Navigator

woogie

It isn't that I expect an unbiased, unprejudiced response but I sent my Regent rep an email yesterday asking him what his customers' experiences with the Navigator have been given all of the negative comments in various threads. It will be interesting to read his reply. I will say that he has always been candid without breaching his responsibility to his employer. We shall see.

As for us, I think we will chance the cruise simply because the itinerary is the Caribbean and South American shoreline to the Amazon and back. No grand multi-day crossings.

Part of the Navigator Fan Club!!! I'm in the "what aft vibration" club too. No hesitations about recommending the Navigator to someone.

Just keep in mind some people don't like chocolate either.

Who doesn't like chocolate :). Chocolate with a Grand Cru Banyuls is amazing.

In all seriousness, we will be probably be forward and putting up with the anchor noise, no veranda, and the crew catwalk. Cabin 600 is available and I will take the extra space with the problems that come with it for the Category G price and hope for the best.

We all have our preferred ships, but if you look at CC Reviews for Regent, the average "likability" (is that a word?) for each ship is recorded as follows:

Explorer: 66% loved it

Mariner: 72% loved it

Navigator: 69% loved it

Voyager: 63% loved it

Everyone can, and I am sure will, draw their own conclusions

We are in the Navigator favorite ship group For 3 years running we did the N.Y. to Bermuda run right through the bumpy Atlantic. What I will say is that the first thing we do when we board any ship is to go straight to the reception desk and request their seasick prevention tablets that they have all set in little envelopes. I have never been seasick and am told it is something I never would want to experience. We take them as directed for the whole cruise and have never had a problem. I was sleepy the first night but I believe it was more due to the excitement and the business of travel prep.

We are in the Navigator favorite ship group For 3 years running we did the N.Y. to Bermuda run right through the bumpy Atlantic. What I will say is that the first thing we do when we board any ship is to go straight to the reception desk and request their seasick prevention tablets that they have all set in little envelopes. I have never been seasick and am told it is something I never would want to experience. We take them as directed for the whole cruise and have never had a problem. I was sleepy the first night but I believe it was more due to the excitement and the business of travel prep.

Well fizzy, you have told me something no one else has mentioned and it is valuable information. So reception has seasick pills do they? That is great to know. We usually carry some but we have never been seasick (knock on wood) even in choppy waters crossing the Atlantic. Don't want to be either. Thanks. We are going for it. Cost is right. Itinerary is right. Cabin, who knows but it is larger than normal.

We've sailed Navigator twice. We didn't notice the notorious aft vibration nor the anchor noise, neither of which are deal breakers anyway. A ship, even a luxury one, makes various "shippy" noises and movements from time to time. If you really can't tolerate either then maybe cruising isn't for you? We are lucky to be good sailors so aren't troubled by seasickness either (touch wood) but pack some meds anyway. Cheap and widely available in any pharmacy.

What we didn't like is Navigator's general layout with no forward facing public areas and cramped/overcrowded lounges, especially in bad weather. We did spend a lot more time in our suite "far from the madding crowd" on those days. We certainly wouldn't contemplate a world cruise on that particular ship for fear of developing cabin fever!

Well fizzy, you have told me something no one else has mentioned and it is valuable information. So reception has seasick pills do they? That is great to know. We usually carry some but we have never been seasick (knock on wood) even in choppy waters crossing the Atlantic. Don't want to be either. Thanks. We are going for it. Cost is right. Itinerary is right. Cabin, who knows but it is larger than normal.

I say go for it. Regarding tablets.... they are free.. A crew member told us that they are what the staff uses.

Everyone has their own preferences, but I'm in the "love the Navigator" club. I'll confess up front that (1) I am not prone to seasickness, and (2) I have a soft spot for quirky little cruise ships (Song of Flower, anyone?). But I like the intimacy of the Navigator, and the spaciousness of the cabins. I haven't been on since the refurbishment, so will see what that brought.

I did a 72-night cruise on the Nav back in 2008, and that cruise included an east to west south Atlantic crossing. I definitely felt the motion of the ocean, but it didn't bother me. So much so that I'm booked on an 89-nighter next year on it that also involves an east to west crossing, this time the north Atlantic.

That being said, I'd never book an aft cabin. And I always go for deck 6.

Mjobtx:

FWI's Worth re: Navigator experience(s) and upcoming Miami-Amazon River cruise.

Sue and my experiences on Navigator have been limited to a couple Montreal-NYC; or NYC-Montreal Fall Foliage cruises when, fortunately, the Atlantic Ocean (and St. Lawrence Seaway) were calm. Very-pleasant cruises with a very-loyal crew.

Yes, we have been in rough seas--usually when doing Atlantic crossings from Miami to Europe. These were on larger ships, HAL's Veendam and Cunard's Victoria. Sometimes, bigger is really better in the South Atlantic, no matter what time of year. Stuff happens. The generic pills provided at the front desk usually do the job. If not--the ship's doctor/nurse are available with stronger stuff.

The Navigator is a unique ship. She was not originally scheduled to be a cruise liner, for reasons mentioned above. Always received 5+ service. For that reason, we will do the Miami-Amazon River-Miami itinerary in three months.

Have also scheduled a Navigator December Los Angeles-Hawaii-Los Angeles cruise. Trust Pacific Ocean waters will be just that--pacific.

Go for it.

GoArmy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have just booked a 16 nights cruise on the Navigator from Miami to Los Angeles in December / January. Do you think the sea should be calm and that we should not be annoyed by seasickness? After reading all these posts I am a little bit afraid now even if I think the Gulf of Mexico and the pacific coast along Guatemala and Mexico should be very quiet at that moment of the year. Thanks for your inputs. Cheers from Switzerland. Christophe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello

I have just booked a 16 nights cruise on the Navigator from Miami to Los Angeles in December / January. Do you think the sea should be calm and that we should not be annoyed by seasickness? After reading all these posts I am a little bit afraid now even if I think the Gulf of Mexico and the pacific coast along Guatemala and Mexico should be very quiet at that moment of the year. Thanks for your inputs. Cheers from Switzerland. Christophe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Pacific Ocean tends to be rougher than one would imagine. As long as your suite is on a lower deck and mid-ship, you should be fine.

I can pretty much tell you what a representative from Regent will say about the Navigator. It is their most popular ship and people love her. IMO, it was the most popular ship because it was the least expensive (no longer the case) and was easy to fill because she holds only 490 passengers instead of 700 or 750. Lastly, she uses less fuel than the other ships.

GOARMY: Not sure how to answer your post......... hmmmmm, let me just ask if you read the blog or thread from the world cruisers when they discussed the crossing on the Navigator from the west coast to Hawaii? I strongly suggest that you do so:evilsmile:.

Really no way to know if seas will be rough or smooth from lakes to the ocean to the Drake Passage/Roaring 40's. At times the Med has been described as rougher than the Atlantic or Pacific. Simply no way to tell before you are actually there. Several years ago we took the Navigator in September from Seward to Beijing with the crossing of the Pacific to the north along the Aleutians to Petrolovik on the Kamchatka Peninsula and we had no sea problems, at times was a bit rough but, nothing to be worried about. Enjoyed the cruise and the Navigator. Could have had rough seas and 40 foot waves like we actually enjoyed many years ago on the original Pacific Princess goeing across the Gulf of Alaska with truly 40 foot seas. Absolutely no way to plan in advance. If you cruise you will be on the water and almost anything is possible no matter the time of year or the body of water. Only one difference in that is bad seas are more than likely during the Hurricane season in the Atlantic and the Cyclone season in the Pacific but, for instance Hurricane season in the Atlantic is half the year, June thru November and believe it was Hurricane Andrew that was actually in late May. Not trying to scare people but, it will be what it will be and if you want to cruise, you have to accept the possibilities.

We numerous cruises in the Med. (three last year on the Explorer and two the year before on the Mariner) and had seas that were very calm. Regent has not done the Bering Sea for several years. While that crossing can have only 10-15 waves, the Mariner experienced 40 foot waves. Once the Mariner left Alaska and was replaced by the Navigator, Regent discontinued sailings to Japan and onward to China. I can't remember how many years ago this was since the Mariner has been back in Alaska for at least two years.

