Breakaway Mini Suite - Access To Back Of TV

wee-haggis

Mini-Suites are just like regular balconies, just a little extra space & bathroom configuration. HDTV using HDMI port for its feed/data input, it's on a wall-mounted bracket and there is just enough room to reach & disconnect, bring your own HDMI cable (6' minimum, 10' is preferred) as all other input are firmware disabled (even Harmony universal remote control can't access it to make changes ... leave those RGB composite cables at home)

See this post I did in 2015 - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46103736&postcount=12

That's my Sony Viao notebook PC screencast onto HDTV using HDMI cable - nice to be able to playback my own downloaded MP4's - took about BigBlue bluetooth speaker for better sound.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46109420&postcount=17

You will lose access to ship's TV channels & interactive menu items, etc. but account reviews can be done on your (downloaded free & installed, pre-cruise) mobile iConcierge App, activated via ship's free WiFi inTRAnet. When done & before disembarkation, please reconnect the HDMI.

** There are plenty of other interesting details you can go over in the review. All of the Dropbox links will no longer be available after mid March, 2017 due to changes done to Public Folder sharing announced by Dropbox this month. If and when necessary & warranted, select photos, images, PDF's and links will be moved to another cloud server for access by CC readers.

Too me, it's strange how these features differ from NCL ship to ship. On Epic (TA Oct/Nov), nothing needed to be disconnected. I just plugged in hdmi to easily accessible port on TV (Samsung), pressed the button with the input icon to select the port, and we accessed our iPad mini 2. I was going to try this on Dawn a few weeks ago, but we didn't bring our 220 power bar (only outlet near the TV was European) or extension cord (the iPad connection requires power). The remote was the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think at this point that NCL has done away with all the DVD players and TVs with this function - and as well as the DVD library on board.

All the recent movies are available for purchase by menu on the in cabin TV.

If in a suite the movies are complimentary.

In most cases your electronic bag of gadgetry will be in vain unless you bring

your own laptop computer - but sadly no wide screen-supermax-stuff with multi-digital speakers !

A plus in that by this time all in cabin TVs are FLAT Screen and not CRT head banging obstructions when walking about the cabin.

But you came to cruise and I hope not become a cruise TV Critic. LOL !

It varied for sure, by ship and by stateroom categories and results/outcoome might disappoint, and it is not for non-tech geeks (most CC'ers). For tech reasons in ordinary travel, I carry & use both Chromestick & latest Amazon Streaming stick that's great as workaround on hotel WiFi firewall as long as I can access HDMI, plus run my secured WiFi inTRAnet hotspot (not for most others.)

9b6c5f948653009e6801b568c96de5e7.jpg

I also make sure everything is safely restored when done. Alas, it's sometimes easier with your own laptop, 17" wide-screen is better but 11.6" is fine sitting in a motorcoach or in the back of a flying tin can (narrowbody jet going transcontinental) - lighter & it won't blow the circuit breaker of those 65W powered ports under the plane's seats (sometimes, it's shared.)

Newer TV on NCL ships (i.e. POA, Gem, etc.) coming out of recent drydock with LG TV are said to be locked down tightly, no HDMI access, period. I will get my chance to look at it next year. Regardless, those gadgets are always packed in my pouches and on the road when I travel - just as important as the field trauma/first aid pouch ... next to the "Tumi" with the personal medications.

Sent from my XT1521 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288