Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

I am willing to bet that is just a transition and cruise cards will eventually go the way.

Oh, I agree. There will, no doubt, come a time when, just like whatever preceded the current cruise card, the cruise card will disappear. But right now, it's still a valid option it appears. I suspect all these gloom and doom discussions about the new medallions, were heard here with the term "cruise card" replacing the term "medallion." :rolleyes: And, someday in the future there will be a similar discussion when the term "X" will replace the term "medallion" and this whole discussion will start up again.

Tom

Oh, I agree. There will, no doubt, come a time when, just like whatever preceded the current cruise card, the cruise card will disappear. But right now, it's still a valid option it appears. I suspect all these gloom and doom discussions about the new medallions, were heard here with the term "cruise card" replacing the term "medallion." :rolleyes: And, someday in the future there will be a similar discussion when the term "X" will replace the term "medallion" and this whole discussion will start up again.

Tom

Subdural implants? :p

Subdural implants? :p

There's no telling what the next thing will be. Did any of us have any clue as to what we would be able to do with phones even 10 years ago? :confused: Much less 20? :eek: That's assuming that we don't blow ourselves and/or our planet to pieces in the meantime......

Tom

Sorry, I must have missed the part where Carnival or Princess (not CC) said passengers will still be able to use a cruise card. ?

Is CCL going to invest hundred of millions of dollars in a new system, then maintain the old (redundant) system just to allow passengers to opt out of the new one?

Let's turn to John Padgett, CCL chief experience and innovation officer, (as quoted in the link in post #10 ) "who earlier masterminded the phenomenally successful MagicBand for Disney:"

"The Medallion changes everything," Padgett said. "It puts an experiential aura around you. Everything you do becomes personalized."

So there you have it. Could it be any clearer? Who needs a cruise card when you have an experiential aura?

The cruise card is being replaced by something really terrific.

You'll have the option of using the medallion or a cruise card so you can collect either one!

Tom

Lots of luck with that. They are installing all new door handles and locks. Listening to the info from Tony Roberts I highly doubt there will be an option for a cruise card on a medallion class ship. I'd give it about a negative bazillion chance.

Sorry, I must have missed the part where Carnival or Princess (not CC) said passengers will still be able to use a cruise card. ?

Is CCL going to invest hundred of millions of dollars in a new system, then maintain the old (redundant) system just to allow passengers to opt out of the new one?

Let's turn to John Padgett, CCL chief experience and innovation officer, (as quoted in the link in post #10 ) "who earlier masterminded the phenomenally successful MagicBand for Disney:"

"The Medallion changes everything," Padgett said. "It puts an experiential aura around you. Everything you do becomes personalized."

So there you have it. Could it be any clearer? Who needs a cruise card when you have an experiential aura?

The cruise card is being replaced by something really terrific.

For those who do not want or do not trust this new technology, they are making both systems (cruise card & medallion) available to cruisers. Will that continue forever? Probably not, but it's being offered now at least.

I've seen statements, both in writing (on FAQs) and on the 35 minute long video that Thrak posted a link to either in this thread or another one where there was about a 16 minute Q&A period where that subject, among others, was posted. Here's the link to it.

Tom

Not only would, but have done that. My wife and I want to see how this new setup is going to work for a couple of reasons, curiosity being only 1 of them.

Tom

Same for us. We are booked on the Regal Feb 18th 2018. Can't wait!!!!

Al from Minneapolis

Tom

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Al from Minneapolis

Tom

Watched the videos and read the FAQ and find nothing to support a cruise card option on a medallion class cruise. Quite the contrary, they say you can limit the medallion but must carry it.

Edited by Musky Ike

For those who do not want or do not trust this new technology, they are making both systems (cruise card & medallion) available to cruisers. Will that continue forever? Probably not, but it's being offered now at least.

I've seen statements, both in writing (on FAQs) and on the 35 minute long video that Thrak posted a link to either in this thread or another one where there was about a 16 minute Q&A period where that subject, among others, was posted. Here's the link to it.

Tom

That video definitely does not say there will be a cruise card option. I've watched it twice. Nope, nope, nope. If there is to be such an option is isn't mentioned in that video. He skips around actually saying "no" but makes it pretty clear that, while you can limit your medallion to the "safety features" only, you will still have a medallion.

As a safety feature you can't disable the "find me" feature as far as crew finding you goes. It was a bit ambiguous from his answer if you can disable the "find me" feature for others in your party.

In order to track someone in your party, at some point you either have to specify who you are able to track. Someone speculated that this might be handled the same way the current messaging program works where you have to program in a code specific to that passenger.

If the other passenger does not let you know his/her code, then there is no way you could track that person.

So if this is the way it will work, just do not give anyone your "tracking code" and in effect you are disabling the "find me" feature for yourself to be located by others in your group.

What I did find interesting was a very quick mention of reserved seats at shows! Hmm ...

