Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

From what I saw in their video was people boarding with only their Medallion but I still wouldn't leave home without it or a birth certificate. They someway have to scan you passport at one time or another.

Think about it - you show your docs in the terminal at check-in. When you board the ship you show only your cruise card and they scan it and take your picture. What you saw in the film was the boarding, not the check-in.

Think about it - you show your docs in the terminal at check-in. When you board the ship you show only your cruise card and they scan it and take your picture. What you saw in the film was the boarding, not the check-in.

No they stated that folks that uploaded their stuff online before leaving were ocean ready and once you arrive at the pier for embarkation you go through the security check point and then simply walk on the ship...no check in counter as the pic or passport pic will pop up on the handheld device the princess team member is holding as you approach with the medallion. only if you forget the medallion or it didn't ship in time or didn't fill out the stuff online would you need to go to a check in counter. This was addressed in the most recent video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M16...youtu.be&t=943

This may be true but myself and evidently at least a few others understood the statements made by Princess to be that you go through security and then onto the ship (oh yeah, and the health form police plus the somewhat optional embarkation photo stop). No more stops at the desk to have them search for your keycards, check your documents and give you the ship's pocket map.

Edited by beg3yrs

This may be true but myself and evidently at least a few others understood the statements made by Princess to be that you go through security and then onto the ship (oh yeah, and the health form police plus the somewhat optional embarkation photo stop). No more stops at the desk to have them search for your keycards, check your documents and give you the ship's pocket map.

Yes thank you...I am glad someone else saw it the same as I did!

Princess now clearly states the required Identification to bring with you on several documents, including your boarding pass. I presume this will continue with medallion class even though the "boarding pass" may be virtual. A line on those documents for medallion class cruises stating that physical documents are required in addition to the digital copy on the computer system would not hurt.

Edited by Musky Ike

It was a VERY quick mention. There was a scene in the video showing a waiter bringing drinks to a couple seated in the theater. The point was to illustrate ordering drinks via your own tablet and getting them delivered to your location. The audio specifically said to your "reserved seats". That was it.

Maybe the person actually being "in" the seat was how it was "reserved"? IDK.

Maybe the person actually being "in" the seat was how it was "reserved"? IDK.

I don't believe it actually said "reserved". It said you could have your drink delivered while you got guaranteed seating. I took it to mean that you could go snag a seat and then have a drink delivered rather than going to a bar, ordering a drink, and then taking it to the theater to find a seat. Reserved seating would be a huge headache and possibly a nightmare for Princess. No staff member is going to want to kick you out of "my" seat that you have arrived early to procure. They don't even enforce not reserving seats for the rest of your party as it is.

While on the Diamond Princess recently I was very surprised to see that every night in the theatre there were only two waiters. There is a revenue stream being missed and it doesn't need a medallion to fix.

Other cruise lines we've been on we have been continually hounded by drinks waiters in the theatre.

You're right. We'll still have to go through the check-in process.:(

Oh well. I wonder if it'll eliminate printing of boarding passes?

Seems like it should. :D

As a safety feature you can't disable the "find me" feature as far as crew finding you goes.

Unless the RFID chip is implanted, I presume I could

disable the 'find me' by leaving the medallion behind.

Perhaps in my mail box for easy access to the cabin

when I return.

(I know this sounds silly, but I have seen cruise cards in the mail

box. I never investigated whether they would open a nearby door)

Unless the RFID chip is implanted, I presume I could

disable the 'find me' by leaving the medallion behind.

Perhaps in my mail box for easy access to the cabin

when I return.

(I know this sounds silly, but I have seen cruise cards in the mail

box. I never investigated whether they would open a nearby door)

I would guess that, if you left your medallion in the mailbox, anybody could simply open your cabin door. Not a good idea.

Will a passenger on the first Medallion Class ship please perform an experiment for me? Wrap a medallion in aluminum foil to block RF signals and try to enter your room. This would establish whether the medallion can be defeated at will when you want your whereabouts private.

That video definitely does not say there will be a cruise card option. I've watched it twice. Nope, nope, nope. If there is to be such an option is isn't mentioned in that video. He skips around actually saying "no" but makes it pretty clear that, while you can limit your medallion to the "safety features" only, you will still have a medallion.

Right, and even in Princess' FAQ on their site it says "While you must carry a Medallion while onboard, it’s up to you how much or how little you want to take advantage of the full experience." The emphasis there is mine, but saying "must" seems pretty clear cut.

We're planning to book that first cruise on Regal to try it out. :)

That video definitely does not say there will be a cruise card option. I've watched it twice. Nope, nope, nope. If there is to be such an option is isn't mentioned in that video. He skips around actually saying "no" but makes it pretty clear that, while you can limit your medallion to the "safety features" only, you will still have a medallion.

Yes, I misspoke when I said that was where I saw it. I did finally find one place where it was in print, but there was another one besides this one, I'm pretty sure I saw it. This one is at this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7442

Look at the end of the posting, where the FAQs are and you'll find it as the 3rd question:

Are they mandatory for all passengers?

Anyone who wants to forego the medallion and concierge for a key card can absolutely do so.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, just took me awhile to find it.

Tom

If you use Uber,they have a record of your trips. If you use Amazon, e.g., they know what you bought and make suggestions. This is no more intrusive than what we already deal with. And why are afraid of Princess knowing where on the ship we are? Your phone, your car already tracks you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, I misspoke when I said that was where I saw it. I did finally find one place where it was in print, but there was another one besides this one, I'm pretty sure I saw it. This one is at this link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7442

Look at the end of the posting, where the FAQs are and you'll find it as the 3rd question:

Are they mandatory for all passengers?

Anyone who wants to forego the medallion and concierge for a key card can absolutely do so.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, just took me awhile to find it.

Tom

Thanks for finding it, I had also been trying to find it.

Lots of luck with that. They are installing all new door handles and locks. Listening to the info from Tony Roberts I highly doubt there will be an option for a cruise card on a medallion class ship. I'd give it about a negative bazillion chance.

I don't think the odds are quite that bad

Wonder when the ocean.com site will open so we can start seeing and entering stuff. November will be here faster than we think and people will be wanting to upload their stuff. ..i know me and my cruise buddies always like to fill out the personalizer early....it did say we would be able to do it through the personalizer or ocean.com. ..i have been checking the website to see if anything changed. ..nope.

Also curious if we will be able to see the free options and paid options for holding the medallion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruzrbachoua

This seems to me to be a silly change by Princess. They are spending more money on tech (when their own internet and app on board work so poorly already) probably to save on staffing at the port. I like the cruise card...confirms your dining choice /dining room/table. Where do we get that info then?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This seems to me to be a silly change by Princess. They are spending more money on tech (when their own internet and app on board work so poorly already) probably to save on staffing at the port. I like the cruise card...confirms your dining choice /dining room/table. Where do we get that info then?

App on board has always worked great for me.

Al from Minneapolis

I don't think they're spending millions to save thousands.:rolleyes: