Making phone calls-Voom

rkkunk

My brain being what it is, I can't remember how you make phone calls when you have the complimentary Voom in a suite. My husband needs to use it to make a business call.

I know some of you have posted this information before. Could you explain the process again please? Thanks for the help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My brain being what it is, I can't remember how you make phone calls when you have the complimentary Voom in a suite. My husband needs to use it to make a business call.

I know some of you have posted this information before. Could you explain the process again please? Thanks for the help!!!

If the phone has WiFi calling enabled, you would just make calls like you normally do.

If the phone does not have WiFi calling, then you would need to use a voice calling app such as Skype.

The ship's WiFi will log you out after two hours with no activity so if you are expecting an in-coming call you might not be connected.

You can also get kicked out if sharing devices on the one device plan. If your second device attempts to log in and the first is already logged on, it will disconnect the first device and connect the second.

There is a warning to the second device before it does it. But if you are at two different locations and don't know the other person is kicking you off so they can connect you might again miss an incoming call if it's important.

Also, on several cruises we have found that voice messages left on you cel phone system won't get kicked over to your phone. So you either wait until you get back to your home carrier, when they just magically appear, or manually call in to your voicemail.

The ship's WiFi will log you out after two hours with no activity so if you are expecting an in-coming call you might not be connected.

You can also get kicked out if sharing devices on the one device plan. If your second device attempts to log in and the first is already logged on, it will disconnect the first device and connect the second.

There is a warning to the second device before it does it. But if you are at two different locations and don't know the other person is kicking you off so they can connect you might again miss an incoming call if it's important.

Also, on several cruises we have found that voice messages left on you cel phone system won't get kicked over to your phone. So you either wait until you get back to your home carrier, when they just magically appear, or manually call in to your voicemail.

We did not experience this on our recent Harmony cruise. The Voom did not disconnect -- it was still connected when we woke up in the morning after not using devices all night.

Also, it would not let the second device connect if the first was already connected. You had to actually log off the first device in order to connect a different one -- there was no "kicking off" of any devices.

Most devices do pretty much constant data connectivity. Things like getting email, and WiFi Calling have heartbeats which transmit data on a regular basis.

So I would not worry about the disconnecting issue.

To test WiFi calling, set your phone to airplane mode, and then re-enable WiFi when you are home. After you have connected to your local access point, you should be able to make and receive calls. If that works, then you can use voom to do the same.

Just tried that with my iPhone at home and it won't let me cal out on wifi when in Airplane mode even though I have wifi enabled calling. Ugh.:confused:

I'd contact the carrier, maybe something else has to be enabled.

This depends on whether your phone/carrier support WiFi calling. If so, you need to set that up now, before the cruise. If not, you'll have to get an app that can do that, like Hangouts.

ATT.... on iPhone 7 Plus... does it have WiFi Calling?

Yes, but you have to enable it.

Where... I looked in Settings and General and see nothing to enable WiFI

Nevermind, I found it.... under Settings, Phone, WiFi calling.... I think

Just ASK BOB

Edited by troykahack

We did not experience this on our recent Harmony cruise. The Voom did not disconnect -- it was still connected when we woke up in the morning after not using devices all night.

Also, it would not let the second device connect if the first was already connected. You had to actually log off the first device in order to connect a different one -- there was no "kicking off" of any devices.

Must be different on Allure as it did disconnect us after about two hours. When I tried to log on a second device a window would pop up saying another device was already logged on did I want to log it off and it gave me an option to log the first device off.