NCLer trying Royal!

Eleteace

Hey guys,

I have been on multiple cruises, mostly on NCL. I have just booked a little cruise on the independence of the seas and am wondering how Royal is different from NCL?

Anything I should look out for? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I'm very excited to try Royal!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey guys,

I have been on multiple cruises, mostly on NCL. I have just booked a little cruise on the independence of the seas and am wondering how Royal is different from NCL?

Anything I should look out for? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated. I'm very excited to try Royal!

Recent "NCL vs" threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2437100

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326780

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2412028

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2396530

Hey guys,

Independence is a nice ship in the Freedom class, Not the biggest or newest, but in the top end IMO. Given your NCL, history, I'd like to hear what you think when you get back. I just had friends that did a 4 and 5 day cruise. Is that what you are doing, 4 or 5 day? Seems like a nice into to RC.

Independence is a nice ship in the Freedom class, Not the biggest or newest, but in the top end IMO. Given your NCL, history, I'd like to hear what you think when you get back. I just had friends that did a 4 and 5 day cruise. Is that what you are doing, 4 or 5 day? Seems like a nice into to RC.

Yeah I'm doing a 5 night, just out of Southampton so easy for me. I do feel like I'm missing out not having tried royal. The ship looks incredible to me!

Thanks for the links too above poster!

Hi,Just a few notes. For your information,RCCL bathrooms are very small. Showers are very small. Beds on most RCCL ships are hard as rock-ask for a mattress topper from your cabin steward the time you see him/her. Sometimes the captain's reception serves free champagne. Dinners,food portions small but can ask for more than one entree. Use Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade as an alternative to buffet,especially for lunch(and on the first day). If they have a 70's party or Brit. party,go to these they are fun! I travel solo,I like RCCL much more than NCL. Note-not as many speciality resaturants on RCCL than NCL. Hope these comments help. Kendra

Hi,Just a few notes. For your information,RCCL bathrooms are very small. Showers are very small. Beds on most RCCL ships are hard as rock-ask for a mattress topper from your cabin steward the time you see him/her. Sometimes the captain's reception serves free champagne. Dinners,food portions small but can ask for more than one entree. Use Park Cafe or Cafe Promenade as an alternative to buffet,especially for lunch(and on the first day). If they have a 70's party or Brit. party,go to these they are fun! I travel solo,I like RCCL much more than NCL. Note-not as many speciality resaturants on RCCL than NCL. Hope these comments help. Kendra

Very helpful thank you! I rarely go to speciality restaurants so I'm glad there aren't as many :)

We have sailed about an equal amount of each. I think you will like RCI. They stole Freestyle dining and call it My Time. Someone mentioned the ice show. That is a big difference. They have formal mights where NCL does not.

Ahh yes I'm planning on trying the my time dining, can't wait to see the ice show!

How formal are the formal nights? I've cruised with Cunard and hope that it's not that formal, the dress code was very strict.

Ahh yes I'm planning on trying the my time dining, can't wait to see the ice show!

How formal are the formal nights? I've cruised with Cunard and hope that it's not that formal, the dress code was very strict.

About as formal as NCL would be, if they had formal nights. Your choice. Dress to the nines (what does that mean anyway) or just a simple sport jacket. It is determined more by your spouse than RCI. :rolleyes:

I have done one of each and they both have bright spots and neither had any real negatives as far as I am concerned. Norwegian didn't have as many activities but it was indeed a smaller ship than the RCL ship I've been on. Royal Caribbean blew me away with all the activities. I loved that it was easy to tell where I was and which way I was going while on the decks with rooms because the fish on the carpet swim forward :) Royal does something cute like that as well by changing the day in the carpet in every elevator. The bed on Royal was the most comfortable I have ever had on a cruise and I did notice it had an egg crate mattress on it. One biiig thing about NCL that impressed me was the party they had at every port when we were boarding. We were docked beside an Disney ship in Cozumel and some of their cruisers were coming over to dance with us lol

Edited by 2Ccruisers