Silver Spirit Live ... getting ready to enjoy

taxman1

I too am enjoying your posts! You have a great way with words. I LOLed at the comment on "user error...directly correlated to the Brazilian cocktail montage." You're making me want to join the Cocktail Party. Sounds like you're having a great time. We are diehard Wind and Cloud fans but some day we may step up to the "big" ships. Hope the rest of your cruise is just as much fun.

YES!! Super agree with the above comments from J.P. about the nice, honest writing style and approach by taxman1. Wanting more and more posts and fun details. Was expecting a new and fresh post this morning. BUT, it looks like things are "busy" on the ship and taxman1 is busy enjoying things on this cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 207,205 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

thanks for posting during your trip. I find the internet on SS to be one of the best at sea, making this process a lot less time consuming.

We are joining Spirit for 3 weeks in March and are paying particular attention to your comments.

The Silver Suites are by far the most spacious. The color scheme is a bit drab but the new Muse will definitely have a chic factor. Hopefully when a dry dock is forthcoming, they can go that route with Spirit. The storage is abundant!

Can you tell me who the Maitre'd in the dining room is? Gilbert or Jorge and they will still be on board in March.

Thanks and enjoy your voyage :)

Good morning!

JP - it is a small world. My wife and I spent our entire lives in the Albany region before we just made the migration to Sarasota. For the last 20 years we owned a home in the town of Sand Lake.

Terry - my clock is all screwed up as we lost an hour on the clock last night. Breakfast today was just before the bell in La Terrazza this morning, so just making my way to the iPad.

For the SS fan club viewer discretion is advised for the remainder of this post as I am about to spread some napalm.

Dinner last evening ... we were all in a great mood, it was formal night, and the evening was just starting as we approached The Restarant approx. 8:10pm. Much to our surprise there was a line at the entrance wrapping around to he stairway for which you descend. I joked as we stepped off the stairway that the beeper would not be a great accessory for my Armani suit. I no longer own a Tux and have not owned one for many years as I only wore it on a cruise or couple fund raisers. A great suit I can wear every week meeting clients. Plus the neighbors thought I lost my mind when I donned the Tux one weekend riding the John Deere cutting the lawn. Apologies for the digression.

When we reached the podium after swapping disappointing barbs with our fellow passengers we arrived in front of Franz, The Restaurant Manager. Nice enough gentlemen, but certainly has an "edge" to his delivery; Was it the pressure or just his personality? In any event he seated a group of 4 ahead of us at a table of eight who were adamant they would not share a table. When I attempted the same scam I was met with heavy resistance and told a table should open in 15 minutes and if I wanted I could go to the Bar and come back. I politely inquired about my beeper; I believe the language barrier made that one flop. Recognizing I was about to go from a pissy mood to an absolute madman he suggested I go to La Terrazza. I said we had to eat so why not call on our behalf and get us a table. The meal at La Terrazza was great!

Towards the end of our meal my buddy Franz approaches us in La Terrazza.

Shoot ... need to run for a facial. Will finish this post shortly.

Thank you taxman1 for your excellent comments as a "Silverseas Newbie."

I like to hear all about the good as well as the not so good.

Ray and I will be in your shoes this coming May28th on the Muse for a B 2 B and are really looking forward to it on a new build ship after years on Crystal.

If I were an American I definitely would be a member of your "Cocktail Party". That name is a keeper.

Keep your great posts coming!

Cheers, Pat

Can you tell me who the Maitre'd in the dining room is? Gilbert or Jorge and they will still be on board in March.
It was Franz last week and pretty sure he's with the ship this week. Not sure about a couple of months from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you taxman1 for your excellent comments as a "Silverseas Newbie."

I like to hear all about the good as well as the not so good.

Ray and I will be in your shoes this coming May28th on the Muse for a B 2 B and are really looking forward to it on a new build ship after years on Crystal.

If I were an American I definitely would be a member of your "Cocktail Party". That name is a keeper.

Keep your great posts coming!

