more. Bottled beer is always a more expensive way to drink (volume wise).

Yes, I think I paid £6.10 for a large Peroni at Pizza Express. Add a tip and its quite expensive.