What hotel chain could HAL be compared with?

dcsam

Cruising is so far from a hotel that there is no comparison. However in terms of accommodations, I would equate HAL to Hyatt or Hilton. We don't stay at other hotel chains...to me, HIX or Days Inn sounds like tent camping. Not!

For those of you who have stayed at or heard of The Breakers (resort) in Palm Beach, FL, you will know this is not a hotel, it's a resort! Similar to cruising, you are on your own floating resort! Enjoy!

Fairmont or Hyatt

Wow. I haven't been to a Fairmont in about 5 years - have they degraded that much??? I guess I could see a little resemblance - the original Fairmonts in Canada - old and stodgy to me. But, the locations are amazing - kind of like the locations the HAL ships go to on the exotic cruises. The newer ones, like Newport Beach or the Hawaii resorts, could be like the K-dam - too "modern" for some who like the originals. Then, the Fairmont safari camps in the Masai Mara - I guess I could hang out in a Retreat Cabana and dream I was there ;)

For the one who did not think an all-inclusive resort was a hotel for comparison. The all-inclusive is probably the best example of something to compare. Usually one price, get room, different dining venues, musical entertainment, different bars and lounges, spas, fitness centers, water sports (like Sea Dream), etc. There are different types of all-inclusive, from the stereotypical singles spots to romantic getaways to family resorts. You only unpack once. You just don't move from port to port...

Edited by slidergirl

I think some think NCL=Days Inn/Sleep because they believe NCL is a lower class line for people who dress like The People of Walmart instead of dressing for dinner with the Queen ;)

There is a wide range between dressing like "The People of Walmart" and dressing for "dinner with the Queen". Most people on most lines manage to easily find something appropriate in the middle - interestingly, very many people on NCL do choose to dress like "The People of Walmart" -- perhaps because NCL emphasizes that no one cares what they wear.

Cleaning up, and wearing something just a touch more upscale than shorts and tee shirt, when sitting down for a served dinner - perhaps even going for a jacket - maybe even a tie - is hardly dressing for "dinner with the Queen".

I cannot disagree. Yes, it is a shame that some people wear shorts and tshirts on warm cruises. Perhaps they think they are on vacation.

We have done 2 Carnival and 2 NCL cruises in the past. I can remember what the cruises and the ships were like (both very nice) but for the life of me I cannot remember what people were wearing or were not wearing. Same with our Princess, Celebrity, and HAL cruises. It isn't why we cruise.

Edited by iancal

There is a wide range between dressing like "The People of Walmart" and dressing for "dinner with the Queen". Most people on most lines manage to easily find something appropriate in the middle - interestingly, very many people on NCL do choose to dress like "The People of Walmart" -- perhaps because NCL emphasizes that no one cares what they wear.

Cleaning up, and wearing something just a touch more upscale than shorts and tee shirt, when sitting down for a served dinner - perhaps even going for a jacket - maybe even a tie - is hardly dressing for "dinner with the Queen".

I agree with the wide range of the dressing, just like I agree with the wide range of hotels. Me - if I was hiking/mt. biking down in Southern Utah, we all stay at the local Super 8: rooms are cleaned everyday, breakfast buffet included, free wifi, no muss, no fuss, and everyone looks dirty from the day's activities and no one cares. We are there for fun - you'll see all manner of dress in the evenings in town, from those still in their bike clothes, to shorts & tanks to jeans and a shirt. If I'm on a different, less active vacation, it's the Westin, St. Regis, and small boutique inns for me right now. AND I do shower and clean up ;)

But, one thing I do see here - when you mention going for a jacket and maybe a tie - is that NCL doesn't require it, so passengers are "free" to dress as they want. Different ships for different tastes, just like hotels. If you go to a Days Inn, do not expect nor sniff at those in shorts and T-shirts instead of jacket and tie. Save that for the higher-end places. And, I thought men always had to wear jacket and tie ( at least) for dinner with the Queen ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Oh oh! Somehow this thread is turning into a dress code discussion. Please take it to the threads about dress code. The OP asked a legitimate question and many people have given interesting answers. Let's stick to the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh oh! Somehow this thread is turning into a dress code discussion. Please take it to the threads about dress code. The OP asked a legitimate question and many people have given interesting answers. Let's stick to the point.

