Club class impact

doug52

I'd say there are more people wanting TD since it's usually waitlisted forcing people to AT.

That's true. People who don't request TD don't see the three choices of dining time available and don't see that there are nearly always waiting lists. I guess if you don't bother to check the facts, it's easy to make up any statistics you like to "prove" some point.

That's true. People who don't request TD don't see the three choices of dining time available and don't see that there are nearly always waiting lists. I guess if you don't bother to check the facts, it's easy to make up any statistics you like to "prove" some point.

Yep, 87.3% of statistics are made up.

I see that it says

"Full Suite guests will also enjoy all of the elevated benefits of Club Class."

Note the word "all"

We didn't get the wine.

Also, FTTF gets your cabin ready quicker.

No need for this on Princess as everybody's cabin is ready at the same time, usually by the time you board.

They don't open the cabins until 1:00 now, at least that was the case on Ruby out of San Pedro on our last 2 cruises.

In my opinion, that is the only choice on royal and regal.

How the CC will affect the Royal & Regal is yet to be seen but at least on those ships there's the fabulous buffet to siphon off people if it get overly crowded.

I wouldn't say the buffets on the other ships would be a good option.

I'd say there are more people wanting TD since it's usually waitlisted forcing people to AT.

On a ship with only one dining room and only Traditional, both the early and late seatings had waiting lists when we booked the cruise.

On a ship with only one dining room and only Traditional, both the early and late seatings had waiting lists when we booked the cruise.

I've always been curious about what happens to those on the waitlist in that situation. I was under the impression that that could occur on the Dawn and the Sun once they got modified for Australia.

How the CC will affect the Royal & Regal is yet to be seen but at least on those ships there's the fabulous buffet to siphon off people if it get overly crowded.

On regal and royal, I would sign up for traditional, and

then go to the lido on a particular night, if I wished.

Anytime on those 2 ships is just a complete failure.

Of course, I've read here that if you sign up for traditional,

you are required to attend to provide entertainment for

the others seated at your table, so the lido might be out.

I guess I'm going to be part of the entertainment if & when I do traditional dining but in the mean time, how bad was the AT dining?

We only went the AT 4 nights last Nov & didn't find it that bad. :confused: Were the lines that long when you arrived?

Of course we went very early so there were no lines, the wait staff was OK, the length of dining time wasn't anything to complain about and the food was so-so. Typical Princess food/quality, although my baked potato was only mildly warm one night.

We began to eat at the buffet & got hooked on it. The cook staff in the Horizon was so much better (also better supervision) so we decided to eat almost all our meals there except for a few of the formal nights when the DR had better choices.

DW and I will be experiencing the roll our of club class on the Star on April 11. We had originally booked an aft mini-suite (as full forward as one could get in that category), and when curiously checked how many mini-suites were still available on our cruise, I noticed a new category ... club class. It's been a couple of months since I had checked the status of booked cabins, so it may have been there for weeks, and it was listed at $600 more per person on our 10 day cruise. We talked about seeing if it was worth upgrading, as we are naive newbies (this well be our third cruise on Princess) who don't know what we are doing. We liked the priority embarkation and disembarkation, as well as the dining offer. Here's what was interesting. When we called our cost turned out to be only $200 more per person instead of $600 because they were running a promotion. So we made the change. I am interested to see how it all plays out. We were on the Star Princess last year in March for a South America cruise (no cats) and had four wonderful table mates. We had early traditional dining. So for $20 a day per person the upgrade in perks was worth it to us. And it's less than the cost of a specialty restaurant. We look forward to how this impacts our cruise experience. I'll come back at the end of April and let you know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Royal in the summer for two weeks with Anytime Dining and had no problems at all. The ship was supposedly full and there were always tables available either immediately or within a few minutes (when we reluctantly visited a nearby bar). We typically ate between 7.30 - 8.30.

I don't know how any dining option can be described as "just a complete failure".

We were on Royal in the summer for two weeks with Anytime Dining and had no problems at all. The ship was supposedly full and there were always tables available either immediately or within a few minutes (when we reluctantly visited a nearby bar). We typically ate between 7.30 - 8.30.

