Equinox Jan 2-9, someone died?

Silver Anniv

I was on the sailing. My brother-in-law was told that a 40 year old crew member had a heart attack. I think he was a member of the waitstaff as an assistant waiter cleaning our table the morning he was airlifted said he was his friend. It was so sad.

Yes, its very sad, I hated to hear about it. My sister in law said she saw the helicopter take him away and my Mom said the captain made an announcement of honoring him, but I didn't hear it, it was very early in the morning.

Thanks for letting me know.

It is very sad, especially for someone so young.

I wonder why they didn't keep him onboard until the next major port? Seems strange to airlift him since he was already past the critical state. :confused:

Since most of the ships employees are from the Islands, perhaps he was from a "nearby" Island and it was easier to return his body this way. He could have been Haitian. Who knows. RIP

Since most of the ships employees are from the Islands, perhaps he was from a "nearby" Island and it was easier to return his body this way. He could have been Haitian. Who knows. RIP

Okay, I'll go with that. ;) I still think evacuation by helicopter was unusual. Is there someone out there that knows why they chose this process? Just curious, but not a big deal.

Okay, I'll go with that. ;) I still think evacuation by helicopter was unusual. Is there someone out there that knows why they chose this process? Just curious, but not a big deal.

Maybe it is not so easy to confine the body to their cabin which they may share with up to four (4) other individuals?

bon voyage

The ship has a morgue. So no need to leave a deceased person in the stateroom. ;)

Perhaps the crew member did not die on the ship, but was in critical shape. He was airlifted and then died shortly after. It really doesn't matter how or why. :(

We were on that cruise, but didn't hear all of the Captain's announcement. The helicopter was brought in shortly after they started allowing passengers to get off the ship. We were told that they were bringing in a helicopter and that no more passengers would be allowed off until after the helicopter departed. At the time we assumed that someone was sick and was being flown to a hospital. If in fact the helicopter was brought in to remove a body, the timing doesn't really make sense. It would make more sense that anyone with an early shore excursion would have been allowed off the ship before bringing in the helicopter.

Depending on the person's background, some religions have very strict rules about dealing with death and burial including the requirement the body be buried within 3 days of death so Celebrity could have been attempting to honor such a custom by getting him home quickly.

Depending on the person's background, some religions have very strict rules about dealing with death and burial including the requirement the body be buried within 3 days of death so Celebrity could have been attempting to honor such a custom by getting him home quickly.

The ship has a morgue, as I believe almost all cruise ships do.

Lisa's info. above sounds the most convincing and makes sense. Thanks.

We were on that cruise, but didn't hear all of the Captain's announcement. The helicopter was brought in shortly after they started allowing passengers to get off the ship. We were told that they were bringing in a helicopter and that no more passengers would be allowed off until after the helicopter departed. At the time we assumed that someone was sick and was being flown to a hospital. If in fact the helicopter was brought in to remove a body, the timing doesn't really make sense. It would make more sense that anyone with an early shore excursion would have been allowed off the ship before bringing in the helicopter.

Seems like you are saying that your early shore excursion is more important than respect for the deceased crew member. Do I have it right.

DON

No! I am saying it appeared that someone was being taken away as a medical emergency. Usually once the gangway is open, it is not closed again 20 minutes later. And we did NOT have an early excursion, it was just Labadee, who really cares. Perhaps someone with an early excursion has more information. I was trying to say that we thought it was a medical emergency. We did not hear the entire announcement, but I thought I heard that it was a medical evacuation and not the removal of a body.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the sailing. My brother-in-law was told that a 40 year old crew member had a heart attack. I think he was a member of the waitstaff as an assistant waiter cleaning our table the morning he was airlifted said he was his friend. It was so sad.

It is now known that the crew has passed. But was there a confirmation that the crew is already dead when the airlift was done?

It is now known that the crew has passed. But was there a confirmation that the crew is already dead when the airlift was done?

I'm thinking since laws vary among countries about official declaration of death (may even limit ship's doctor being 'official' for that jurisdiction), that may have been a factor in disembarkation process.

For your general knowledge. I used to work for a mortuary shipping company. If a loved one dies onboard a cruise ship do everything in your power to keep the remains onboard the ship until you reach a US port. There are large extra costs and delays in returning remains from other countries and islands where there may be only one funeral home. A few years ago arrangements to transport a body from Florida to a northern city would be under $1000 but Caribbean islands could cost $5-10,000 and take over a week to arrange. Cruise ships do have the capability to keep bodies on board in a safe manner.

The crew member was not deceased when he was airlifted out. We surmised that he was being airlifted to an island with more comprehensive medical facilities. It's possible he was then flown to Miami. The gangway was closed for a brief period of time while the helicopter landed and the evacuation took place. It was around 8:30 am. We were in the Oceanview Cafe at the time and heard all of the announcements and watched the helicopter take off.

Edited by Bettyscruiser

The crew member was not deceased when he was airlifted out. We surmised that he was being airlifted to an island with more comprehensive medical facilities. It's possible he was then flown to Miami. The gangway was closed for a brief period of time while the helicopter landed and the evacuation took place. It was around 8:30 am. We were in the Oceanview Cafe at the time and heard all of the announcements and watched the helicopter take off.

Thank you for the clarification.