Ice wine

mainescout

Cruising on the Glory February 18 and wondering if they carry ice wine. It's a sweet dessert wine. I have not seen it listed anywhere so I'm asking all you experts to help me out. Thank you.

Hi Mainescout,

For sure, if this is something you enjoy bring your favorite, their selection is very limited.

have a great cruise

I never even heard of it!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Simply a dessert wine made from grapes that are 'allowed' to freeze while still on the vine. (German Eiswein) Results in a smaller, very concentrated amount of wine thus the expense.

What else are you going to do with grapes caught by frost! :p One of those brilliant discoveries that happenstance brings about.

OP, Hi Neighbor!!

never seen it on a ship.

I love Ice Wine. I have had it in Vermont and Ontario, but it will not be on the boat. Ice Wine is the last pressing after the grapes frost over I believe.

People who like a normal wine often consider ice wine closer to syrup than wine.

Edited by asalligo

We were on a Celebrity cruise in November and they carried ice wine. It was about $35 for a teeny tiny glass. You drink it like an after dinner sherry or port.

We live in ice wine country and we can purchase a very small bottle locally for $40 USD. It's pricey, but good.

Thank you everyone for the answers. I know that I could bring a bottle on board with me, but I was hoping it might be available and being on the Cheers package it would be included. Small bottles are not cheap by any means. You can find it at your better wine stores around here.

My wife loves Ice Wine, and we always bring half a dozen back with us whenever we visit Niagara Falls. You can also get them from multiple wineries in the Finger Lakes region, but my wife likes the Canadian wineries better.

Never seem them on any of the cruises I have been on (CCL, RCCL and NCL), so we bring a 375ml bottle with us.

Edited by PCHENG