Cheers, Pat

Hi Pat, Haven't seen you and Ray since Siem Reap and your birthday cruise. You will love SS :)

Franz...does he click his heels after speaking with you? If so, yes, he has been around for a bit. I think he needs ruby slippers![emoji6]
Ha! I didn't notice that. He did provide a beautiful table (#7) for the three of us on the eve of New Year's Eve though, as well as letting us have dessert service at 9:30p one night after our dinner in Stars before heading to the theater for CD Moss's solo performance.

Back from a most delightful facial, a first for me. The service at the spa was top notch.

Now that my pores are cleaned and I am two deep on the caipirinhas let me continue the story.

Franz appears before us at La Terrazza with words coming from his mouth forming an apology, however, it never came from the heart. I explained how disappointing it was and he was completely wrong for seating the group of four at a table of 8 all by themselves. He should either accommodate all or none. Also told him I would wait until today before contacting his manager. He proceeded to go on telling me he has 538 guests onboard and The Restaurant can't accommodate everyone; it has been a problem for a while now. He made sure to inform me that the 11th would be the same.

I met with both Franz and Martin this am and explained to Martin I thought Franz was wrong, and if there was going to be special privileges assigned to some that a Silver Suite guest might just fall over that line. I also suggested they change their formal night process if in fact they know that this has become an issue for the past several voyages. He agreed and said he would not wait to be seated either. I then proceeded to say I was not looking for anything in return, but to provide my feedback. My frank feedback was they are lengths behind the Seabourn competition. He said he was sorry to hear but fully understood why I felt that way. I give him credit!

At this moment, if SS were to put together a campaign similar to the Mandarin Hotels, they would not want me as a spokesman as I could not claim "I am a Fan"!

Lunch at the pool grill was excellent and Denzil is taking good care of us here at the pool deck. Dinner tonight at La Terrazza with the reservations we booked weeks ago. The anticipation is gone, but we know the food and service should be excellent.

Seaver ... will come back to you on the Bourbon being poured as well if anything from the premium shelf should be offered.

Well the crowd at the pool is drying up and my ice turneth to water. Time to reload. Will catch you tomorrow after a day in PR!

Dinner last evening ... we were all in a great mood, it was formal night, and the evening was just starting as we approached The Restarant approx. 8:10pm. Much to our surprise there was a line at the entrance wrapping around to he stairway for which you descend.

When we reached the podium after swapping disappointing barbs with our fellow passengers we arrived in front of Franz, The Restaurant Manager. Nice enough gentlemen, but certainly has an "edge" to his delivery; Was it the pressure or just his personality? In any event he seated a group of 4 ahead of us at a table of eight who were adamant they would not share a table. When I attempted the same scam I was met with heavy resistance and told a table should open in 15 minutes and if I wanted I could go to the Bar and come back.

Towards the end of our meal my buddy Franz approaches us in La Terrazza with words coming from his mouth forming an apology, however, it never came from the heart. I explained how disappointing it was and he was completely wrong for seating the group of four at a table of 8 all by themselves. He should either accommodate all or none. Also told him I would wait until today before contacting his manager. He proceeded to go on telling me he has 538 guests onboard and The Restaurant can't accommodate everyone; it has been a problem for a while now. He made sure to inform me that the 11th would be the same.

I met with both Franz and Martin this am and explained to Martin I thought Franz was wrong, and if there was going to be special privileges assigned to some that a Silver Suite guest might just fall over that line. I also suggested they change their formal night process if in fact they know that this has become an issue for the past several voyages. He agreed and said he would not wait to be seated either. I then proceeded to say I was not looking for anything in return, but to provide my feedback. My frank feedback was they are lengths behind the Seabourn competition. He said he was sorry to hear but fully understood why I felt that way. I give him credit!

I'll be the first to admit, I can be quite slow on the uptake sometimes. But, I gotta say, I'm lost relative to your issue with the Restaurant Mgr.

This other party of four that Franz sat ahead of your party, when did they check-in? Could it have been a similar situation whereby they were merely returning after a 15-minute wait and therefore should have been seated first?

I explained how disappointing it was and he was completely wrong for seating the group of four at a table of 8 all by themselves. He should either accommodate all or none. Also told him I would wait until today before contacting his manager.

I met with both Franz and Martin this am and explained to Martin I thought Franz was wrong, and if there was going to be special privileges assigned to some that a Silver Suite guest might just fall over that line. I also suggested they change their formal night process if in fact they know that this has become an issue for the past several voyages.

Have they suggested you contact personnel department? Certainly they could find a position for you. And you're impressed with Martin?

if there was going to be special privileges assigned to some that a Silver Suite guest might just fall over that line.

Oh dear, the 'I've paid more money/got a bigger suite so I'm entitled to greater privilege' attitude that is usually completely absent on SS seems to be rearing it's ugly head here ... sigh ...

And IMO expecting to be seated with the previous group of four who had expressed a preference to dine without having total strangers thrust upon them is totally out of line.

taxman1 - you're on vacation - what would have been so difficult about relaxing in the bar for a few minutes to avoid the rush? No restaurant anywhere, land or sea, can cope if a lot of people happen to arrive at once.

However, MDR issues aside, I hope you continue to enjoy the Spirit, she's my favorite ship ... well, along with the Wind and the Cloud and the Whisper and the Shadow and (soon) the Muse ...

And Denzil is AWESOME!

Maybe it was the caipirinha's that presented a cloud of confusion over the point I was attempting to make.

To clarify ... the party of four seated before us were standing in line complaining to us that we had to wait. Now, i highly doubt they had already checked in and then rejoined the line only to complain to their fellow passengers. They were pissed and made it very clear to the dozen or so of us who were waiting for at least 15 minutes because they were already present in line when we joined behind them. FYI ... Prior SS passengers.

In light of the fact that the foursome ahead of us were so upset to wait in line, and demanded to be seated alone at a table of eight further heightened my anger when they were granted their request. We too wanted to sit alone and not join the rude foursome. My disbelief was around why they were granted their request while the rest of us were told to wait another 15 minutes even though a table of six was open. I agree that all parties should be treated equally and thus my point regarding why they were seated alone at a table of eight. If someone is afforded favors then how is that distributed? By cabin? I chose to purchase a cabin based on what pleases us for the journey and NOT what privileges it entitles me to ... I could care less. If that type of behavior is what excites me I would return to HAL or RCCL or any other big box boat.

Franz nor Martin impressed me, however, when a person admits that their actions were wrong I give them credit. It is very difficult admitting one is wrong vs. sweeping it under the rug.

And by the way, our dinner that evening at La Terrazza was fabulous and again last night. The food last night is some of the best we have experienced on the seas. We are fortunate we had made reservations at La Terrazzo weeks ago because they are fully booked.

PR awaits us ... speak later.

Taxman.....your reports from the Spirit are quite excellent...thank you for taking the time to post on here as a new SS guest.

The Spirit is my favourite ship and guess l am lucky to have not experienced the problems you have had and l do hope all these will be resolved for you during your voyage.

I have found Martin to be most professional and helpful and I'm sure you will find so also.

Please don't feel the need to respond to the negative comments that crop up on this board....we all have our own views and you are entitled to tell us all how it is for you.....

Hope you continue to enjoy and have fun....

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our dinner that evening at La Terrazza was fabulous and again last night. The food last night is some of the best we have experienced on the seas. We are fortunate we had made reservations at La Terrazzo weeks ago because they are fully booked.

specialcruisegirl: Please don't feel the need to respond to the negative comments that crop up on this board....we all have our own views and you are entitled to tell us all how it is for you.....

Appreciate these added details on the MDR situation. Plus' date=' the reports on the great food at La Terrazza. That was our experience on the Silver Cloud less than a year ago in South Africa. Agree, also, with Sophia's wise comments. All of us have our opinions and viewpoints.

[b']Keep up the great reporting and sharing!![/b] Look forward to reading it all, including the special tips and insights relating to the Silver Spirit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,956 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Taxman...

You picked a good time to be away from Florida. It's quite chilly here. You wouldn't need ice in your drinks. And the fins are losing badly to the Steelers.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned, but you used to be able to get the same dinner as in the MDR served to you in La Terraza. Perhaps that has changed. Worth a shot.

And you can pretty much get anything you like to eat, within reason of course, made for you with at least 24 hours notice.

And you can dine en suite served course by course, from the MDR menu.

Thank you both, it is much appreciated.

PR has had a positive change since our last visit some 21 years ago. Old San Juan is extremely clean and the shop owners very friendly. Being a Sunday we were surprised how many shops were opened today. As one shop owner said, it is hard to keep closed when a cruise ship is in town. There appears to be four ships docked today. The Carnival Fantasy was aside of us and there are two others aside of Carnival, so hard to make out what line(s). I have a funny suspicion the Carnival might be ending/starting a new cruise voyage as the streets were not overly crowded today. We walked past two churches with Mass in session and we're lucky enough to the choir voices ... beautiful.

Lunch again today at the Pool Gril was excellent. The tri-burger plate is delicious. Just the right size for sliders and grilled to perfection. The fish of the day was delicious. Our waiter today was Nestle; what a great personality and joy to meet.

The pool water heated up as the weather is fabulously warm. With tours going on today there was no issue finding a deck chair around 1pm. I had to switch up the batting order today and bench the Caipirinhas and instead go with the Mojitos. The excessive lime intake was interfering with evening wine. The red being poured last night at La Terrazza was gorgeous and I completely forgot what it was ... a Barolo, but can't recall the vineyard. And I still need to find out about the bourbon.

Let me not forget to mention breakfast in La Terrazza. The eggs are always hot and the fruit fresh. Coffee was excellent today!

Tonight we are trying Stars. It has been receiving rave reviews so we will have a stab at it.

St. Bart's tomorrow ... we rented a car and pick it up at the pier. I have heard from some the shopping is to die for at this port.

Until tomorrow.

Jorge has resigned to tend to his olive oil business. So I was told a few months ago. I could be wrong......again.

Denzil is killing me .... he now has me double fisting caipirinhas. Let me apologize in advance if this posting becomes incoherent.

Leaving port last night in PR we needed a tug to pull us into the harbor due to the strong winds. My wife and I watched us pull away from the harbor as we finished our walk (FYI ... there will be none of that tonight).

Ok ladies .... based on the reaction of my wife today I think St. Bart's is a decent port to shop. In all fairness, based on the strength of the USD and favorable VAT it was not too bad. Or maybe that is the cachaca talking for the moment. In any event an absolutely beautiful port. People were extremely friendly and lunch at a local restaurant was awesome!

Dinner last night was at STARS. For those not familiar with the concept ... 5 courses with 3 small plates for each course. Before I get into the courses, the table is set with fabulous breadsticks, pita chips, olives, various spreads and olive oils. To be honest ... I would go just for the breadsticks.

For the five courses ... cold appetizer, hot appetizer, fish, meat and then dessert. Inside tip ... should you not like one of the plates in the course you can double up on a plate. For example, the cold appetizer, is crab, Thai prawn and beef carpaccio. If you are not a fan of the carpaccio you can request a crab and two Thai prawns. If there is a course you do not like, you can substitute the entire course with three small plates of pasta. For those of you with hearty appetites, trust me, the 5'course are sufficient. I will admit my 19 year old son did order a pizza when we returned to the room after the show. The cruise director, Vicki, is a character. She had me LMAO.

This morning was the first time we had a full breakfast in our cabin; well done Neo!!!!

Hertz rent a car was a horrible experience. For those you wishing to rent a car Do Not Use Hertz. Budget is directly in town about a 10 minute walk. For Hertz, they pick you up in town and drive you out to the airport to pick up the car. Needless to say I cancelled that upon arriving at the port and being educated by one of the tour guides on the pier. He was extremely helpful and allowed me to use his mobile. And yes, I will most likely have a sunk cost on the Hertz car, so please learn from my mistake and use Budget.

Dinner tonight is Hot Rocks, or The Grill. We are looking forward to it as we will still be in port as we dine. We leave port at 11 tonight. Until tomorrow ...