Lobster on Regal Princess

Rstamper

Do they have lobster on one of the formal nights in the main dining room on a 7 night cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had it a few time(14 day B2B)Though the steaks were pretty mundane, even in the specialty rest. the seafood was very good.

Found my answer on Google: re: warm water lobsters

"Warm water lobsters are found in warm waters of the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and the coast of Asia. They have a tail and a “head” (carapace) that looks similar to those of a cold water lobster, but warm water lobsters do not have claws, and instead have long spiny antennae. The only edible meat in a warm water lobster is found in the lobster’s tail.

Warm water lobsters are sometimes called spiny lobsters or rock lobsters, and since they are less expensive than the more desirable cold water lobster (the classic “Maine lobster”) their tails are often frozen and served simply as “lobster tail.” If you ever had a tough “lobster tail” served at a hotel banquet or on a mass market cruise ship, perhaps as part of a “Surf-and-Turf” platter, it was almost certainly the frozen tail of a warm water lobster, most probably a Caribbean lobster from the Bahamas or Honduras." (FWIW, I went and asked my trusted local fishmonger, who told me that for cruise ships much of the lobster tails and shrimp are sourced from Asia). :eek:

While often referred to as “lobster,” warm water lobsters are not closely related to the cold water Maine lobster. For example, while the warm water Spiny lobster and the cold water Maine lobster are both crustaceans and decapods, they are from of different genus, family, and species:

Happy sailing in 2017.

You learn something new every day. I want to go to Maine to taste real lobster. Maybe next year.

Shredie,

You are so right about the prawns they are way better than the lobster. IMHO

I don't think the lobster is that good.

I agree. Just got off the Regal and the prawns were excellent...the lobster, not so much, even in Sabatini's.

Thanks.!

We will definitely check out Kelly's Landing per your recommendation on our next stay in Fort Lauderdsle pre'and post Panama Canal cruise in 2017.

Happy cruising in 2017!

We couldn't get in there last year. way too crowded. GG's is a great alternative.

Can you answer:

So where does the warm water lobster tails served on Princess (and other cruise lines) come from? USA or other? Asia? India? Other third world countries?

Pretty much from the Caribbean & around the Bahamas.

I don't feel lobster in any Princess dining venue is anything to rave about, but if I had to choose I would agree the lobster tails offered in Sabatini's are the best. I usually order a couple of tails without the other items as an accompaniment to my main dish.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I've had Maine Lobster in the Queens Grill on Cunard. Otherwise it's the warm water variety. I will give Princess credit it was very good on the Regal. The Pink Lobster from Brazil was excellent during the St. Valentine's Day dinner at the Crab Shack.

Your right I could have it shipped to her at a ridiculous cost. Now imagine giving this woman a live lobster and asking her to cook it let alone take it put of the shipping container. Then you want a person to cook a lobster and have it taste like you are used to having in Maine. Not gonna happen. How about we send a beef brisket to someone in the Maine and have them cook it to taste like BBQ found in Texas. What do you think the chances are that either will get it done right the first time?

You can find them in Most Publix markets in Fl. Being from NE. We prefer our local ones as opposed to those being shipped to a supermarket.

We couldn't get in there last year. way too crowded. GG's is a great alternative.

Does GG serve Maine lobster? Good Italian cuisine?

The Quarterdeck, and 17th St. Fisheries , are seafood restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale, the Water Taxi Captain (a local) highly recommended for Main Lobster, and fresh seafood.

http://quarterdeckrestaurants.com/.

http://15streetfisheries.com

I will put GG's on the list.

They are on my list for our Panama Canal cruise in 2017.

Then I can skip the warm water lobster tails and prawns served on Princess. ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We tried to eat at Kelly's Landing two years in a row and couldn't get in...the place is small and the wait was long. This year we decided to go early (just before 5:00). Not very crowded when we arrived, but by the time we left, the place was full.

We tried to eat at Kelly's Landing two years in a row and couldn't get in...the place is small and the wait was long. This year we decided to go early (just before 5:00). Not very crowded when we arrived, but by the time we left, the place was full.

We have been going to Kelly's Landing for many years (which is why we recommended it here on CC) and have always been able to get a table without a long wait. How? We simply go over around 8! It is just like on cruise ships. If you eat early (before 7:30) things are pretty crowded. But dine after 7:45 (and share large tables) and you will seldom wait more then 5 min. And the on board shows for the later diners (often at 7 on Princess) are generally not very crowded. It is amazing how dining habit have changed (except in Florida where folks have been dining before 5..for many years to save a few dollars ont he Early Birds). When we started cruising (over forty years ago) folks had cocktails after 6 and dinner after 8. Now, the have dinner at tea time :). We have actually seen early diners on Princess in a queue at 5:15....waiting to get into the Fixed dining room to go to their assigned table. Go figure. At that early hour we had not even showered..to get ready for "cocktail hour."

