Viking Sea returning to Barcelona?

photopro2

I'm curious as to whether Viking offered any compensation to those folks who decided they did not want to stay on the ship? We are booked on the Sea next month and I'm a bit worried as I've read the Sea also broke down in August in Malta.

Yes, we have all been given the same compensation whether we stayed or chose to go home; it was announced by the Captain when we were told we were returning to Barcelona. For those who decided to return home early Viking took care of arranging new flights home. For those who have remained on board Viking has arranged for tours each day.

We did a day tour to Nuria Valley in the Pyrenees https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Pyrenees-Mountains-Small-Group-Day-Trip-from-Barcelona/d562-3142PYREN .... was absolutely magnificent.

Also visited Menorca .... not as many tourists as the other 2 islands.

Making day tours from Barcelona to other part of nearby Spain is a journey of beauty from viewing your link.

What did you do in Menorca?

I always wanted to visit the island. It has a rich history.

Making day tours from Barcelona to other part of nearby Spain is a journey of beauty from viewing your link.

What did you do in Menorca?

Flew both ways and rented car. Visited Mahon (near airport) then drove across the island to Ciutadella (47kms) ..... this was a nice village to visit, mostly locals. Then visited some of the magnificent hidden beaches along the southern coast.... the roads to the beaches can be very narrow in parts (maybe car & a half wide) and car parks (some paid) can fill up quickly, but worth the effort.

Much more relaxed than Ibiza & Mallorca.

That sounds very generous particularly as I am sure guests who elected to stay on board are being very well looked after

Yes, we are! We are guests of the company on a floating five star resort hotel. Starting with the day we arrived back in Barcelona there has been at least one included tour each day. Some days we have a choice of tours. Viking put it together in barely 24 hours. Tours have included a half day trip to Montserrat, day trips to Sitges, Tarragona or Girona. Plus a slew of half and full day tours in Barcelona--some themed and some to a single destination.

I asked a crew member who said that only 60 people have left. I know of a few more who are leaving before the 8th.

Refund + 50% off next Viking cruise (ocean or river).

I think we all wanted to hear 50% off our next cruise but the letter that we all received in our staterooms said that we will get a "50% cruise credit" towards our next booking. I interpret it to mean that we will get a credit towards our next booking equal in value to 50% of whatever our cruise fare was. Sorry, i don't think anybody is being offered 50% off a cabin on the World Cruise. Our compensation will be based on what we spent on this trip--100% back in cash and an additional 50% as a credit towards our next booking.

Yes, we are! We are guests of the company on a floating five star resort hotel. Starting with the day we arrived back in Barcelona there has been at least one included tour each day. Some days we have a choice of tours. Viking put it together in barely 24 hours. Tours have included a half day trip to Montserrat, day trips to Sitges, Tarragona or Girona. Plus a slew of half and full day tours in Barcelona--some themed and some to a single destination.

I asked a crew member who said that only 60 people have left. I know of a few more who are leaving before the 8th.

The mark of a good company is how they perform when things go wrong. I am so pleased that Viking are stepping up to the plate for you.

Enjoy the rest of your time in Barcelona. It's not a bad place to be marooned :D

P-651: We're 61 days out from our cruise on the Sea, so tomorrow we can make dinner reservations in the specialty restaurants. But we'd rather not miss out on whatever Viking has in the way of entertainment. Would appreciate hearing what time the show goes on. Thanks!

P-651: We're 61 days out from our cruise on the Sea, so tomorrow we can make dinner reservations in the specialty restaurants. But we'd rather not miss out on whatever Viking has in the way of entertainment. Would appreciate hearing what time the show goes on. Thanks!

This thread is about a cruise that was cut short. Not sure what "show" you are referring to.

This thread is about a cruise that was cut short. Not sure what "show" you are referring to.

garycarla, with your 18K+ posts here, I'm surprised you aren't sure "what show" they are referring to. I expect they are asking about the times of the evening entertainment on board.

Unfortunately, mort&fran, I don't know the times of the shows but, from what I have read, some of them may be repeated a few times during the cruise (depending on length of your trip) so if you miss one, you may be able to see it again later on the cruise. A safe bet would be to try to make your dinner reservations about 7:00 or so.

Enjoy your trip!

Touche'

But, Peregrina651 has been giving us soon-to-be-sailing-on-the-Viking-Sea folks a lot of useful info, so I thought I would use this thread to ask my question.

As to what show, I addressed that in the Title of my post, or at least I thought I had. Guess I should also have included it in the body... :o

Touche'

But, Peregrina651 has been giving us soon-to-be-sailing-on-the-Viking-Sea folks a lot of useful info, so I thought I would use this thread to ask my question.

As to what show, I addressed that in the Title of my post, or at least I thought I had. Guess I should also have included it in the body... :o

Yes, but it is still polite to stick to the topic of the thread and not introduce a new one.

Touche'

What many Cruise Critic posters don't know is that post titles [as opposed to thread titles] do not show up on some devices. It is better to put your entire message in the main body.

On December 28, after departing Barcelona, Viking Sea experienced a loss of power with one propulsion system and returned to Barcelona for repairs. Guests were offered the choice to remain onboard the ship in Barcelona, with shore excursions of the surrounding area, for the duration of their trip – or to return home early with Viking’s assistance for necessary flight arrangements. A vast majority of guests chose to remain onboard Viking Sea in Barcelona. Viking Customer Relations representatives will contact all guests on this sailing, or their agents, after they return home.

As of yesterday, January 3, repairs have been completed, and no impact is expected for the next sailing, which departs from Barcelona on January 8. Viking Sea will remain in Barcelona until then.

On December 28, after departing Barcelona, Viking Sea experienced a loss of power with one propulsion system and returned to Barcelona for repairs. Guests were offered the choice to remain onboard the ship in Barcelona, with shore excursions of the surrounding area, for the duration of their trip – or to return home early with Viking’s assistance for necessary flight arrangements. A vast majority of guests chose to remain onboard Viking Sea in Barcelona. Viking Customer Relations representatives will contact all guests on this sailing, or their agents, after they return home.

As of yesterday, January 3, repairs have been completed, and no impact is expected for the next sailing, which departs from Barcelona on January 8. Viking Sea will remain in Barcelona until then.

THANK YOU VIKING CRUISES. Many of us on the January 8th cruise have been anxiously awaiting this information from you!

We did a day tour to Nuria Valley in the Pyrenees https://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelona/Pyrenees-Mountains-Small-Group-Day-Trip-from-Barcelona/d562-3142PYREN .... was absolutely magnificent.

Was there a lot of strenuous hiking on this tour? I am okay with trekking but at high altitudes and steep terrain I get concerned. Any info would be appreciated since the tour looks great.

Was there a lot of strenuous hiking on this tour? I am okay with trekking but at high altitudes and steep terrain I get concerned. Any info would be appreciated since the tour looks great.

You have a better chance of getting an answer to this question if you ask it in the Ports of Call forum. First, this thread is about the Viking Sea having to return to port and except for the few who are affected, folks have probably stopped following it. Second, you are asking about a private tour company, so you dont have to limit your audience to Viking guests. You want as many people as possible to see your question so best to go where the people are.

Peregrina is correct, so a quick answer .... you can hike on your own however we wandered around the valley (flattish), caught the cable car up and walked down. All included in the price (we're in our 60s)

Peregrina is correct, so a quick answer .... you can hike on your own however we wandered around the valley (flattish), caught the cable car up and walked down. All included in the price (we're in our 60s)

Thanks so much. This is what I needed.