Question about using birth certificates for children

Carleeb12

From Carnivals FAQ:

Birth Certification Information

The following are acceptable:

An original birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics*

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A clear, legible copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a government agency (state/county/city) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The*copy does not need to be notarized or certified.*

Birth Certificate Card

You are going to get a variety of answers including suggestions to get a passport.

Other are going to bring up that it must have a "raised seal" to be valid. This is a reference to the notary stamp or the certification of authenticity. Many states no longer even use a raised certificate and notaries usually now just use a stamp.

At one Carnivals own verbiage used the word Xerox rather than copy. I think perhaps copyright laws may have caused the change.

Also remember that kids 16 years or older also need a photo ID

You were lucky....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, I presented a document that is required by the DHS regulations, which specify that an original or copy of a birth certificate can be used. Luck had nothing to do with it. If the DHS regulations didn't allow it than CCL wouldn't be able to accept it.

No, I presented a document that is required by the DHS regulations, which specify that an original or copy of a birth certificate can be used. Luck had nothing to do with it. If the DHS regulations didn't allow it than CCL wouldn't be able to accept it.

U are correct, I was wrong, for some reason I thought it had to be raised seal

Sent from my iPhone

Not all states use "raised seals" anymore. I would bring the original...copies are usually NOT accepted.

There is absolutely no reason for a copy NOT TO BE accepted since the regulations allow it. It is best to bring the original if you can, but faxed birth certificates have saved many cruises.

Make sure the birth certificate is the "long" form that shows the parents' names, not the shorten form sometimes issued without all the information.

No, this requirement is for applying for a passport. The DHS regulations do not specify the form and any form of a government issued birth certificate will work.

No, this requirement is for applying for a passport. The DHS regulations do not specify the form and any form of a government issued birth certificate will work.

There was some discussion in the past that certain ports were not accepting the short form on embarkation. I believe it was in New Orleans. Since the government specifies a long form as evidence of citizenship when applying for a passport, and requires either an original or certified copy issued by a governmental body, I would err on the side of caution and take that type of birth certificate on a cruise. Besides, if there was an emergency and you had to get a passport issued to fly home you would need the right kind of birth certificate so the embassy or consulate would issue a passpsort.

Edited by DebJ14

There was some discussion in the past that certain ports were not accepting the short form on embarkation. I believe it was in New Orleans. Since the government specifies a long form as evidence of citizenship when applying for a passport, and requires either an original or certified copy issued by a governmental body, I would err on the side of caution and take that type of birth certificate on a cruise. Besides, if there was an emergency and you had to get a passport issued to fly home you would need the right kind of birth certificate so the embassy or consulate would issue a passpsort.

This is the first I've heard of a port with that requirement, I'm surprised that I missed it. The government doesn't say anything about a "certified copy" though, the regulations only say "original or copy" (although bringing the original is the best option it is good to keep in mind that a regular old photocopy will do in a pinch). Yes, there is something to erring on the side of caution and taking a BC that meets State's requirements but if all one has is the short form it is acceptable for DHS (in all of the other ports).

Not all states use "raised seals" anymore. I would bring the original...copies are usually NOT accepted.

What! We now have passports, but for years we used copies of our BC (certified). Some people (my DH) do not even have their original BC. Where do you come up with your information which is erroneous many times? :rolleyes::eek: