A REALLY bad start

OnTheWater50

We are currently on the Viking Star, West Indies Explorer. We booked this trip months ago and Viking Air was included as part of the package. When our air was booked I was concerned because we were to arrive in San Juan at 5:50 AM after a red eye flight (San Francisco to Houston, Houston to San Juan). I called our travel agent and Viking Ocean and was repeatedly assured we would be picked up at the airport and allowed to embark UPON ARRIVAL. I was told we would not have access to our room until 2pm but would be able to relax in public areas.

Well, we arrived a bit early at 5:30AM with about 12 other Viking customers and were transported to the patio outside of the cruise terminal. Our luggage was offloaded and lined up along the sea wall. The transportation company called the ship, and after a few conversations where we were told someone from Viking would come talk to our group (no one ever did), we were finally informed around 7am that we would not be able to embark and we could go to a local hotel to purchase breakfast, find drinking water, use the toilet, and sit down. No one from Viking ever spoke to us or offered any sort of assistance. We were also told to leave our luggage where it was - along the unsecured sea wall. We thought that was a bad idea and moved the group's luggage closer to the gate to the cruise terminal. All the luggage was there - outside of the terminal and unsecured- for hours.

Very long story - after FIVE HOURS of waiting without any communication or assistance from Viking, we finally embarked. The ship is gorgeous and we are having a great time but this was a very sour start. We have complained but no news yet.

Really, all they had to do was:

1. Book on a later flight

OR

2. Be truthful! Tell us we would not be able to embark and make a simple plan for us to have a place to rest, eat a bit, get water, and use a bathroom

I'll return with the rest of the story.

I hope the rest of your trip makes up for the bad start. We received free air on our Cuba trip Nov. 2017, and this has pretty much convinced me to pay the 200.00 to be able to deviate and arrive the day before. I hate traveling the same day we are to sail!

I hope the rest of your trip makes up for the bad start. We received free air on our Cuba trip Nov. 2017, and this has pretty much convinced me to pay the 200.00 to be able to deviate and arrive the day before. I hate traveling the same day we are to sail!

TO OTHERS:

I would also suggest doing the deviation thing, or booking your own. And really, really think about flying in a day or more early. Why risk missing the boat when flights get screwed up? It happens. Especially this time of year with weather issues, etc.

We always fly in early for a number of reasons. I think it would make me a bit nervous to fly in 'the day of'. And we have always stayed over at the end at least a day but sometimes more if the ending port is different from the start point. It just provides me a measure of 'no worries'. I always also book our pre and post stay myself rather than extensions through the cruiselines. It is ALWAYS less expensive and we enjoy the independence of it.

If we were to use Viking Air, we would pay the $50 or $100 each to fly when we we wanted to and the routes we choose to travel.....because it's always a haul from the West Coast!

Sure hope you are totally enjoying your trip! Look forward to an update!

Dear OnTheWater50,

Welcome aboard Viking Star!

We sincerely regret to learn of the disappointment you encountered upon arriving in San Juan. Limited flight options do sometimes deliver guests to the port for an early embarkation, but the experience you’ve described certainly isn’t typical.

You were correct to voice your concerns onboard as the crew is empowered to assist in assuaging your disappointment. Should you require additional support, however, please do not hesitate to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

OnTheWater50, we are happy to hear that you have successfully embarked and wish you a wonderful stay aboard Viking Star.

Bon Voyage!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

We are currently on the Viking Star, West Indies Explorer. We booked this trip months ago and Viking Air was included as part of the package. When our air was booked I was concerned because we were to arrive in San Juan at 5:50 AM after a red eye flight (San Francisco to Houston, Houston to San Juan). I called our travel agent and Viking Ocean and was repeatedly assured we would be picked up at the airport and allowed to embark UPON ARRIVAL. I was told we would not have access to our room until 2pm but would be able to relax in public areas.

Well, we arrived a bit early at 5:30AM with about 12 other Viking customers and were transported to the patio outside of the cruise terminal. Our luggage was offloaded and lined up along the sea wall. The transportation company called the ship, and after a few conversations where we were told someone from Viking would come talk to our group (no one ever did), we were finally informed around 7am that we would not be able to embark and we could go to a local hotel to purchase breakfast, find drinking water, use the toilet, and sit down. No one from Viking ever spoke to us or offered any sort of assistance. We were also told to leave our luggage where it was - along the unsecured sea wall. We thought that was a bad idea and moved the group's luggage closer to the gate to the cruise terminal. All the luggage was there - outside of the terminal and unsecured- for hours.

Very long story - after FIVE HOURS of waiting without any communication or assistance from Viking, we finally embarked. The ship is gorgeous and we are having a great time but this was a very sour start. We have complained but no news yet.

Really, all they had to do was:

1. Book on a later flight

OR

2. Be truthful! Tell us we would not be able to embark and make a simple plan for us to have a place to rest, eat a bit, get water, and use a bathroom

I'll return with the rest of the story.

We are doing this itinerary in March of 2018. We paid the deviation fee to come in a day ahead. I asked our rep if Air Plus was available and she said it wasn't at the moment (we are getting $45pp air from EWR) but she would let us know. For us it's worth it to pay the extra.

As others have said, we like to fly in a day ahead. So many things can go wrong, and a little extra is worth it! We will be staying at El Convento, which is a lovely boutique type hotel in Old San Juan and have a relaxing day before the cruise. Check out is at noon, so we have plenty of time.

So sorry, the OP had a bad start to the cruise, but from past experience TellUs@vikingcruises.com is VERY responsive and they were able to help us with a small issue on our river cruise straight away.

Thanks for all of your replies.

We are awaiting some resolution with Viking pending offices opening in LA tomorrow, Monday.

I agree with the suggestions to arrive a day early, etc. Unfortunately, when we booked our air was included with our fare. NO credit was offered for booking your own air and NO deviations or Choice Air was allowed. Believe me, I asked!

I don't know if this has changed but, at the time, deviations and/or Choice Air were not allowed on any Caribbean itineraries.

My wife and I have just returned from the 'West Indies' cruise which departed San Juan on Dec 27 (although we did the pre-cruise extension arriving on Christmas day). I hope to complete a review of this trip soon (as it was our second cruise on this ship) but for now I am playing catch-up here at work.

But I wanted to respond to the air service provided by Viking.

This was the first time we have ever relied on someone else in booking our air travel. Usually this is something I like to do myself, to assure a schedule that will work best for us. I found it interesting that the OP flew from California to Houston before flying on to San Juan. My wife and I were booked (by Viking) to fly out of Houston to connect in Charlotte before flying into San Juan. This was after requesting at the time of booking for a non-stop flight if at all possible.

I'm not faulting Viking in anyway. I realize their are a multitude of factors that have to be considered when booking air flights. It simply reinforces my view of booking our air ourselves to guarantee what we want. Considering the money in total spent, IMO paying a bit of a premium for a quicker (aka less stressful) route is money well spent.

I just thought it was interesting that the OP connected through Houston from the west coast, where we originated in Houston and connected in Charlotte.

...I just thought it was interesting that the OP connected through Houston from the west coast, where we originated in Houston and connected in Charlotte.

And that is why you still look at flight options BEFORE calling Viking so you can request the best options possible.

Looks like United has Nonstops from Houston and I think someone else mentioned they tend to not work with United as much - no idea if that is accurate.

If someone connected through Charlotte, I would bet they were on American.

Flying from SanFran adds another data point to the whole thing. Sometimes a flight from SFO to San Juan is cheaper than a flight from Houston to San Juan. Do not use logic when pricing airlines. LOL!

Edited by garycarla

If you pay for a deviation, do you get to choose whatever you want, or does Viking give you a list of what they will allow?

The deviation fee is for flying in or out on a day other than the first or last day of the cruise or flying into or out of the the cruise city airport. Any deviation from their standard.

We flew into Amsterdam 2 days ahead of the start of the cruise. We will fly into San Juan the day before our West Indies cruise.

There is an additional fee for using Viking Air Plus. That's the fee for picking the flights and or airline.

If you fly into the cruise start city on the day of the cruise and out of the cruise finish city the day the cruise ends on flights chosen by Viking there is no fee beyond the quoted brochure price. Plus you get the included transfer from the airport to the ship and vice versa.

You have to do the research and see what works out best for your needs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Still no information or resolution from Viking, day 5 of our cruise....

I assume you are referring to the delayed boarding issue. Since they can not fix a problem that already occurred, what resolution are you asking for?

The deviation fee is for flying in or out on a day other than the first or last day of the cruise or flying into or out of the the cruise city airport...

Viking calls in and/or out on a different day (or time?) a "deviation"; using a different airport is an "extension". If I remember correctly, deviations were $100 and extensions were $200, and extensions are only available for a limited number of cities.

If it were me, at the very least, I would expect a) an abject apology, and b) some nice wine or whatever beverage On The Water prefers.

The guests arriving in the early hours of the morning to board this cruise were treated with total disinterest by Viking Customer Services. Not acceptable. J

Still no information or resolution from Viking, day 5 of our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Are you enjoying your cruise or just fuming over embarkation. It's a waste of your time and money if you are not enjoying your cruise over embarkation.

We have been given OBC, enough for an excursion, and an apology. We are satisfied with this response, although we wish Viking had responded in a more timely manner. I will review when we return!

We have been given OBC, enough for an excursion, and an apology. We are satisfied with this response, although we wish Viking had responded in a more timely manner. I will review when we return!

If they had responded sooner, maybe it would have been less money. Just sayin.

Very pleased to hear this. It is not the fact that things go wrong, it is how the company handle it that makes the difference. J