Carnival's Medallion Technology at CES

cbr663

I think the objections are primarily due to the tracking of our physical whereabouts. I am curious how this can be done if your smart phone is not for location. Please explain.

Which is a flat-out hilarious complaint because guests on any cruise ship are already being followed and data-siphoned hourly.

There are more cameras on a ship than anyone really knows and any card swipe is immediately data-mined for analytical purposes.

But everyone can go on thinking a bracelet that isn't required is the end all of the world.

Which is a flat-out hilarious complaint because guests on any cruise ship are already being followed and data-siphoned hourly.

There are more cameras on a ship than anyone really knows and any card swipe is immediately data-mined for analytical purposes.

But everyone can go on thinking a bracelet that isn't required is the end all of the world.

Contrary to someone else's post... THIS is the best response in this thread!

I can already unlock my door and buy a drink with my key card and can not imagine a layer of friction that a medallion would eliminate. Must do an awful lot for Carnival Corp to have them lay out a ton of money to implement this technology, can't see the technology doing anything extra for me. I assume that Carnival plans on some labor savings, maybe they will eliminate bartenders or wine stewards as we get our drinks from vending machines.

Don't get me wrong. Bluetooth? I'm in!

Edited by whogo

Why get your knickers in a twist over something that has not been implemented yet?

And may not be for quite some time, if ever.

Besides, I could care less if HAL can track my whereabouts on a ship. As long as DW cannot do it all of the time I am a happy camper.

Edited by iancal

Just the announcement of this new gizmo at the Las Vegas CES and the CCL share price is up over 1.5% today. It was up yesterday, as well, when articles started hitting the paper. Gizmos are good for business! :D

I can already unlock my door and buy a drink with my key card and can not imagine a layer of friction that a medallion would eliminate. Must do an awful lot for Carnival Corp to have them lay out a ton of money to implement this technology, can't see the technology doing anything extra for me. I assume that Carnival plans on some labor savings, maybe they will eliminate bartenders or wine stewards as we get our drinks from vending machines.

Don't get me wrong. Bluetooth? I'm in!

Make no mistake, Carnival has revenue enhancements and cost efficiency in mind with this technology rollout. It will be interesting to hear the feedback about the initial installation over on Princess.

Make no mistake, Carnival has revenue enhancements and cost efficiency in mind with this technology rollout. It will be interesting to hear the feedback about the initial installation over on Princess.

Exactly. As I tried to say in my earlier posting, people are focusing on the wrong thing here. Does anyone really think that Carnival would spend this kind of money so you could get in your cabin more easily? This technology, as it did at Disney, facilitates revenue enhancement by supporting the monetizing of things that had been "free," and rationing things that are expensive to support. One example: getting a prime parade viewing spot at Disney used to mean getting to your preferred spot early. Now, one reserves a prime, limited-quantity viewing spot in a special area, reserving this ahead of time on your "magic band," and thereby using up one of the precious few reservations you're allowed per day. Technology is NEVER altruistic - it costs too much.

Actually I meant being followed on land via one's cell phone. I may have misread an earlier post, but I thought the poster had said that this was being done. If we have the phones on locations, I can understand how it can be done. But if they are not on location, the powers are simply following our spending habits. Further, no, I do not think that the cruise line or any other entity is actually following every physical move that we make. They are following our spending habits, so from that standpoint, I suppose it can be said that they are following us.

Besides, I could care less if HAL can track my whereabouts on a ship. As long as DW cannot do it all of the time I am a happy camper.

Don't know if this was meant as a joke or not, but she can. Quite easily.

"Benefits of Ocean Medallion include streamlined embarkation and debarkation, the ability to locate friends and family throughout the ship,"

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7442

Exactly. As I tried to say in my earlier posting, people are focusing on the wrong thing here. Does anyone really think that Carnival would spend this kind of money so you could get in your cabin more easily? This technology, as it did at Disney, facilitates revenue enhancement by supporting the monetizing of things that had been "free," and rationing things that are expensive to support. One example: getting a prime parade viewing spot at Disney used to mean getting to your preferred spot early. Now, one reserves a prime, limited-quantity viewing spot in a special area, reserving this ahead of time on your "magic band," and thereby using up one of the precious few reservations you're allowed per day. Technology is NEVER altruistic - it costs too much.

Ensuring I get the experience I want when I want is appealing even if that means paying a bit more.

I am pleased to see that Carnival is continuing to attempt to improve its technology. Recognizing that it doesn't always turn out the way the IT folks want, it still is a step in the right direction .. 21st century.

harry

HAL has a terrible reputation when it comes to IT systems. They can just barely run their web pages so I think implementing this will be a huge challenge. Their on board IT systems are about 10 years behind some of their competitors.

First thought... this is odd being they are in one of the (if not "the") tech capitals of the world. Then again the local tech giants tend to suck up all the best talent for big buck making it hard for regular outfits (like my employer) to hire and retain good people. We lose talent to MS regularly.

Also... I I posted a few weeks ago when the subject first came up:

Great - in addition to Noro virus for passengers all our "stuff" onboard can get infected with a Mirai DDoS attack of the IoTs. Just wait until your keycard/ID for the cruise is a smart device using NFC to talk to the door lock or vending kiosks and the network goes into DoS mode so you can't get in your cabin. Open the door HAL, HAL please open the door!