I don't know how any dining option can be described as "just a complete failure".

We were on the Royal in November...we also ate around 7:30 every night. We sometimes waited a few minutes because we had a specific waiter we really liked. We never waited more than 10 minutes.

We were on the Royal in November...we also ate around 7:30 every night. We sometimes waited a few minutes because we had a specific waiter we really liked. We never waited more than 10 minutes.

I see a pattern here. Everyone who says they have no problems with ATD also say they eat later than peak dining times. Maybe that's the answer? ;):p:)

Edited by shredie

Well yeah.

There are certainly ways to improve the current system but with any restaurant one of the best ways to avoid lines is either have a reservation OR eat when everyone else is not.

I see a pattern here. Everyone who says they have no problems with ATD also say they eat later than peak dining times. Maybe that's the answer? ;):p:)

Anytime dining works best when the passengers assigned to Anytime happen to spread themselves evenly throughout the evening.

But in cannot be predicted in advance what everyone's actual anytime time preference is.

If 1000 of your new best friends all decide they would like to eat at the same time you want to, then there will be wait for many of these people.

I think you need to do a few more cruises on regal and royal,

particularly in the caribbean.

My observation is that people like to dine earlier now than they

did 20 years ago.

When I first started cruising, it was elegant to select second

seating, and only total rubes (like me) asked for first seating.

Now, people seem to like to show up between 6 and 7 pm.

On several cruises I've been on in the carribbean there have been

large sections of the dining room that are not even set up for

second seating traditional.

On a ship with only traditional dining, those seats would have been

filled. On a ship with anytime dining, those people are adding to

the early lines.

did 20 years ago.

Just curious, why do you think this is the case. Why have U.S. cruisers tended to follow the trend toward preferring to dine earlier?

We always select ATD and never eat before 8:00 and as a result, rarely face long lines. When my parents cruised (60's through the 90's) they always selected the late seating and they certainly weren't late night party people (;)).

When we sail in Europe it seems evident to me that the European cruisers are more likely to dine later. I realize this in part is a cultural difference.

I know that two of the obvious reasons have to do with not wanting to eat later for health/digestive reasons and the desire to attend earlier entertainment option.

Just to be clear, I'm not being critical or judgmental and at home we generally have dinner around 6:30. However, for us on vacation, the entire "experience" includes not rushing to get ready and having a leisurely pre-dinner cocktail and meal.

Do you think it's simply a cultural shift and most folks today have different priorities or maybe something I'm missing?

Respectfully,

I think you need to do a few more cruises on regal and royal,

particularly in the caribbean.

did 20 years ago.

On several cruises I've been on in the carribbean there have been

large sections of the dining room that are not even set up for

second seating traditional.

On a ship with only traditional dining, those seats would have been

filled. On a ship with anytime dining, those people are adding to

the early lines.

I'm still not sure why this change in habits affects only Regal and Royal. Aren't all ships affected?

The answer to the question is yes at least as the Crown which I just got off of in December was a mess. The atrium had a hundred foot snaking line at 445. My conjecture is the new club class, the habit to eat early and most of all the timing of the shows...which were at 8 and 10. Everyone wanted the 800 show, no one wanted to go to 10pm. Thus the need to eat early. Princess has been fooling around with the timing of the shows for the past several years and this has the poor consequence of changing when most people eat.....first 7 and 9, then an ideal 3 shows at 7, 830, and 10. Then back to crowds at 7 and 9. I asked the cruise director and he said someone in the head office had them all do a count and when they found out that with 3 shows none was jammed to overflowing they decided people would think they were no good so all had to go back to two (person had probably never been on a ship.) probably. Then the next sailing they had returned to three and last sailing back to two too late...8 and 10. Where the wheel will stop no one knows. Mike