The Navigator "barely" goes to the Med which, IMO, is one of best places for it to sail. Actually, I'd like to see the Navigator back in Alaska - especially since the Mariner is not getting the bookings that it used to in that area. My concerns about the Navigator would be sailings in the Pacific Ocean, Fall sailings around New York and Montreal and probably transatlantic crossings.

While no one can accurately predict the weather, the fact that the Navigator can have difficulties in rough seas is pretty much accepted by most people that have sailed on her (especially those that are bothered by the "motion of the ocean". As I recommended to GOARMY, the world cruise thread and the blog contained within the thread explain how the Navigator performs at sea much better than I can.

Below are two of “forgap’s” posts on theWorld cruise thread:

Posted January22nd, 2017, 12:05 PM

Day 2

We are definitely in rough seas. Everyone who is not in bed is staggering inthe hallways. I took a Bonnie and put on a patch last night and slept for 12hours. Once I took the patch off this morning, I began to feel like was in theland of the living!

Dinner last night was very good. The menu is extensive so you would have to beone picky eater not to find something that tempts you. The ship really startedto rock once we started out to sea. Since we had a later than expectedsail-away, most passengers were already eating. One larger than expected wavecaused a monumental crash in Compas Rose everyone in the pace clapped). Our waitersaid that the charger plates were stacked up and that was the crash we heard.Given that they are Versace chargers, it must have been one expensive mishap!After the crash, the sommeliers were busy proactively taking the ice bucketsfilled with bottles of wine off of their pedestals and placing them on thefloor.

January 23rd,2017, 03:03 PM

Welcome to RSSC ZombieApocalypse! I haven't left our cabin all day as I'm high on scopolamine andbonine. My husband (who is not seasick) said few are out and about. It is asunny day but there is high wind and high seas. The cabin is creakingalarmingly and the ship feels like a tilt-o-whirl.

The following is from a blogger (link is on the World Cruise thread)

January 22, 2017 - As I said on Face Book this morning,"Yeeee Haw! Ride'm Navigator". The Pacific Ocean has beenvery nasty ever since we left San Diego yesterday evening. We arepitching up, down, sideways, and at times, cork screwing. In addition tohaving a half of a patch behind my ear I am wearing wrist bands which I call"practicing safe cruising". So far we both are doing ok.

January 23rd - It was hard tosleep last night because of the rough ride. At 8:30 am we areexperiencing long swells of over 20 feet hitting the ship pretty much head onso ship is pitching a lot. This is worse ride than it was yesterday. Hopefully ride will improve later today.

January 24 - This was our position at 11:00am. We are approximately half way between San Diego and Honolulu. Unfortunately, the ship is still moving around due to the 16 foot longswells although not as bad today as it was yesterday. Still not able touse the fitness center because it would be too difficult to try and stay on atreadmill. Temperature is still a cool 64F. At noon the Captainsaid the sea conditions will continue to improve the further west we go.

Re: Heads-up by TravelCat concerning considering Navigator as to its December 2017 LA-Hawaii-LA itinerary following review of several CC Threads.

As posted earlier, our previous Navigator experiences have been limited to Montreal-NYC; or NYC-Montreal Fall Foliage itineraries over the past-several years. And, we will be aboard Navigator in May for the Miami-Amazon River-Miami cruise. Nothing has changed in that regard.

That said: we are reconsidering whether to board Navigator for this December's LA-Hawaii-LA cruise. For comparison purposes: Did a portion of a relatively-similar itinerary aboard Crystal's "Symphony" in November, 2014. Symphony is twice the size of Navigator. Routing was San Diego to Hawaii--then a long crossing to New Zealand. Totally pleasant as to sea conditions from San Diego to Hawaii--let-alone to New Zealand. Bad weather as to rain and gloom on most of the second segment out of Hawaii to New Zealand; but, no rough sea conditions.

However, that was then; and this is now.

TravelCat: Will further discuss the above w/you when we meet at Miami on March 25th. Thanks for giving me the heads' up and opportunity for further reflection.

GoARMY!