Texting on Grandeur

I have read some boards regarding the Internet on the newer ships that allows people with iPhones to use the iPhone messaging without purchasing the Voom internet packages. Has anyone been on the Grandeur that has also had this experience? We have booked a cruise in July and This is our first time sailing with RC. I did not check the cost of the Internet packages before booking. We only need to be able to message each other and I really don't want to have to pay $500 just for this service. TIA for any insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Grandeur, you would have to purchase VOOM for the phones to use iMessage.

Depending on your carrier, you might be able to use Cellular at Sea to text, at around $0.50 per message.

Edited by clarea

I have read some boards regarding the Internet on the newer ships that allows people with iPhones to use the iPhone messaging without purchasing the Voom internet packages.]

On Harmony and Quantum class ships you have the option of using the texting feature of the RoyalIQ app to text between devices on board at $7.95 per device for the entire cruise. No VOOM needed for this. Unfortunately, this feature is not available on Grandeur.

We only need to be able to message each other and I really don't want to have to pay $500 just for this service. TIA for any insight.

Where are you seeing $500???

We got the basic Voom surf for about $63 for one device for our last two 7-day cruises (Navigator and Jewel). That was by purchasing in advance. You could get two devices and use wifi calling/texting the entire trip.

Where are you seeing $500???

We got the basic Voom surf for about $63 for one device for our last two 7-day cruises (Navigator and Jewel). That was by purchasing in advance. You could get two devices and use wifi calling/texting the entire trip.

Surf only is not available to book online. The OP's trip on Grandeur could be up to 12 days and with perhaps several people/devices it could be that much for Stream.

Surf only is not available to book online. The OP's trip on Grandeur could be up to 12 days and with perhaps several people/devices it could be that much for Stream.

I was looking at the internet offerings on RC website. They only show the Voom streaming and for 5 devices on a 9 day cruise that equates to $500. I am traveling with an elderly mother that is having some cognitive memory issues and tends to get turned around easily in the ships. The impairment is not to the point that we feel it is a danger to be by herself but she gets flustered and confused easily and it's best for her to be able to connect with us in the event that she gets turned around. If they offer a basic package onboard that would be ideal. But paying over $20 per day just to text is too much.

If they offer a basic package onboard that would be ideal. But paying over $20 per day just to text is too much.

As Bob mentioned in an earlier post, check with your carrier on what is possible (and cost) with the shipboard cell service. If you don't expect other texts/calls and will only need texting between two devices, that might be a cheaper option. While Surf is offered on board it is about the same price as Stream purchased online. You do not need to purchase the 5 device package - a two device package (one for the mother's device and the second for another device) would suffice.

As Bob mentioned in an earlier post, check with your carrier on what is possible (and cost) with the shipboard cell service. If you don't expect other texts/calls and will only need texting between two devices, that might be a cheaper option. While Surf is offered on board it is about the same price as Stream purchased online. You do not need to purchase the 5 device package - a two device package (one for the mother's device and the second for another device) would suffice.

Thank you for the help. Ideally we would like to have 5, mine, my DS, my DM and the 2 teen/pre-teens we have in the group but if necessary we can make do with 2. I try not to be a helicopter parent but when DD isn't where she's supposed to be or plans get crossed/changed. It's nice to be able to text rather than searching the ship. We may even need to go back to white boards on room doors. Thanks again for the info/advice.

Thank you for the help. Ideally we would like to have 5, mine, my DS, my DM and the 2 teen/pre-teens we have in the group but if necessary we can make do with 2. I try not to be a helicopter parent but when DD isn't where she's supposed to be or plans get crossed/changed. It's nice to be able to text rather than searching the ship. We may even need to go back to white boards on room doors. Thanks again for the info/advice.

It really isn't that difficult to locate people or communicate in other ways other than texting on board. Especially on a ship such as Grandeur which is a relatively small ship with only a handful of likely venues in which to find someone. We've never had to rely on texting to keep in touch on any of our cruises. Just discuss daily plans, meeting places and times, along with door messages, etc., and you should be fine.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It really isn't that difficult to locate people or communicate in other ways other than texting on board. Especially on a ship such as Grandeur which is a relatively small ship with only a handful of likely venues in which to find someone. We've never had to rely on texting to keep in touch on any of our cruises. Just discuss daily plans, meeting places and times, along with door messages, etc., and you should be fine.

Thank you for the info and I appreciate your reply but As previously stated while the text helps with the teens it's not necessary. The main concern is an elderly traveler in the early stages of cognitive memory loss. She isn't a danger and isn't near a point that she needs constant care but does tend to get easily turned around on the ships and often can't figure out where she is then forgets where she was going when she gets flustered with the realization of not knowing where she is. Texting has been a blessing as we can usually either tell her where she is by her surroundings or come get her if she gets too overwhelmed. When she gets flustered she's not going to remember a conversation about where everyone will be that happened that morning.

It sounds like the most important thing would be that the user interface would be familiar to her. My understanding is that the IQ App, while it is certainly more affordable and has a texting feature, isn't that convenient/intuitive. Is there a texting app she is accustomed to using over wi-fi?

As others have said, you could just go ahead and text and pay whatever your carrier charges (it might be 50 cents/text, which for once in a while isn't a big deal), but in my experience, the texts weren't always delivered. We lost our kids on Coco Cay once and the texts never came through.

I know the wi-fi seems costly, but it's so much less expensive than on Celebrity, I'm not complaining! (I know it's a lot more than Carnival, though.)

I don't even think I want to know how much celebrity charges. We are generally Carnival cruisers and are apparently spoiled by the $25 entire cruise social media package. [emoji23]. We are close to Baltimore and couldn't resist a 9 night cruise only 2 hours away from us! So much better than the 12 hour trek to FL! Thanks again to everyone that has offered suggestions! Happy sailing!

You could consider walkie talkies. There are some about the same size of a cell phone available on Amazon and are very simple to use.

Thank you! I actually have a set and have been considering them but I have also been told that due to the ship having so much metal the reception can be iffie but I'm definitely thinking of taking them as a backup!