Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Jeff, those menus do look tasty. Will there be any for you, or only for wifey?

Ashley (the ancient cat) is looking a little better. She started wobbling around a little bit yesterday and today started eating again. Three days without food, for a cat that barely weighs 5 pounds, is a long time! It's acting like labyrinthitis would in a human, with what appears to be less nausea, improving appetite, and improving balance over time. Relieved for now, but only five weeks until our India trip so hoping she's much better by then.

Spent yesterday afternoon running some errands, and we ended up switching over from Verizon to T-Mobile. The process was painless and I think it will be a better deal for us in terms of international travel. Verizon is good in many ways and we'd been with them for a long time but their international data plans are just not competitive. So...new phones and a new carrier for the new year!

We went out to Saratoga last night for a New Year's Eve party with friends. We stayed over at the adjacent hotel, but were up early and home by 7:30. We made Belgian waffles for breakfast and broke out a bottle of Finger Lakes sparkling wine from HJ Wiemer to go with it. :D It was very festive!

Pretty tired from the last few nights of poor sleep though, so I'm very glad that we're off tomorrow.

I duck out for a few weeks and you guys create a whole new thread!

Things here have been very busy, so my apologies for whatever I have missed.

I do have a Silversea question I am hoping you can answer for me. My Caribbean sailing is 54 days away, and I cannot find where dress code is listed for the itinerary. Can someone point me in the right direction? It's time to start packing!

Hi ShotsnCruises, Happy New Year! I'd try the already booked section of SS, but I'm just guessing. Have a great cruise!

I duck out for a few weeks and you guys create a whole new thread!

Things here have been very busy, so my apologies for whatever I have missed.

I do have a Silversea question I am hoping you can answer for me. My Caribbean sailing is 54 days away, and I cannot find where dress code is listed for the itinerary. Can someone point me in the right direction? It's time to start packing!

Shots...I'm working from memory here but I think if you login to My Silversea and hit your booking there will be something like "more details". There should be something like an itinerary for your trip and under each date on the left hand side there will be an attire designation. Formal, semi-formal or casual. I may be mis-remembering and if so, I hope someone will correct me. Good Luck Shots! There may be something called My Dining which should provide the above information. Sorry, seems there are holes in my memory banks and things have leaked out!

JP,

great to see that Ashley is looking a little better .... interest in food must be a positive sign.

No ... the menu is for both of us but she likes to have them a few days earlier - I think the anticipation is part of the trip for her. On my last flight to Singapore I didn't eat much just some Pringles and some cashews and loads of LPGS. I wish you could pre-order from a wider range - I'd love just a plate of smoke salmon and some prawns and some bread. Still .. not comlaining as we are fortunate bunnies and shouldn't whinge.

Enjoy your cruise Shots.

Jeff

Today was our new years brunch. NYE concert from Viena on satellite and then the beeb followed by a brunch and champers .... before and after ... with the loveliest of wives .... and thinking about lovely Singapore at the end of this week ....

Have a great one all.

Jeff

AC4CE660-AD9B-41A9-91BF-C763AADF5407.jpg

4F885BB2-E59B-4737-B748-A84A328FA572.jpg

Your food photo with the amazing looking "bangers" make this "new" thread" official:) Hope that everyone has a wonderful 2017 and that you find the time to continue your insightful posts and mouth-watering photos!

Edited by Travelcat2

Your food photo with the amazing looking "bangers" make this "new" thread" official:) Hope that everyone has a wonderful 2017 and that you find the time to continue your insightful posts and mouth-watering photos!

Thanks so much TC2 ..... that is so kind of you. And the same to you in 2017.

:)

Jeff

Greetings Coolers!

We have yet another freezing rain event on the go here. It is beautiful but extremely treacherous for vehicles and pedestrians. I had to put my YAKTRAX onto my boots in order to make my way to the community mail box down the street. Here is a picture of a shrub in our front yard coated in ice.

Freezing%20Rain_zpsyzcbalpo.jpg

Have a great day/evening all!

Today was our new years brunch. NYE concert from Viena on satellite and then the beeb followed by a brunch and champers .... before and after ... with the loveliest of wives .... and thinking about lovely Singapore at the end of this week .... Have a great one all. Jeff

Appreciate these wonderful food pictures, wine details, discussions on the weather challenges, etc., etc. Very interesting and helpful!! YES, so glad that Jeff mentioned and reminded me of the wonderful New Years Eve concert from Vienna. We have never there for that event on this date, but in 1997, we did get to attend a program in that historic and spectacular music hall. What great sound quality and a setting that is so inspiring!! Below are a couple of pictures from this most recent program. Caught part of it Sunday night thanks to Jeff's mention and saw more via YouTube replay. So enjoyable and lovely. This fun music program and the setting so says and summarizes the greatness associated with charming and historic Vienna.

Looking forward to hearing more details and seeing lots of visuals from Singapore. Still have not visited there, but it is on our future to-do listing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,861 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Wiener Musikverein concert hall that is the home of the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra, here are two video captures to reflect their great show from a few days back. This building is located near the Hotel Imperial and the Ringstraße Boulevard. Interesting from our visit, we learned that they built this performance area with an empty floor below it to provide the best in sound quality.:

DecTravel2016A%20022_zpscxiszk8c.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20023_zps9d7yyqqa.jpg

Greetings Coolers!

We have yet another freezing rain event on the go here. It is beautiful but extremely treacherous for vehicles and pedestrians.

Mysty, I can't help but think of this time a year ago, when we were all en route to Fort Lauderdale! Cold and icy here too. Best wishes for 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings Coolers!

We have yet another freezing rain event on the go here. It is beautiful but extremely treacherous for vehicles and pedestrians.

Mysty, I can't help but think of this time a year ago, when we were all en route to Fort Lauderdale! Cold and icy here too. Best wishes for 2017.

Hi 57 varieties! Yes, I am feeling a little down as I think back to the wonder and anticipation we felt at this time last year. Guilty secret......I have been going back and reading the blog day by day to savour the experience again.

May your 2017 be filled with love and laughter, health and happiness and hopefully we will meet again on the high seas!

Guilty secret......I have been going back and reading the blog day by day to savour the experience again.

I do that all the time. No need to feel guilty.

The blogs are a great memento of a great trip. The only problem is that I still catch typos, even years later. Embarrassing!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the tips on where to look for attire scheduling. I was able to find it!

Cold and snowy here. Makes me want to stay curled up in bed. I have to admit, going back to work after a 4 day weekend (and last week was only a 3 day work week) is very difficult. On the plus side, cruise packing/planning is in full swing and that makes me excited!

Well, the weather in UK is fairly normal winter conditions of grey and a bit cold. Unlike summer which is slightly less grey and a bit warmer. Don't forget this is the land where 2 inches of snow brings everything to a standstill and a temperature over 75 degrees F for more than 24 hours constitutes a heatwave.

However, last week it got really serious with warnings to the elderly and advice to go out only if essential. Why? Because, for 2 nights, the temperature fell below freezing. That's why we Brits and Irish are so absorbed by the weather - we don't really get any!

TTS.....I used to have acquaintances living in the Winterton/Roxby area. At the beginning of December 2010 that area received a huge amount of snow. They were cut off from the towns by the snow. It was a big deal for them! We get 20 cm of the stuff on a regular basis and the city has the necessary equipment to deal with it. Obviously, because that much snow is a rarity in the Winterton/Roxby area, they were snowed in for days. I did giggle just a bit at the time! :)

Greetings Coolers!

Joc123.....We adore Adelaide! Myster and I were there in March of 2004 and we fell in love with the city. I would move there in a blink!

We are currently at -9 C (about 16 F). I know that as a Canadian who has lived here all her life, I should be used to winters here. As I age, I am definitely not adjusting as well as I used to. Warmer climes are sounding a siren call.

J....enjoy the hell out of Singapore!

Have a great day all!

Well, it is a windy and blistery 12F degrees here! Feel's Like temps are near 0 with the wind! Lots of snow and COLD. That's Michigan for you! I read a news article yesterday that ranked Michigan as the 2nd most miserable winters in the country, Alaska was 3rd! Wasn't expecting that. I have to admit, the short days and lack of sunshine tend to get to me after a while. That's why I need the cruise!

Hi Coolers.......

Weather here in Wales is also cold but not as cold as Canada Mysty....thankfully!

I travelled up to Manchester today to the Apple Store with my failing iPad....they didn't want to know and were most unhelpful even though l was prepared to purchase a new one.....bottom line is that l must contact their customer services to change my password et al....twas a good job DD was with me to drag me out before l exploded!!!

Our very own Jeffers and Mrs J will now be enjoying the spoils of first on their way to Singapore....must be warmer there....[emoji6]

Just three weeks until l hit Spain for a long weekend..hope it'll be a bit warmer there too!

Happy Day [emoji4]

Greetings Coolers!

Joc123.....We adore Adelaide! Myster and I were there in March of 2004 and we fell in love with the city. I would move there in a blink!

We are currently at -9 C (about 16 F). I know that as a Canadian who has lived here all her life, I should be used to winters here. As I age, I am definitely not adjusting as well as I used to. Warmer climes are sounding a siren call.

J....enjoy the hell out of Singapore!

Have a great day all!

We lived in Hamilton Ontario in 1979 / 80. DH did research at McMaster university. We didn't cope with the weather at all and we often think back and laugh at how stupid and naive we were. Happy to hear you liked Adelaide - we were both born and bred here and now our boys have returned with their families it is perfect

S.....I think you should have exploded! Seriously! How is that any kind of customer service? I hope the issue gets resolved to your satisfaction very soon!

Joc123....We live north of Hamilton, Ontario in Ottawa about 5 hours away by car. Unlike many of Ontario’s cities, Ottawa does not sit on the shores of Lake Ontario. This results in higher summer temperatures in Ottawa but increases the harshness of the winters.

Ottawa has a semi-continental climate, with a warm, humid summer and a very cold winter. Winters in Ottawa are severe. Snow depths of greater than 1 cm are seen on about 120 days each year compared with about 65 days in Toronto (about an hour east of Hamilton). Much greater depths of snow are also found in Ottawa than Toronto. So you can see why Adelaide appeals! :)

Hi Coolers....... Weather here in Wales is also cold but not as cold as Canada Mysty....thankfully! I travelled up to Manchester today to the Apple Store with my failing iPad....they didn't want to know and were most unhelpful even though l was prepared to purchase a new one.

Yes, cold, COLD here in Central Ohio. 8F now and reaching a high of only 16F later this afternoon. BUT, fortunately, it is sunny here right now. That great sun helps!! Sorry on those Apple Store challenges.

For those, such as J.P. and Chris, seeking interesting and different locations, this weekend's New York Times Travel Section will have this headline: "52 Places to Go in 2017" with many different ideas for adventures to be considered for the future.

Here are a few story options and highlights of special interest to us: "Botswana: Old lions, new digs in the heart of the Okavango. If you’ve seen an African wildlife documentary in the last 30 years, chances are good that the filmmakers Dereck and Beverly Joubert had a hand in it. This spring the Jouberts, National Geographic explorers in residence, along with the company Great Plains Conservation, will open Duba Plains Camp, a luxury tented camp in a private 77,000-acre portion of the Okavango Delta that’s rife with lions, elephants and species specific to northern Botswana like the red lechwe." Yes, we super loved Botswana from our experiences being there in February of last year.

Here is another wonderful option cited: "Dubrovnik, Croatia: New ways to enjoy a gem on the Dalmatian Coast. With its limestone-paved streets and 80-foot-high walls surrounding Old Town, this star of the Dalmatian Coast has long been able to rest on its aesthetic laurels — you might recognize it as King’s Landing on 'Game of Thrones.' "

Among other great places highlighted are: Madagascar, the Great Barrier Reef, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Thailand, Sedona, Athens, Madrid, the Lofoten Islands of Norway and Budapest. Some of these locations we have super enjoyed visiting, but there are lots more wonderful places meriting future attention. It's great doing this exploring and considering other interesting locations for the future. Love reading these various stories about nice options to consider!!

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 165,786 views for this posting.

Good Norning Coolers from a very warm Singapore,

An eventful journey here ....

Chris The Merc was on time and rather turned his nose up at out big cases, but everything fitted in. The motorway closed for an hour with us bstationary five minutes from the terminal but thankfully I always allow oodles of time. Flight was a couple of hours late leaving due to ice. The Concorde Room has a new menu, but not everything on it had been delivered but we made up for it with the LPGS. Sir Tim Rice was a couple of seats away clearly on a work trip of some sort. We arrived at the hotel to find they had cocked up our booking and we had the "wrong" suite for a night. They say that travel broadens the mind but travel just makes me grumpy.

All made up by our delightful staff in the lounge, who had quite against the rules reserved our favourite table and iced my favourite Sauvignon and left it in a bucket by my chair. They all knew we were late in and they gave us a lovely welcome.

Still dark here but shortly out for a long walk.

Jeff

Have you visited the music box museum in Telok Ayer St Jeff?

I had a chat downstairs with the two youngsters who manage the place, decided to do some other stuff first , then got back too late and ran out of time.

The Japanese owner has invested a lot of time and money in his "hobby" and has quite an eclectic collection of music machines.

Good Morning Jeff, and I hope your trip only gets better from here on out!

Not much going on here this weekend. All the snow has avoided us so far.

I'm working so we are sticking close to home with no major plans. It had been an easy week so far until yesterday. We wanted to attend an evening function last night put on by the teaching hospital that we're affiliated with. It's not open to all; the residents choose which attending staff are invited, so it's a bit of an honor to attend.

Of course, there was an emergency at 5PM that kept me late, so we got there an hour late. And to keep piling on the misery, the hospital harassed me the whole time I was there about ANOTHER emergency case...so eventually I got tired of getting text messages every few minutes. It was impossible to have a conversation with anyone while constantly getting messages! So we left the event, and I went back in until after midnight to deal with the messes. A little tired today.

We took down the Christmas trees, and we'll turn off the outdoor lights soon. Kind of sad. But, four weeks until the India trip! And, I'm not on call next week, so something to look forward to. :D

Edited by jpalbny

Hi All......

Great to see Jeffers has arrived safely albeit with some hiccups......

Terry....always good to read about travelling and various views on such places.....l always think researching a trip is as enjoyable as taking it!

JP.....shame about your emergency interruptions.....guess it's all part of the job that you're used to and you have India to look forward to.....

I'm just back from lunch out with an old friend at one of our favourite haunts....the most delicious charcuterie board to begin followed by a traditional Sunday roast and copious amounts of house vino......a very enjoyable afternoon.

A busy week ahead....Alicante weekend to look forward to in two weeks....

Happy Day

S [emoji4]