Clam Shells

Tiggipaws

Hello

I have been looking at videos of Half Moon Cay and the clam shells seem to be on the busy part of the beach. If you hire one can you move it down to the quieter end? I would put it back where it was originally

No -- they can't be moved.

The pole that holds them up is anchored to a "hook" or something like that that is already in the ground and can't be loved.

If you do rent one, take a book with you so that you can prop up the back end to get air flow.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

They can't be moved but the further down the beach you go away from the tender dock, the quieter and less crowded it is. However I am speaking from experience with only one ship anchored off. I have never been there when there were two ships.

They can't be moved but the further down the beach you go away from the tender dock, the quieter and less crowded it is. However I am speaking from experience with only one ship anchored off. I have never been there when there were two ships.

When we were at Half Moon Cay on the Eurodam, we were the only ship there. However, we were sailing at max capacity. If you follow this link, you'll see a couple of photos that I snapped to show the crowd on the beach. (Y'know... Because who doesn't just take random photos to show empty chairs?)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51943921&postcount=556

As you can see, there are plenty of empty chairs. I took these photos a couple of hours after the ship arrived, so most people who were going ashore were ashore. The photos are from in front of the Lobster Shack/Wish I Could Stay Here Forever Bar, which is on a more crowded part of the beach. Once you get down past the pirate ship, the crowd thins out considerably.

Edited by POA1

The clam shells, in their natural state, are set-ups on the beach. They are spread out.

When you arrive, you claim the "hut" portion, and it is placed on the set-up of your choice; you can go further down the beach, if you are willing to walk a little further.

What you see in a picture is not necessarily all there is.

I was just on HMC on Thursday. The clamshells are anchored to treated lumber that is "installed" into the beach. They cannot be moved. They are locked closed to the two loungers that come with each rental. When you show your receipt to one of the women in yellow shirts they remove the lock, open the clamshell, and set up and wipe off the loungers. (When I paid to rent one I was told to look for the girls in yellow shirts which seemed a tad sexist but it was said by a woman and all the people setting them up were women. All of the regular loungers were being set out by men as we arrived.)

We were right by the lobster shack and the only annoyance was that the physical design seems to concentrate not only the wonderful sound of the surf but any conversations between you and the water.

We had a lounge chair that was behind our clamshell which I used to prop the back up so that there was indeed air flow.

Thank you for all the replies. RuthC do I understand you correctly. the blue clam shell cover is given to you and you can put it on any of the sunbeds?

If there will be two ships in at one time, I hustle off to stake a claim to a shell where I want to be. You just find one of the ladies, show your ticket and point to whichever clamshell you wish and they set it up. You don't need to touch it at all. It has two loungers inside. This time of year, it's rare for it to be hot inside, but you can lift the bottom back a bit to get airflow if needed. It is possible to go pretty far down the beach and still have one. Personally, I choose one near bathroom walkways.:D

If there's only one ship, there probably isn't a need to hustle, there should be plenty.

RuthC do I understand you correctly. the blue clam shell cover is given to you and you can put it on any of the sunbeds?

:o Sorry. The little pictures in my head were faulty---the others have given you the correct description of the set-up.

We rented a clamshell the last time we were in HMC....thought to save a few bucks from the cabana rental which I deemed a waste of a lot of money. This did not waste a lot of money. However, ours was behind all the free beach loungers, not a view one would want to actually pay for. We spend almost all of our time in the water anyway, except to go eat lunch. This time we'll just drop our stuff on a free lounger and head to the snorkel area.

(We bring our own snorkel gear and enjoy the little area that is set up. Very pretty.)

We rent the clamshells for shade, never for the view.

The last time we were on HMC the couple next to us left their clamshell and returned to the ship. As soon as they left, another couple moved in and took over the clamshell. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal but the clamshells are close together and this couple were smokers. Just something to be aware of if you are planning to rent a clamshell.