Epic is not for me

Ta8633

We were on the Epic (Dec 30-Jan 6) as well.

Our experience echoes that of the OP:

The bad

1. Completely unapologetic staff - they truly didn't care

2. Unfriendly staff

>> I couldn't stand the Filipinos speaking exclusively in Filipino amongst themselves as guests were right near them - I thought that was forbidden?

Even in US hospitals, a staff can not speak language other than English and Spanish if within hearing distance of patient and other staff.

We were on the Epic (Dec 30-Jan 6) as well.

Our experience echoes that of the OP:

7. $15/bottle cork fee (for bringing wine onboard) was unfair - this was a policy change in July (after we booked)

Wait - what policy changed here? I've had to pay the $15/per bottle corkage fee since I started cruising with NCL in 2013. Is there a new change? Lindros2 - thanks for your input on the cruise! Happy to hear the entertainment is good and the beds are comfy. Not thrilled about a lot of recent reports about the crew not being friendly, but hoping things will be turned around when I cruise in 11 days! Thanks again!

Interesting thread. When someone critiques a sailing, the responses are "you must be dreaming because ..." Or "I agree". I think you have to take the review as an honest interpretation of their experience.

We were on the Allure and I was blown away by the sheer magnitude. There was much much more to do than on a 1500 passenger ship. I thought the Allure was directed @ families. The gym was amazing. The food was standard. I liked it but I like smaller ships better. So why am I taking a cruise on the Epic?? Because we wanted to get away this week, didn't want to fly and as happenstance has it we wanted to try NCL.

My expectations are that I have to make a lot of reservations, be patient, and enjoy the hell out of the cruise.

Will report back once the cruise is over

I like your attitude. [emoji1] I also plan to enjoy the hell outta my upcoming Epic cruise!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Wait - what policy changed here? I've had to pay the $15/per bottle corkage fee since I started cruising with NCL in 2013. Is there a new change? Lindros2 - thanks for your input on the cruise! Happy to hear the entertainment is good and the beds are comfy. Not thrilled about a lot of recent reports about the crew not being friendly, but hoping things will be turned around when I cruise in 11 days! Thanks again!

I, too, have been paying this corkage fee for many years. I think what's new is that as of July 2016, you can no longer bring your own bottled water or soda on board. That really bummed me out as I like Coke but NCL serves Pepsi. [emoji53]

I am not mocking the OP but taking a cruise during New Years eve and then complaining about the crowds is sort of an oxymoron IMHO. Its like shopping Christmas eve and complaining about the crowds. If I cruise, I always cruise when school is in session and non-peak times. Every cruise ship at sea during New Years eve was packed and had the same issue. I would NEVER sail during New Years eve.

Edited by david_sobe

I am not mocking the OP but taking a cruise during New Years eve and then complaining about the crowds is sort of an oxymoron IMHO. Its like shopping Christmas eve and complaining about the crowds. If I cruise, I always cruise when school is in session and non-peak times. Every cruise ship at sea during New Years eve was packed and had the same issue. I would NEVER sail during New Years eve.

I totally agree with you on sailing at that time of year. We can only sail the two weeks over Christmas and New years due to me being a teacher....ships are always at capacity or more. I can only imagine what it might be like sailing at other times, non peak, when the ship are not full and lines are not always long.

However, the OP cons were nothing I have experineced or at least to the extent to which they did...but I have also not been on a ship as large as the Epic either. Largest ship we have been on is the Carnival Splendor and that was more than large enough for me!

I agree with you nissach I never go to my favorite Restaurant to ring in the New Year for the same reason. Ships crew is overworked on a non Holiday cruise but they are worked like rented mules during the Holiday seasons.

However, you expect you get what you pay for. I can't criticize the OP. These boards ( Not just the NCL board ) have a tendency to come down on posters giving their opinion.

We cruised on an Easter vacation and it was a zoo. But we were expecting the chaos.

And still my worst cruise was pretty good. I wouldn't have said that if I had been on the Concordia however :D

It's not the crowds.

It's the *management* of the crowds. That was abysmal.

Restaurant management = excellent (but might have been a late crowd and we ate early).

But at the pool, people can't leave towels on chairs for an hour - much less two or three - and keep the seats, especially when there are 20-30 people waiting.

I, too, have been paying this corkage fee for many years. I think what's new is that as of July 2016, you can no longer bring your own bottled water or soda on board. That really bummed me out as I like Coke but NCL serves Pepsi. [emoji53]

Our first NCL cruiss was in 2006, $15 per bottle, same as now.

I spent New Years on a cruise aboard the Epic. I had a very nice trip but don't think I will choose to sail this ship again. Here are my thoughts:

PROS

* Beautiful Ship

* Great ports (GSC, St. Martin, Tortolla)

* Good food

* Alcohol included

* Loved Dueling Pianos, Cirque and Burn

* Great watch selection (I always buy one)

CONS

* Too many people

* Too many people

* Waiting in lines

* Making reservations for everything

* Not friendly workers (there were a handful)

* Not friendly passengers as on other ships

* Not enough elevators

* Slow service

* Room stewards not very good or non-existence (I only got 4 towel animals)

* Felt like I was nickel and dimed for everything

* Nothing available on the TV (not that its used a lot but I do like to fall asleep to something interesting)

* Not enough chairs around pool

* Not enough servers walking around getting drinks

* Bathroom setup was not for me

* Balcony room seemed small

If this was Freestyle Cruising, I'd hate to see what isn't. We had to make reservations for comedy shows, dance shows, or wait in line 30 minutes before an activity to ensure you had a seat. It's not eat when you want, it's eat when it's available, if it is.

This was my first "mega ship" and it was too big for me, I believe. While there was a list of stuff to do, I could never find anything to do. It's weird sounding I know. Would not go back on this ship. I also didn't like the layout or that you could wait 20 minutes to get an elevator.

None of this would ever make me say I hated my trip...I was on a cruise and that's enough but it was different enough and there weren't those little details that have been on other ships.

Just my thoughts.

TODD

I have to wholeheartedly agree. I would add that even though the boat is big, it feels clausterphobic (especially with all the people) given that there are no 3 or more story open spaces - no grand atrium, etc. The most you get is two, and that's only a small portion of the ship. The food in the main dining room wasn't anything to write home about either, and you always get the feeling they're pushing you into one of the pay restaurants for the "good" food and service. We just booked the Dawn for next year, so I'm giving NCL another chance - hopefully the service and food improves.

I do have to say we loved Howl and the Moon and the Cirque show, and even though you have to pay for the latter, it was worth it.

It's not a fair comparison as the ship has a passenger capacity and the crew should be ready and well versed in handling that capacity. I've noticed the management on cruise lines lately is not very good, and they usually try to skimp on staff, which causes the existing staff to hate their jobs and most of the guest-relation problems.

It's not a fair comparison as the ship has a passenger capacity and the crew should be ready and well versed in handling that capacity. I've noticed the management on cruise lines lately is not very good, and they usually try to skimp on staff, which causes the existing staff to hate their jobs and most of the guest-relation problems.

That is true too.

But I don't go anywhere on New Years eve because of crowds. Cruises are crowded enough. I know many that have taken new years cruises and have regretted it or complained how crowded everything was.

That is true too.

But I don't go anywhere on New Years eve because of crowds. Cruises are crowded enough. I know many that have taken new years cruises and have regretted it or complained how crowded everything was.

Yes, that's true, especially of theme parks, but we've done about 3 or 4 NYE cruises now and found that they are very enjoyable and, if the boat is properly managed, not feeling any more crowded than normal. Perhaps, though, the bigger the boat, the bigger the potential problem.

I read all of the reviews and forum posts prior to our NYE cruise just so that I would know what to expect and be prepared to deal with it. I was thrilled that I never encountered any of the negatives that I had read. I booked all 3 entertainment options ahead of time and 2 of our evening meals. There were 5 of us. We only had one night where we had to wait to be seated for dinner and it was only a 5 minute wait. We had good seats for the duelling pianos and the comedy club and walked in 10 -15 minutes before the performance. The atrium was often crowded but Bliss was often near empty if you wanted a quieter venue. There was only one day that we were not able to get deck lounge chairs together. We walked right onto tender and it left for GSC with empty seats.

Staff responded to all requests, although we were not a needy group. We were able to chat with many to ask about their home country, family and life away from home. All were pleasant, eager to chat and very friendly. None ever spoke poorly of the ship or their job, in fact, several spoke highly of NCL as an employer. I did witness a family being unnecessarily rude to staff ( they had booked and cancelled reservations under different room numbers and were blaming the staff for not finding the correct reservation when they had provided the wrong rm number) and staff was graciously polite.

I continue to be surprised by negative comments but figure expectations and experiences are going to be as varied as the passengers. I have learned not to let the negative comments influence my decisions.

We also cruised on the Epic's New Year's Eve voyage as it coinsided with our 50th wedding anniversary. I doubt that we could be too disappointed at much as we were in such a celibratory spirit. If we could have changed anything it would have been the aggresiveness and discourtesy of our fellow passengers. Perhaps, at our age, we moved a bit too slow for some (especially in the buffet line) and it brought out the worst in them? After two attempts to "move with the flow" at the buffets, we delighted in the slower pace of the specialty restaurants and less crowded dining areas.

We found the crew all eager to please, our accommodations spotless and the ports very enjoyable. The elevators were, as expected, very busy and crowded but it is amazing, the variety of people you can meet in there!

We did have a plumbing problem. There was a rather long period of time that none of our toilets flushed. The crew was on it immediately and were as eager to solve the problem as we were! It was only a small, unexpected inconvenience. All in all, it was a wonderful time.

We may be too old for another cruise but if we weren't, we wouldn't hesitate romancing on the Epic again!

We also cruised on the Epic's New Year's Eve voyage as it coinsided with our 50th wedding anniversary. I doubt that we could be too disappointed at much as we were in such a celibratory spirit. If we could have changed anything it would have been the aggresiveness and discourtesy of our fellow passengers. Perhaps, at our age, we moved a bit too slow for some (especially in the buffet line) and it brought out the worst in them? After two attempts to "move with the flow" at the buffets, we delighted in the slower pace of the specialty restaurants and less crowded dining areas.

We found the crew all eager to please, our accommodations spotless and the ports very enjoyable. The elevators were, as expected, very busy and crowded but it is amazing, the variety of people you can meet in there!

We did have a plumbing problem. There was a rather long period of time that none of our toilets flushed. The crew was on it immediately and were as eager to solve the problem as we were! It was only a small, unexpected inconvenience. All in all, it was a wonderful time.

We may be too old for another cruise but if we weren't, we wouldn't hesitate romancing on the Epic again!

Congratulation on your 50th. anniversary. I remember when I was young I always made a real effort to treat slow moving seniors with respect. I would tell everyone I will be one some day. Guess what, some day is here for me now. It is amazing, we live it such a go, go, go stressed out world people can't even slow down on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. It is a shame. Congratulations again.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your thoughts. We sail on the Epic in Feb. I want to hear everyone's experiences, good and bad. I am a little nervous if there will be enough things to do for our family. (Me, DH, DS15, DD13) I booked thinking my kids would love the water slide and rock wall, just hoping they will be open. We cruised on the Allure for our 1st cruise and loved it(we still keep in touch with Hyde, our server in the dining room...she was awesome!). We booked NCL because my parents are coming with us and they LOVE NCL. They cruise the smaller ships frequently and the Epic was the only one sailing on the dates we were able to go. The bathrooms are odd to me but I'm not really worried about it. Staff attitude/service is VERY important to me. I had been in retail/service industry most of my life. My customers did not give a crap if I am super busy, tired, having a bad day, fight with DH..and it should not be their problem. I also feel that I am more understanding because I've "been there". Honestly though, I feel we are paying a lot for the cruise and want great customer service. That being said, I'm really excited for our trip!

Happy belated anniversary!! I also had a great time on the Epic when I cruised on her. I am so glad that you enjoyed it but sorry that you encountered rude fellow passengers. My parents have their 50th coming up and they are taking us (the "kids") and the grandkids on a cruise to Bermuda to celebrate. They cruise a few times per year still and will continue to do it even if they wind up in wheelchairs I believe. I hope you can make it on some future cruises but if not, I am so happy for you that you guys have such a great attitude and enjoyed this one :D

We sail Epic next week with 15 of our friends! We are a pretty easy going group and usually have fun no matter what. Hoping our ship is not full to capacity!.

I do have the shows booked along with La Cucina and Cagneys. We all have the UBP too!

I am bummed about the lack of outdoor deck space, but we will deal and hubby and I are early risers and will post likely stake out our spot aft at Spice H20 each morning...The others will just have to be up early if they want to hang with us.

I do love reading all the reviews including dislikes and likes.

We always take steps! I hate crowded elevators and waiting for them..So that is not a big deal! We will need the exercise!

I am just excited to go somewhere warm!! YAY!

Edited by BABYJOSIE98

We sail Epic next week with 15 of our friends! We are a pretty easy going group and usually have fun no matter what. Hoping our ship is not full to capacity!.

I do have the shows booked along with La Cucina and Cagneys. We all have the UBP too!

I am bummed about the lack of outdoor deck space, but we will deal and hubby and I are early risers and will post likely stake out our spot aft at Spice H20 each morning...The others will just have to be up early if they want to hang with us.

I do love reading all the reviews including dislikes and likes.

We always take steps! I hate crowded elevators and waiting for them..So that is not a big deal! We will need the exercise!

I am just excited to go somewhere warm!! YAY!

We will be sailing on the 28th as well. We have a group of 31 friends going. I'm sure we will see you at the pool. We sailed on the Epic two years ago and had a great time. The wife and I are easy going and feel fortunate to be able to cruise, so how can you not have a great time. :)