Arcadia and Delhi Belly

chineplate

Would it be true to say that if a significant number of passengers fell ill almost simultaneously then the likelihood is that it's some type of food poisoning? If NV has been brought on board by passengers then I would think there would be a recognisable pattern of exponentially increasing numbers of victims from a given date until the outbreak is brought under control. If it seems likely it's food poisoning I guess this is the kind of information which any cruise line would prefer not to share with passengers but I'd be surprised if they haven't a pretty reliable measure of what the problem is based on the pattern of reported illness.

This was what I was thinking too.

Last report as follows:

Arrived back in Southampton this morning and the clean down started immediately.

With all the hygiene issues and health concerns on board I wouldn't have believed if i hadnt seen it; undercooked roast chicken being returned to the kitchen at last nights dinner. So much for their robust health practices

Cruise safe everyone and be vigilant.

We are on Arcadia, she is on 'red-alert', there were contract cleaners brought in before we boarded. The only noticeable differences seem to be more regular washing down of banisters, lift buttons etc. No nibbles, no shared brochures and regular changing of serving implements. I've not heard of any sickness onboard, as I understand all passengers had to disembark in Southampton, even if doing a back to back. Everything is as you would expect, no need to worry if you are joining next week for the worldie [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it was food poisoning, it would happen to a few people who had eaten the "bad" food and then it would be over. It would not be passed on. A virus can be passed from person to person.

Unless the people affected or those who come into contact with them, had poor hygiene and spread pathogenic bacteria through cross contamination. That is exactly how some food poisoning is caused in the first place, it's not always through undercooked or poorly observed temperature control - a food handler not washing hands after using the toilet, who then prepares food which is not going to be cooked (such as cold meats, salad etc) can spread bacteria which cause food poisoning. The problem with a large outbreak in a confined environment is that cross contamination is even more likely, we spread it about in every thing we and others have touched - linen, towels, lifts, utensils, rails, pens, chairs the list goes on and some people who are in a recovery period don't observe the lock down requirements. Also let's not forget that this includes everything going on behind the scenes in the kitchens, staff accommodation etc. it's not just passengers who perpetuate the problem.

It could be viral but it's not as cut and dry without a formal diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We got off of Arcadia this morning. To be honest, the procedures implemented to try and halt the spread of norovirus were very half hearted. We don't eat in the buffet, but will sometimes get a hot drink. You could not serve yourself with a hot drink, but you could serve yourself with food, the tongs and serving spoons being touched by everyone.

The pens passed to you to sign for purchases are touched by hundreds of people, (again we only use our own pen).

There was evidence of frequent cleaning of lift buttons and stair rails.

No menu covers in use, no salt and pepper pots on the tables, but when coffee was served at the end of the meal sugar pots were placed on the table.

The ship was sanitised before we boarded, and I believe it was repeated this morning.

Val

The pens passed to you to sign for purchases are touched by hundreds of people, (again we only use our own pen).

Val

Ive always thought that this must be the easiest way to catch anything