Edited by bobby3334

The answer to the question is yes at least as the Crown which I just got off of in December was a mess. The atrium had a hundred foot snaking line at 445. My conjecture is the new club class, the habit to eat early and most of all the timing of the shows...which were at 8 and 10. Everyone wanted the 800 show, no one wanted to go to 10pm. Thus the need to eat early. Princess has been fooling around with the timing of the shows for the past several years and this has the poor consequence of changing when most people eat.....first 7 and 9, then an ideal 3 shows at 7, 830, and 10. Then back to crows at 7 and 9. I asked the cruise director and he said someone in the head office had them all do a count and when they found out that with 3 shows none was jammed to overflowing they decided people would think they were no good so all had to go back to two (person had probably never been on a ship. Then the next sailing they had returned to three and last saying back to two too late...8 and 10. Where the wheel will stop no one knows. Mike

People on every cruise I go on start lining up early.

A few questions.

#1. Did they have Club class initiated?

#2. Were they giving out reservations in the AT DR and did people reserve the same seats each night?

#3. What was the typical passenger age?

Just curious, why do you think this is the case. Why have U.S. cruisers tended to follow the trend toward preferring to dine earlier?

I don't know, but lots of common things have changed.

A decline in the percentage of people with formal wear.

There used to be theme nights -- island night, country western night, etc

that people would dress for. Those seem to be gone.

When I first went on royal caribbean, we used to get a booklet at the

end of the cruise with a list of the passengers names, and their hometowns.

Long, long gone.

I think it's just the way it is in general.

When I was a kid, people would dress for church. Now, I see shorts when I drive by.

I don't know, but lots of common things have changed.

A decline in the percentage of people with formal wear.

There used to be theme nights -- island night, country western night, etc

that people would dress for. Those seem to be gone.

When I first went on royal caribbean, we used to get a booklet at the

end of the cruise with a list of the passengers names, and their hometowns.

Long, long gone.

I think it's just the way it is in general.

When I was a kid, people would dress for church. Now, I see shorts when I drive by.

At least half the people at out church wear shorts most times.

Several observations:

Princes forum members tend to not like change, be it new specialty choices, menu changes, updated livery, or added options. Not sure if it's the demographic, but you have to change your market to meet the next generation of cruisers or die. Talk of adding a waterslide my send some over a cliff.

As cruises have become more active at ports, be it scuba, hiking, snorkeling, off shore fishing, booze cruize, the excursions are starting earlier, which means to bed earlier, and dining earlier in preparation for the next day.

TD is dieing and gets smaller every year. People don't care for the same time eating every night. They like flexibility depending on the events of te day. In the past dinner was the 'event' of the day, not so much anymore. In addition they would like to be able to place a reservation at different times depending on days activity.

Compared to other lines Princess could improve/smooth out Anytime dining demand by:

*Allowing reservations on-line pre-cruise even, just like any other restaurant. This alone would greatly even out times

*Increase alternative dining whether paid or complimentary to funnel off more of the MD traffic. I was on the Norwegian Dawn six months ago, and in addition to MD, there were Suchi, Japaneses, Brazilian, Chinese, Irish pub, Steak House, and a French place to choose from some charging some complimentary, but they help to smooth out the MD demand. And the Dawn is not a mega ship

*Post wait times on monitors throughout the ship based upon reservations for each dining room, including specialty and time. Other lines do this successfully and this tends to even out the traffic

The complaints are that cruising is not what it used to be, well neither is the price. One has the option to dine like it used to be, whether its club class or speciality restaurants, one has to pay for it though. One can't expect 1980's service on the same 1980's fare or lower they were changing in the 1980's. Bring on club class, if it adds value to you, pay for it, if not no big deal. But now one has a choice. And the added choice is an add.

I myself won't be purchasing club class unless the meals are better than specialty restaurants, but it is fantastic to have options.

Edited by MrMan

At least half the people at out church wear shorts most times.

Do people still go to Church?

I wouldn't worry about what they wear when going, I would be thankful if they are still going! It's a generation thing. Our generation did it one way and the next generations will do it another way and we will most likely not like it 100%.

Things change and as the previous poster said, Club Class will be an added feature that some of us want that should be offered. I am looking forward to enjoying it when we sail Jan 2018.

Happy cruising.