Was that for everyone or just for those with great status or in high-priced cabins?

On RCCL, they do have a reserved seating section (but not individual reserved seats) in the theater for high status cruisers at shows.

However (in my opinion) these are not located where I would like to sit.

A friend of mine just sent me a post someone did of their ship leaving without them cause they forgot to bring their documents. I said well that is one thing the medallion will solve...you would load all that stuff at home. To which she responded yeah but you still need it to go through customs when returning.......doh:eek:...I wonder how many folks will load this info into the OCEAN program and bring just the medallion when they sail forgetting about the return and needing it to go through customs......wonder what would happen to them at that point? All the things I have been watching have been saying ease of embarkation/debarkation no need to have to be checked in and documents reviewed....this could lead to some confusion for some people especially first time cruisers.

..I wonder how many folks will load this info into the OCEAN program and bring just the medallion when they sail forgetting about the return and needing it to go through customs......wonder what would happen to them at that point?

Good point. I believe most cruise lines currently make sure passengers have the appropriate entry/re-entry dox in their possession before allowing them to board, and I'd guess most will continue to do so.

Was that for everyone or just for those with great status or in high-priced cabins?

On RCCL, they do have a reserved seating section (but not individual reserved seats) in the theater for high status cruisers at shows.

However (in my opinion) these are not located where I would like to sit.

It was a VERY quick mention. There was a scene in the video showing a waiter bringing drinks to a couple seated in the theater. The point was to illustrate ordering drinks via your own tablet and getting them delivered to your location. The audio specifically said to your "reserved seats". That was it.

Good point. I believe most cruise lines currently make sure passengers have the appropriate entry/re-entry dox in their possession before allowing them to board, and I'd guess most will continue to do so.

But that is the one main point of this new medallion speedy boarding..so there will be no last minute check of those boarding a medallion class ship. IF they load all at home they simply walk past a princess person who supposedly says "hi welcome aboard mr and or mrs so and so" and on you go...no more stopping to show passport, credit card etc. So at least on the medallion class ships this double check wont be there...

But that is the one main point of this new medallion speedy boarding..so there will be no last minute check of those boarding a medallion class ship. IF they load all at home they simply walk past a princess person who supposedly says "hi welcome aboard mr and or mrs so and so" and on you go...no more stopping to show passport, credit card etc. So at least on the medallion class ships this double check wont be there...

I would imagine it will be like when people enter from a port now.

You hold up your cruise card (medallion) and they scan it and your picture (and whatever other information they need) will show.

Those who haven't entered their cruise docs at home will be sent back to the desk to enter it there.

If they haven't brought their passports, charge cards, etc. they'll be denied boarding.

By getting all of your info loaded onto the Medallion at home pre-cruise it could conceivably make boarding quicker.

(Still need to bring the passports for customs disembarking, though)

Edited by chamima

I've been wondering about that as well. There was a part of the video where people were at home, photographing their docs and providing them to Princess online. I suspect that's the doc verification. But that doesn't prevent people from forgetting to pack their docs.

Wonder if Princess will treat forgotten docs like "lost docs". It may be pushing responsibility on to the passenger for consequences of not bringing the correct docs and still boarding the ship.

Yes this was my point..how many will forget this since they already uploaded everything online to the medallion...

I already have to enter my passport information online when I book. If you physically go to a TA you already have to have the TA enter your passport info online when booking. This is no different.

If someone isn't bright enough to know they need to bring their passport then they aren't bright enough to cruise. It's always been that way...

I already have to enter my passport information online when I book. If you physically go to a TA you already have to have the TA enter your passport info online when booking. This is no different.

If someone isn't bright enough to know they need to bring their passport then they aren't bright enough to cruise. It's always been that way...

From what I saw in their video was people boarding with only their Medallion but I still wouldn't leave home without it or a birth certificate. They someway have to scan you passport at one time or another.

From what I saw in their video was people boarding with only their Medallion but I still wouldn't leave home without it or a birth certificate. They someway have to scan you passport at one time or another.

Yes I get it has always been that way..i brought it up only cause a friend of mine sent me a post of someone on another forum who posted a pic of the ship sailing with the comments...there goes our ship without us cause we forgot our docs.......so while it is the norm and common sense to bring your docs obviously people still forget. My thing was for new cruisers who might read or see this as hey I uploaded all my stuff don't need to take it with kind of mentality. Passport is the #1 item on my checklist of packing items #2 is ship and or airline boarding passes.....just saying I can see how it could be confusing to NEW cruisers.

"If someone isn't bright enough to know they need to bring their passport then they aren't bright enough to cruise. It's always been that way... "

Heck obviously "bright" people can have a moment...I don't judge others was simply making a statement based off something I saw. Plus most people think I am leaving and returning to USA why do I need my passport. I have seen this discussion on the CC threads many of times..

Edited by cruzrbachoua