Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

Thank you for informative post...it has been very interesting to read.

I see it was reported that a third tug is arriving as well as you suggested.

Quote from onboard the Star

2nd tug is still (loitering) off the stern, a 3rd tug will also be joining us later today.

We're expected to enter Port Phillip Bay around 3pm

Where is the 3rd tug?? I'm monitoring using a number of sources and cannot see another tug within 50 miles it would need to be underway now to meet the time schedule , my thoughts .. could be wrong are that the two tugs will shorten the tow and take her in as they have been towing her up to this point, they have to take her though the entrance channel and that have to take her round into the channel off Arthurs Seat

I can now see https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:696016/mmsi:503546100/imo:9540443/vessel:SVITZER_MARYSVILLE

Having left Geelong she is approx half the size of the other two tugs , I dont know if she is involved at this time

And just in time

Marine Wind Warning Summary for Victoria

Issued at 10:59 am EDT on Saturday 11 February 2017

for the period until midnight EDT Sunday 12 February 2017.

Wind Warnings for Sunday 12 February

Gale Warning for the following areas:

Central Coast, Central Gippsland Coast and East Gippsland Coast

Strong Wind Warning for the following areas:

Port Phillip, Western Port, Gippsland Lakes and West Coast

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Where is the 3rd tug?? I'm monitoring using a number of sources and cannot see another tug within 50 miles it would need to be underway now to meet the time schedule , my thoughts .. could be wrong are that the two tugs will shorten the tow and take her in as they have been towing her up to this point, they have to take her though the entrance channel and that have to take her round into the channel off Arthurs Seat

Regards

John

News reports on TV are they are going to Melbourne with the ship???? Is that correct

News reports on TV are they are going to Melbourne with the ship???? Is that correct

I dont trust anything I see on TV :D but yes with luck they will take her to station pier suggest Outer East as the other berths are required over the next few days

Regards

John

In a perfect world ... 36 hours ..assumes dry dock ready replacements ready and no issues ... in Melbourne .. at least a week :D

Does in need a dry dock to replace the Azipod's? Does Melbourne have a dry dock for this size ship? If not, I doubt it would fit in the one in Sydney. Would Singapore be the closest dry dock?

Does in need a dry dock to replace the Azipod's? Does Melbourne have a dry dock for this size ship? If not, I doubt it would fit in the one in Sydney. Would Singapore be the closest dry dock?

Good question ...most probably singapore

Pilot is alongside now

SP1 a rescue boat appears to be heading toward them.

Maybe the Captain of the Star has had a nervous breakdown. :D

He certainly must have suffered a great deal of stress since coming onboard Jan 5th, but I think it would be a requirement to have a navigator who knows these waters well on board going through the heads / the rip especially in these circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums