Live from Regatta--LA to LA January 7-17, 2017

RachelG

January 11, 2017--La Paz, Mexico

After our long and exhausting day, I slept like a baby, so soundly I don't even think I moved, much less noticed any movement of the sea or snoring from the big guy.

I awoke when George threw option the curtains to blinding sunshine at 7:45. Today is noticeably warmer, with temps in the 80s and a little breeze. Actually quite pleasant. We went to breakfast in terraces where I had my ideal breakfast anywhere-bacon and berries (strawberries, raspberries and blackberries). George calls it my B and B.

A lot of people were out walking on the top deck. I got work done with the office as I missed yesterday. George wanted to go to bingo, something I never do and at which I am terrible. But I went along to be supportive. We did not win.

We docked at La Paz a little before noon. For the afternoon, George went swimming with the whale sharks. By all reports, it was amazing.

La Paz is very arid, with not much vegetation other than cactus. It seems very low key and very safe. I would be fine walking around by myself.

I went to the serpentarium. It is a sanctuary for reptiles and other animals. Our guide was a very earnest young man who know all about snakes and reptiles. But the highlight was the bird house. There were lots of birds which would just come and roost on your head, arm, hat, whatever.

At the dock, there were lots of vendors set up selling local crafts, both high and low end. Once onboard, we had trivia. We did not win.

Dinner in MDR was really good, with the scallops being outstanding. George did not like his main, but he is picky. The show was a cabaret by the lead female singer and was excellent.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos (and the journey). Will remember your comment re: Copper Canyon perhaps not best experienced as a day excursion. We went on Sirena's Guatemala excursion to Panajachel last month, and I felt the same way about that one, having done it as a more leisurely road trip back in the olden days.

Can't wait to enjoy more of your writing and photos - thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

January 12, 2017--Mazatlan Mexico

After a good night's sleep, we awoke refreshed. A good sleep in this morning. We had an early lunch in preparation for our excursions in Mazatlan. The sail in is pretty impressive, with little islands on all sides. Bright sunshiny day. Temps in the low 80s. Perfect.

George and the guys went on a zip line tour which they loved. I went on a walking tour of the town. I am very impressed with Mazatlan. It is clean and safe. I really like it. We went to the church, to a couple of shops, to a theater. Then we ended with the cliff divers and some dancers. An enjoyable afternoon.

This evening we ate in the main dining room. The miso glazed sea bass was enjoyed by many. The male lead singer performed. What an outstanding voice!

This evening we ate in the main dining room. The miso glazed sea bass was enjoyed by many. The male lead singer performed. What an outstanding voice!

Reflectionns-in-the-Grand-dining-room.jpg

Did they use the stage at the back of the Grand Dining Room?

Edited by JimandStan

Hi, Rachel! I was on the Regatta for the Amazon cruise from November 29th through December 22nd. The cruise was fantastic and the crew was wonderful! I am sure that you have met several of the servers who were so wonderful to us. If you have met Grace, Aigul or Wowie in Terrace, or Daya in the GDR, or sommeliers Michelle, Rona or Yezani, please tell them that Nancy and Roy say hello and miss them very much! Oceania has wonderful people working for them in the restaurants and I can't say enough great things about them. I had to write very small and attach extra pages to complete my end of cruise questionnaire! I will be back on oceania in June and cannot wait to meet the servers onboard. They are the best!!!!

Hi Nancy, glad to see you on this thread. We were on the Regatta cruise with you and Roy to the Amazon last month (Joe and Lynn) and totally agree about the great crew onboard the ship. What a wonderful cruise we enjoyed!

Rachel, thanks so much for the information on Copper Canyon and great photos of your current trip. We have always enjoyed our Mexico excursions and look forward to a possible cruise there again next November. We will be in the La Paz area next month on a land trip for 10 days, and will definitely visit the serpentarium.

Lynn

January 13, 2017--Puerto Vallarta Mexico

After another smooth sailing night, we awoke pulling into Puerto Vallarta. A bright sunny day with temps in the low 80s.

The guys went on a zip lining trip. George did not like this one nearly as much. They would not allow taking pictures, and wanted $89 for a photo. Plus it was not in a tranquil setting, mostly over dune buggy trails and buildings. Yesterday was much better in his opinion.

I went on a jeep tour, 4 to a jeep with one being the designated driver. We drove through town then through some small towns where lots of little kids came out to wave to us, on through farmland with good crops of corn, beans and tomatoes. We reached a hacienda where they make tequila, but there were lots of handicrafts for sale. High quality, low pressure, and you could bargain for a good price.

The final stop was a beach where they also served lunch--Mexican or hamburger and hot dog. The Mexican part was good. The waves were big, and the water was cold. I just dipped my feet in.

Back on the ship, we came in 2nd at trivia. Trivia was interrupted a couple of times by the captain announcing whale sightings along the way.

Tonight was the repeaters cocktail party, but we skipped it to enjoy cocktail hour with friends followed by dinner in Polo. I had a steak, which I very rarely do outside of home, and it was perfectly prepared.

There was a new comedian onboard for after dinner entertainment, and he was actually funny. That was followed by a 70s dance party which featured 80s music. Still a good time had by all.

January 14, 2017--Los Cabos, Mexico

Another smooth night's sailing and bright sunny morning. Temps a little cooler today, in the high 70s and breezy. I was up for my tea in Horizons and saw a whale spouting.

Soon we were pulling into the bay at Cabo San Lucas. It is a tender port as the harbor is much to small and shallow for our ship. George has been here many times before fishing, and I have been here once.

We were signed up for the boat ride around to see the arch, then a land tour. A lot of people had reported seeing whales on the boat portion, but we were not so lucky today. We did get great views of the arch as well as several sea lions.

We then went to a very nice upscale hotel for drinks and pictures of all the great views. Onward to San Jose del Cabo which used to be a sleepy village but now is mostly artist shops. We were to have lunch on our own here, but I didn't realize that so didn't research it enough. We ended up at a place called Mollys which overly touristy. I should have known when the menu prices were in dollars. Anyway it was overpriced. My shrimp tacos were good, but George's enchiladas were inedible.

The last stop was a glass factory which was interesting. Some other friends did a salsa and salsa tour which I think would have been better.

After an hour walking around the deck back on ship, it was time for trivia. We did not win.

We decided to eat in the terrace for dinner as it was food from Red Ginger. The watermelon salad did not disappoint.

The show tonight was "Tuxedo" which was mainly Rat Pack and Frank Sinatra tunes. I liked it very much. Afterward was the crew salute which I always enjoy.

As I write, the seas are really rocking and rolling, first time this trip.

Lovely pics of Cabo. I built a home there years ago on the water in Cabo del Sol and my daughter was married at Esperanza. It brought back nice memories.

We were on Regatta to Alaska May 2015 and I really loved that R ship. Lovely decor, well managed, good food and a great way to see Hubbard Glacier up close and personal. O has done a wonderful job with the R ships and they are very special.

Enjoy your cruise and thank you for posting.

Hi,

We will be on the Regatta in a couple weeks. We are making our restaurant reservations and don't want to miss the shows. What times are they usually presented? I am really enjoying your travel notes. Thank you for taking the time to write and post.