Seattle ground transportation

Packman1000

We are taking an Alaskan cruise-tour from Vancouver to Anchorage in June. However, we plan to fly to Seattle for a couple of days (we have credits to use on Southwest) then take the Amtrak train to Vancouver for a couple more days, prior to sailing. I'm trying to figure out how to do this, so I have a few questions.

- Could I use the light rail from the airport to downtown and walk to a reasonably priced hotel? Could we also walk to the Amtrak station the day we go to Vancouver? If not, what are my best alternatives without renting a car?

- Downtown hotels are very pricey from what I've seen so far. Are there better alternatives, again, without having to rent a car? We don't want or need the high end hotel, but want a clean, quiet room in a safe area where we could do some downtown sightseeing. Would like to keep the nightly cost of the hotel under $125.

Help!

Unless you plan to stay in a hotel by the airport there are no free shuttles. There is the light rail system similar to a trolley/bus and you ride with a bunch of people and stop at many stops, similar to some of the SHUTTLES offered.

The Light Rail system is fairly easy to use and super cheap transportation. There is some walking involved from SEATAC to the Light Rail system thru the garage area of the airport and depending on where you need to get off and how much, if much at all, walking is involved after that. We have used the Light Rail System as well as AJ Towncar Services.

I highly recommend AJ Towncar Services while in Seattle. AJ is so nice, I know, because we have used him a few times for transportation needs while in Seattle. His number is (206) 697-5577. He is happy to give you a quote over the phone but I know he has a towncar that seats 4 comfortably that I think is $55 from the airport to Pier 91 or $45 to Pier 66 downtown...also hotels downtown. He has a SUV that is $65 from airport to Pier 91. I also think he has a 10 passenger van that is $12 per person (minimum 7 people). We have had him pick us up from Pioneer Square and also downtown Seattle and was ALWAYS on time, friendly, and great competitive prices. Here is his website that I just looked up. http://www.seatactowncar.com You will be happy you gave him your business Hope this helps you and others looking for transportation reviews. Tell him his friend from San Diego....Charlene....says helllooooo

Enjoy your cruise!!!! We stay usually at hotels at Pioneer Square area or Downtown to be able to walk to a lot of places like Pike Market etc...

There are no reasonably priced hotels in downtown Seattle during the cruise season. Your best bet is to find something near the airport and take the light rail into downtown for sightseeing. Might try La Quinta at the airport. It’s an easy walk from the light rail station to Amtrak when you depart for Vancouver.

- Could I use the light rail from the airport to downtown and walk to a reasonably priced hotel? Could we also walk to the Amtrak station the day we go to Vancouver? If not, what are my best alternatives without renting a car?

Help!

I'm not a local so don't know the stops, street names, but while travelling with a 4.5 year old & a decent amount of luggage, we flew to Seattle, took the light rail to a stop that was very close to the Amtrak station where we checked our bags, we took the train to Vancouver for our hotel. (On the first leg, we did not need a hotel or rental car in Seattle.)

Since the train leaves in the evening, we walked to a close restaurant for lunch...

Could I use the light rail from the airport to downtown and walk to a reasonably priced hotel?

Saw a funny thing the other day at Sea-Tac in baggage claim. A sign on a carousel promoting the difference in cost for Link light rail to Seattle ($3.25) versus cab. But the downside is the rail cars are set up very poorly for luggage. The one logical spot is the bike rack area but it is signed to say it is for bikes only. If they want airport traffic they should make that space available for bikes OR luggage. I've ridden with carry-on only sitting on a seat but regular luggage would be a hassle.

Saw a funny thing the other day at Sea-Tac in baggage claim. A sign on a carousel promoting the difference in cost for Link light rail to Seattle ($3.25) versus cab. But the downside is the rail cars are set up very poorly for luggage. The one logical spot is the bike rack area but it is signed to say it is for bikes only. If they want airport traffic they should make that space available for bikes OR luggage. I've ridden with carry-on only sitting on a seat but regular luggage would be a hassle.

Just a quick note to re-inforce the post by "Sequim88." Those light rail cars do not have luggage racks/storage areas comparable to some European trains. Before retiring my husband had meetings in Seattle on a fairly regular basis, and used the light rail from the airport only when he had a briefcase and one small carry-on. The trains seem to be designed for those commuting to and from work.

We also spent a few days in Seattle early November, and now that the light rail line has been extended/expanded there seemed to be more passengers.

The trains seem to be designed for those commuting to and from work.

We also spent a few days in Seattle early November, and now that the light rail line has been extended/expanded there seemed to be more passengers.

That's exactly what they were designed for. The extension south from the airport (away from downtown) also means that trains aren't sitting empty at the airport waiting to go to the city; they're arriving with people already on board.

Seriously, look into booking via AirBNb. I did this last year on my trip. My wife and I did the exact same thing in stay a few days in Seattle first and then grabbing Amtrak to get to Vancouver.

Here's where I stayed when in Seattle: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/938785 It was literally steps away from the Market and an very short walk to the aquarium and ferris wheel.

As for Amtrak, unless you're staying at a hotel "right there", you'll need to grab a cab to get there.