Fair 'nuff. But, the atmosphere of a hotel contributes to the experience just as it does on a ship. I remember the RC in Kapalua requiring pants and collared shirt and no sandals for men after 5pm... As we brought no pants for my hubby (it was Hawaii, after all, and never needed them on any other Hawaii vacation), we used the stairs at the end of the hallways to exit/enter the hotel after 5 to avoid the public areas...different hotel types do conjure up certain types of people, just as different cruise lines conjure up certain types of people in our minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When using a metric such as comparable hotels to compare cruise lines, the whole concept of ambience/atmosphere is brought into the mix - and the way people dress is certainly a relevant factor in that regard-- or do you really think that there will be no such differentiation between, say, the Waldorf Astoria and a Motel 6?

I would suggest that the dress code we experienced at the Marriott Hilton Head a few years ago would be different that the one I experienced while on business in a Marriott Copely in Boston. Same for the Omni and Westin.

I think there is a difference between hotel locations, resort vs non resort, within chains.

Edited by iancal

And, I thought men always had to wear jacket and tie ( at least) for dinner with the Queen ;)

The metaphor "dinner with the Queen" implies a lot more than just jacket and tie - which is what is suggested for gala night on HAL. Of course, if you modify it with "at least", you could as well say that men had to wear boxers or briefs "at least" for "dinnner with the Queen", when you drop it to the absolute minimum.

The metaphor "dinner with the Queen" implies a lot more than just jacket and tie - which is what is suggested for gala night on HAL. Of course, if you modify it with "at least", you could as well say that men had to wear boxers or briefs "at least" for "dinnner with the Queen", when you drop it to the absolute minimum.

You are implying that I meant dinner with Queen Elizabeth II. There are many Queens around the world, and gala night wardrobe would not be a requirement. But, one would think a jacket and tie would be welcomed. And, I don't think any Queen would care if a man was "commando" under those trousers. What about a Scotsman in full formal kit???

I'll lower the royalty standard for a moment of name-dropping: I shared a KitKat bar with Prince Albert of Monaco - he was wearing a bobsled suit and warmups and I was wearing jeans with overprints and a fleece jacket. Not quite dinner, but...

;)

Edited by slidergirl

You are implying that I meant dinner with Queen Elizabeth II. There are many Queens around the world, and gala night wardrobe would not be a requirement. But, one would think a jacket and tie would be welcomed. And, I don't think any Queen would care if a man was "commando" under those trousers. What about a Scotsman in full formal kit???

I'll lower the royalty standard for a moment of name-dropping: I shared a KitKat bar with Prince Albert of Monaco - he was wearing a bobsled suit and warmups and I was wearing jeans with overprints and a fleece jacket. Not quite dinner, but...

;)

You seem to have misunderstood the common meaning of "at least" - it means "minimum" - and makes no reference to what might, or might not be, worn under something else.

Additionally, I made no reference to Queen Elizabeth - rather to the obvious, very tired, metaphor you used to suggest a very formal occasion.

Good attempt to weasel out, though.

My guess is that if I got stuck on any cruise ship with no cabin AC or plumbing a fully functioning room in Motel 6, Days Inn, or Sleep in would look very inviting. And if the food was sub par I would welcome a trip to Applebees!

Edited by iancal

How about:

"The famous Spitzenberg apple was discovered in the late 1700s by an early Dutch settler of that name. It was found at the settlement of Esopus, on the Hudson River, in Ulster County, New York."

An very old, antique, heirloom apple, with history to the Dutch... Sounds pretty close to me ;)