Boarding delays, Ovation of the Seas.

NSWP

Ovation of the Seas is at Overseas Terminal, Sydney, today. Word is boarding has been delayed until at least 1.30pm due to ship sanitizing - gastro outbreak on last cruise.

Hundreds of pax were at Terminal @ 10am or earlier, now it would be hectic. I can imagine the scene by say 2pm, the entire 500 pax could be there. Take it easy and bon voyage.

For information.

Edited by NSWP

I used to have an office near the OPT and we could gaze out the window and see a ship almost every day over the summer. One of my managers, who knew some of the Ports people, was fond of renaming the ships, replacing "...Of the Seas" with "...Of Disease" whenever she heard of an outbreak such as this.

As we prepare to board Ovation in 10 days on our first ever cruise, a gastro outbreak is one of our worst fears. We have discussed getting off in NZ and flying home if it occurs on our trip. I wonder what RCI's policy on this would be in terms of refunds?

I used to have an office near the OPT and we could gaze out the window and see a ship almost every day over the summer. One of my managers, who knew some of the Ports people, was fond of renaming the ships, replacing "...Of the Seas" with "...Of Disease" whenever she heard of an outbreak such as this.

As we prepare to board Ovation in 10 days on our first ever cruise, a gastro outbreak is one of our worst fears. We have discussed getting off in NZ and flying home if it occurs on our trip. I wonder what RCI's policy on this would be in terms of refunds?

Hope you have a good time for your first cruise....

We'll be on the same cruise now - however - gastro comes down to your own cleanliness - washing your hands (using the cleaning stations at the front of restaurants) - observant of what you touch - using your own bathroom etc. A recent RC cruise in Oct resulted in both of us not exactly getting gastro more just a mild stomach bug - it didn't prohibit us from enjoying the cruise. The food was a little poor - so be mindful of what you stick into you mouth and how you serve it :)

http://www.smh.com.au/national/how-to-avoid-getting-gastro-on-a-cruise-ship-holiday-20151228-glw2vw.html

as for a refund - and fly home - well that would be your 'decision' and not RCIs, given that there may be 3500+ passengers, its unlikely to impact all on board, but if you follow the above - you should be fine !!

Hope you have a good time for your first cruise....

We'll be on the same cruise now - however - gastro comes down to your own cleanliness....

Thanks! Though, as the article you linked to states, no matter how many times you wash your hands, etc, you're still at the mercy of the ship's cleaning processes and staff. But, for sure, these are good steps to take. I also intend to avoid the large buffet restaurant with the hand cleaning station - that station is there for a reason! - and only eat at the "specialty" restaurants. Fingers (after washing hands thoroughly) are going to be firmly crossed!

You would need to check with the cruise line of course , but there could be immigration and customs issues. There would be no refund from RCCL, and there could even be a charge to leave. It is also a tender port.:eek:

You would need to check with the cruise line of course , but there could be immigration and customs issues. There would be no refund from RCCL, and there could even be a charge to leave. It is also a tender port.:eek:

I won't check until the time arises and whether or not we are tendered or docked would depend on when that was in NZ as there are a mix of port arrangements. I did read somewhere that some cruise lines do offer credits or refunds for lost days due to gastro - not sure whether RCI is one of them - but in a bad enough outbreak I can imagine those with the means to leave would do so.

I won't check until the time arises and whether or not we are tendered or docked would depend on when that was in NZ as there are a mix of port arrangements. I did read somewhere that some cruise lines do offer credits or refunds for lost days due to gastro - not sure whether RCI is one of them - but in a bad enough outbreak I can imagine those with the means to leave would do so.

I was assuming Auckland as that would be the easiest for a flight connection back home.

I was assuming Auckland as that would be the easiest for a flight connection back home.

That's true but given our itinerary there's quite a few places to get off and just drive a couple of hours to an airport. But I wasn't really intending to go down this path with my question; it was really about whether anybody had a clear and specific understanding of RCI's policy on this. I think we're now in worst-case territory and speculating on something that, on the face of it, seems unlikely.

Ovation of the Seas is at Overseas Terminal, Sydney, today. Word is boarding has been delayed until at least 1.30pm due to ship sanitizing - gastro outbreak on last cruise.

Hundreds of pax were at Terminal @ 10am or earlier, now it would be hectic. I can imagine the scene by say 2pm, the entire 500 pax could be there. Take it easy and bon voyage.

For information.

Had a phone call from friends, now boarding, but cabins not ready until 3pm. Very busy down there. Is our Benjo working today, get ye olde red carpet out for the CC'ers !!

There was a noro outbreak on the first cruise we did, two Christmases ago on Sun Princess. The ship handled it very well, with the usual precautions and a deep cleanse during the port stop in Suva. We avoided the buffet, washed our hands thoroughly and regularly, used Hands Free hand sanitiser, and had a wonderful cruise.

Aah that explains it. Went down OPT around 11.30 and it was totally different to what appeared to be the very efficient operation on Ovations first turnaround on the 15th Dec.

Crowds were building in front of the glass entrance and by around 12.30 the glass entrance to OPT was just a sea of people trying to find a way in.

Regardless of the history of the ship. I always pack a can of Glen 20, a chux cloth and some rubber gloves. When we get to our stateroom I spray and wipe down every surface, door knob, drawer handle, TV remote control, lights/power switches, curtain rods (you know, things wot you open the curtains wif ??), chair arm rests (including balcony furniture) etc.

Then I leave the can in the bathroom for ..... you know ... *smells*

At the end of the cruise I leave what is left in the can next to the TV for the next pax to use. If the room steward finds it and chucks it out then so be it.

We also carry a small pack of Dettol hand sanitiser wipes to use on the door handle prior to entering the stateroom.

These also come in handy when going on shorex where sanitary measures may not quite be up to standards.

BTW - If our luggage (with the Glen 20) is not in the cabin when we get there, we clear off and re-check the stateroom until it is there.

Like I said we are not germaphobes but we have observed the sanitary practices (or lack thereof) of some of our fellow pax and we figure we best control our own environment to the best of our ability.

None the less - I hope all who sail gets on there soon and has a great disease free cruise.

Aah that explains it. Went down OPT around 11.30 and it was totally different to what appeared to be the very efficient operation on Ovations first turnaround on the 15th Dec.

Crowds were building in front of the glass entrance and by around 12.30 the glass entrance to OPT was just a sea of people trying to find a way in.

They should have enforced check in times, instead passengers turned up when they wanted, hence a few thousand down there with 3 hour waiting times. Passengers arrived @ 3.30pm for their notified check in and told to come back in 3 hours, god only knows what time they will sail. What time was she supposed to sail?

Will this farce occur every embarkation day? I hope the media get onto it.

(Mic and Rosie are on board already !!)

Edited by NSWP

That's true but given our itinerary there's quite a few places to get off and just drive a couple of hours to an airport. But I wasn't really intending to go down this path with my question; it was really about whether anybody had a clear and specific understanding of RCI's policy on this. I think we're now in worst-case territory and speculating on something that, on the face of it, seems unlikely.

if you follow the rules and wash your hands and if you need to go to the toilet use the one in your cabin, most experienced cruisers when there's noro onboard the ship never leave the cruise early but if you decide to go down that path you wont get any refunds from RCI and then you'd be fighting your insurance company for a refund

Not Ovation related but when we were waiting to board our flight from Avalon to Sydney last month for our P&O Jewel cruise to tassie, there was this lady in line who was going on the same cruise as us so we got talking about ships, how many we've done, what we've done etc, I made the comment that I was bummed because my fiancé and I had to cancel our cruise on Voyager in March due to me landing back on Dialysis in 2014, she turned around and said that she didn't really like Explorer OTS as they had confined/locked her to her cabin for gastro, she got annoyed because it was her "only chance" to see the ice show so she "broke out" of her cabin and went to the ice show, the crew were looking everywhere for her on the ship :eek: and when they finally found her she got into a lot of trouble. Her and her partner/travel party were laughing about it though as if it was funny.

I was gobsmacked, my brother said to her and this is why people get sick because of people like you and she went right off at him :roll eyes: I said to her no he's right, did you even THINK about the people with low immune systems/who get sick easily? Think about the staff? Think about all the poor tourists who might have spent their holidays confined to a cabin/hotel room because you were selfish and didn't stay in your cabin? She called us all a bunch of nasty names I won't repeat and then said she hopes we miss the ship. We ended up sitting right behind her at white bay while waiting to board, I really wanted to walk over to her and slap her across the face...as someone who has a low immune system it made my blood boil hearing her story! :mad: Thankfully I practice hand washing and sanitising like a crazy monster so I've never gotten sick on a ship before but man it's amazing how selfish people are.

Couldn't agree more, we are just off the Ovation cruise in question. We followed all the procedures you are all discussing - to the letter!! This is our 11th cruise and we are not kids and unfortunately the wife became a victim of Noro!! I don't think it matters how clean you are, how much you wash or how little you touch - it can happen to anyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also boarded today. Worst boarding experience to date and I consider myself a fairly seasoned cruiser. It wasn't bad because it was delayed but how it was managed when the mass of people came back at around 12.30-1. Won't let it affect my cruise but I heard so many people complaining and asking 'is it going to be like this the whole cruise?' Hope they also don't let it ruin their trips. Enjoy all those on board :)

They should have enforced check in times, instead passengers turned up when they wanted, hence a few thousand down there with 3 hour waiting times. Passengers arrived @ 3.30pm for their notified check in and told to come back in 3 hours, god only knows what time they will sail. What time was she supposed to sail?

Will this farce occur every embarkation day? I hope the media get onto it.

(Mic and Rosie are on board already !!)

The "farce" will continue if passengers ignore their check in appointment times and all arrive at 1:00pm and as long as guests ignore the hygiene rules and requests made to them. I left the terminal at 5:45pm and there were only four guests not on board and that was because they checked in earlier in the day and went off exploring Sydney and not returning to the ship early enough. She was due to sail at 6:30 and will sail pretty damn close to that in spite of the " farce". I think if the media reported on this it would be the 6000 passenger cruise ship Ovulation of the Seas and 4000 people had Niro and not one person was given compensation for having to wait an extra hour to board. GArbage media reporting helps no one except them to sell papers :mad:

Edited by gbenjo

The "farce" will continue if passengers ignore their check in appointment times and all arrive at 1:00pm and as long as guests ignore the hygiene rules and requests made to them. I left the terminal at 5:45pm and there were only four guests not on board and that was because they checked in earlier in the day and went off exploring Sydney and not returning to the ship early enough. She was due to sail at 6:30 and will sail pretty damn close to that in spite of the " farce". I think if the media reported on this it would be the 6000 passenger cruise ship Ovulation of the Seas and 4000 people had Niro and not one person was given compensation for having to wait an extra hour to board. GArbage media reporting helps no one except them to sell papers :mad:

Exactly mate, totally agree with you. Pax are the problem. Send em back in the line, get the cops and security down there. !! Well done to you any way.