Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Spins...thanks for your sympathy! :) Honestly with my hate relationship with winter I am not living in the ideal location! Glad to hear that your son is progressing! We booked a last minute transatlantic on the Wind leaving March 27 from Fort Lauderdale. It's not getting away from the winter but it gives me something to look forward to through the dad'blasted snow! :)

Spins...thanks for your sympathy! :) Honestly with my hate relationship with winter I am not living in the ideal location! Glad to hear that your son is progressing! We booked a last minute transatlantic on the Wind leaving March 27 from Fort Lauderdale. It's not getting away from the winter but it gives me something to look forward to through the dad'blasted snow! :)

I'll give you a wave as we get off on your arrival!

Anything info you'd like to get prior to your cruise we could help with?

We booked a last minute transatlantic on the Wind leaving March 27 from Fort Lauderdale. It's not getting away from the winter but it gives me something to look forward to through the dad'blasted snow! :)

Congrats M, that's great news.

Hope you allow a bit of time before you get the flights back from MC! There is so much to see and so much to eat ...

Jeff

Sad news from Soapy she has asked me to share with her Cooler mates.

Sadly her dad passed today. He had a decent wicket until 90, and had been ill recently. She has the consolation and support of a lovely close family and her black bundle of loving fur.

I know all ou thoughts are with her.

Jeff

Congrats M, that's great news.

Hope you allow a bit of time before you get the flights back from MC! There is so much to see and so much to eat ...

Jeff

Thanks J! Unfortunately we will fly out of MC on the day we disembark. :( We have visited before years ago on our very first cruise but it would have been nice to re-discover it.

Sad news from Soapy she has asked me to share with her Cooler mates.

Sadly her dad passed today. He had a decent wicket until 90, and had been ill recently. She has the consolation and support of a lovely close family and her black bundle of loving fur.

I know all ou thoughts are with her.

Jeff

So sorry to hear this.Although he had be unwell for some time it is always hard to say goodbye. My thoughts are with at this very sad time

Happy Belated Valentine's Day everyone. I took a much needed day off yesterday and enjoyed it with the hubby. We had agreed to "No gifts" since the cruise was coming up, but he surprised me with the most beautiful jewelry box! He says we will fill it up while in the Caribbean. HAHA Somehow I doubt that.

Those Mussels looked AMAZING. I have a recipe for a mustard cream sauce with steamed mussels, and it is one of my favorite dishes to make. In fact, thinking of indulging with it tonight.

One week from right now I will be on a plane somewhere between the US mainland and San Juan. Can't wait.

Today was my bi-monthly bulk ragout day with eight tubs into the freezer and paired today with linguine. Wifey said it was the best vat I have made so far, largely I think because of the quantity of tomato which she loves.

Jeff

AAAD9DEA-7AFE-4B71-896A-E3C942A86213.jpg

Camera

iPad

Focal Length

4.28mm

Aperture

f/2.4

Exposure

1/17s

ISO

Hello Coolers.....Thank you so much for all your kind wishes, it's very much appreciated. Thanks to Jeffers for posting......it's so lovely to see all the food and travel pics....life has to go on and be enjoyed. Sophia

ShotsnCruises: Happy Belated Valentine's Day everyone. I took a much needed day off yesterday and enjoyed it with the hubby. One week from right now I will be on a plane somewhere between the US mainland and San Juan. Can't wait.

So sorry for Sophia's loss. Yes' date=' agree that it is not "easy", but that you are 100% correct on [b']"life has to go on and be enjoyed"[/b].

Yes, Happy Valentine's Day!! Glad you got some time off and with your hubby.

To help build the excitement for your San Juan trip, below are a few of my pictures from that fun and historic city that we enjoyed so much two years ago at the end of our Amazon River-Caribbean adventure.

We are now just eleven days away from starting a 15-day Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing that goes through the Panama Canal and will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central American and Mexico.

AUSTRALIA??: Have a small-group luncheon today with a visiting group of young political leaders from Australia touring our State Capitol, etc. Always love being and interacting with those fun, interesting people from that country that we loved so much from our early 2014 visit there. It will be great to catch up about the latest in developments for Australia and that part of the world.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 209,327 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is San Juan's City Hall in their historic Old Town area. Nice fountain and plaza in front of this colorful, classical building.:

SanJuanA6_zps5dulnoaf.jpg

Here are just one example of the various interesting and historic buildings in and around San Juan's Old Town area. Notice the narrow streets? Does this bring back memories for those who have visited San Juan previously?:

SanJuanA5_zpscivdi2vr.jpg

Here is one view from near the San Juan Gate of the famed walled fortress that guarded this town from its early 1500's period. This San Juan Gate is right near where the Governor's Palace or La Fortaleza (The Fortress) is located. It is the current official residence of the Governor of Puerto Rico. It was built between 1533 and 1540 to defend the harbor of San Juan. It is the oldest executive mansion in continuous use in the "New World".:

SanJuanA10_zpsto4lxxhd.jpg

Here is one view from their historic fortress built to protect San Juan's important harbor. It was many levels, old cannons sitting around, dramatic angles and views for what seeing what is here and nearby. All along the walls are the dome-covered sentry stations known as garitas. These rounded structures have become one of the cultural symbol of Puerto Rico. In this visual, you can see the beach, part of the historic Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery, etc.:

SanJuanA21_zpsbqdvxifs.jpg

Terry, thanks for posting the beautiful pictures. I am excited to spend 3 days in San Juan pre-cruise. I love this city. It has been a while since I have been there, and this will be hubby's first visit. I hope he falls in love with it the same way I did. Mostly, I can't wait for the food. This pre-cruise dieting is rough!

Terry, thanks for posting the beautiful pictures. I am excited to spend 3 days in San Juan pre-cruise. I love this city. It has been a while since I have been there, and this will be hubby's first visit. I hope he falls in love with it the same way I did. Mostly, I can't wait for the food. This pre-cruise dieting is rough!

Great that you have three-day prior to your cruise in San Juan. AND, that it will be your husband's first trip there. WOW!! That will be fun. On dieting, yes, the food is good in San Juan, but there are lots of great "walking opportunities" to burn off those calories and get ready for your cruise. You have to "eat more" in order to have the "energy" and fuel for these so many busy activities. That's my "story" and I am sticking to this message and viewpoint!! Keep repeating it over and over so that maybe it can be true.

Loved Jeff's food picture!! Looks great and very tasty!!

My wife's brother (and his wife) from Kansas are in San Juan today. It's their first such Caribbean trip. They been enjoying the golf and weather on this island. Hope to have more details and pictures from them later.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,940 views for these postings.

Thank you Terry for posting such beautiful photos of "my" Old San Juan. I was born and raised in the San Juan area, though I've been living in the mainland for close to 30 years now. Shots, I hope you enjoy your visit, and remember to try our stuffed"mofongo"or "tostones". Across the pier, a block from the Sheraton Hotel, there used to be a cafe called Punto de Vista (pun on the words "outlook or opinion" and "view") and they served a pretty good mofongo stuffed with shrimp fricassé. Take the free trolley car from that same area and you can hop on and off in many interesting places. Enjoy!!

Mmm. I absolutely love the tostones! Especially with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and some salt. Mofongo...Not as much, though I didn't dislike it. Just a little dry. Some say that it's a food that is only served to tourists.

I like the actual word mofongo, though. After a trip to PR with my little sister and her BF a few years back, we called each other "mofongo" for a good long time.

I am going to have to go on a serious diet shortly. Have been eating so much delicious food on this India trip that I think I will burst soon. Incredible food. Though I have to admit that I am really craving a steak right about now...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you Terry for posting such beautiful photos of "my" Old San Juan. I was born and raised in the San Juan area, though I've been living in the mainland for close to 30 years now. Shots, I hope you enjoy your visit, and remember to try our stuffed"mofongo"or "tostones". Across the pier, a block from the Sheraton Hotel, there used to be a cafe called Punto de Vista (pun on the words "outlook or opinion" and "view") and they served a pretty good mofongo stuffed with shrimp fricassé. Take the free trolley car from that same area and you can hop on and off in many interesting places. Enjoy!!

Punto de Vista is my FAVORITE Old San Juan restaurant, and the FIRST stop we will make after checking into the hotel.

JP, I love Indian food, but would feel the same way on an extended diet. The mofongo can be rather dry, unless prepared with "chicharrón" (pork crackling). Sometimes, restaurants use bacon or other fat sources and it doesn't taste the same. The shrimp in "guiso" would provide the moisture, though. Have been following your posts and looking forward to more.

Shots, great you have enjoyed Punto de Vista! If you get to Luquillo Beach or El Yunque rainforest, you should stop at the row of rustic little cafés, called "chinchorros", where locals eat and enjoy the lively atmosphere. Hope to follow your postings and I'll certainly feel envious, especially since I now live in the freezing Syracuse area of NY.

JP, I love Indian food, but would feel the same way on an extended diet. The mofongo can be rather dry, unless prepared with "chicharrón" (pork crackling). Sometimes, restaurants use bacon or other fat sources and it doesn't taste the same. The shrimp in "guiso" would provide the moisture, though. Have been following your posts and looking forward to more.

Shots, great you have enjoyed Punto de Vista! If you get to Luquillo Beach or El Yunque rainforest, you should stop at the row of rustic little cafés, called "chinchorros", where locals eat and enjoy the lively atmosphere. Hope to follow your postings and I'll certainly feel envious, especially since I now live in the freezing Syracuse area of NY.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsyracusecom%2Fposts%2F10158170284850366%3A0&width=500" width="500" height="589" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true"></iframe>