Hank

Found my answer on Google: re: warm water lobsters

"Warm water lobsters are found in warm waters of the Caribbean, Mediterranean, and the coast of Asia. They have a tail and a “head” (carapace) that looks similar to those of a cold water lobster, but warm water lobsters do not have claws, and instead have long spiny antennae. The only edible meat in a warm water lobster is found in the lobster’s tail.

Warm water lobsters are sometimes called spiny lobsters or rock lobsters, and since they are less expensive than the more desirable cold water lobster (the classic “Maine lobster”) their tails are often frozen and served simply as “lobster tail.” If you ever had a tough “lobster tail” served at a hotel banquet or on a mass market cruise ship, perhaps as part of a “Surf-and-Turf” platter, it was almost certainly the frozen tail of a warm water lobster, most probably a Caribbean lobster from the Bahamas or Honduras." (FWIW, I went and asked my trusted local fishmonger, who told me that for cruise ships much of the lobster tails and shrimp are sourced from Asia). :eek:

While often referred to as “lobster,” warm water lobsters are not closely related to the cold water Maine lobster. For example, while the warm water Spiny lobster and the cold water Maine lobster are both crustaceans and decapods, they are from of different genus, family, and species:

Happy sailing in 2017.

I've had Maine Lobster that was tough as nails, too. You overcook it & it will be pretty bad.

Does GG serve Maine lobster? Good Italian cuisine?

The Quarterdeck, and 17th St. Fisheries , are seafood restaurants in Ft. Lauderdale, the Water Taxi Captain (a local) highly recommended for Main Lobster, and fresh seafood.

http://quarterdeckrestaurants.com/.

http://15streetfisheries.com

I will put GG's on the list.

They are on my list for our Panama Canal cruise in 2017.

Then I can skip the warm water lobster tails and prawns served on Princess. ;)

Yes. The Lobster was very good. It was the "Rock" variety, but cooked just right. I used to visit my Aunt in Hollywood & we'd all go to the place. Back then it was called "The Gold Coast". It was actually kind of a mob joint. They did have excellent Prime Rib, though. There's a lot of Russian mob there now, but we felt the food was very nice. We ate there the night before our B2B last Feb. on the Regal. We did eat at the Quarterdeck a few years back when we were going on the Eclipse(like we're doing later this month)Not a fancy place, just good straight up seafood.

Edited by keithm
add ons.

• 2 years later...
On 12/31/2016 at 10:34 AM, TracieABD said:

Well, technically speaking, frozen lobster is lobster. However, it may not be delicious lobster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's actually not lobster. It's a crustacean called a Langasti

On 12/31/2016 at 10:34 AM, TracieABD said:

Well, technically speaking, frozen lobster is lobster. However, it may not be delicious lobster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, it's not lobster. It's called a Langostino. It's actually a species of shrimp.  Almost all frozen "lobster" tails are Langostinos. 

I haven't read all of these posts...

I was recently on the Regal...

The Lobster on the second formal night was one small, not so great, lobster tail over the risotto.

That's it....

No large prawns...

No crab legs to be seen.

My negative reviews of the food I was served, as well as the service,  with the current changes and cutbacks,  have been posted here in prev. threads.

Edited by Wishing on a star

3 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I haven't read all of these posts...

I was recently on the Regal...

The Lobster on the second formal night was one small, not so great, lobster tail over the risotto.

That's it....

No large prawns...

No crab legs to be seen.

My negative reviews of the food I was served, as well as the service,  with the current changes and cutbacks,  have been posted here in prev. threads.

On the Regal a couple of years ago with our three under five grandchildren, they enjoyed the lobster, shrimp, mussels and spaghetti. I ordered two as they were small. We also ordered two shrimp cocktail for each on our table of eight. No one left hungry

Loves Mussels_2901

Not the neatest eater but the waitstaff loved watching her eat.

Shrimp for our table_3045

Shrimp cocktail was already at our table when we arrived

Howard

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CaribbeanJen said:

I got off the Regal this past Sunday.  We absolutely loved the lobster.  It's served over a risotto bed.  Our table of 6 all thought they were delicious and 1/2 of us ordered a second entree.  

Although the flavor of the lobster over a bed of risotto was good, we were disappointed at the small size.  The lobster tail was about the size of large colossal size prawn.  About 3 1/2-4 inches long lobster tail.   Not much lobster meat after removed from the shell.  About 2-3 ounces of lobster meat.  YMMV.

King

0887FFEF-03F4-40EA-A163-0EA04B740E87_zps

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1