No BYOB Alcohol, how about Soft Drinks?

Have not cruise RCL in many years, but heading out for the Rock Legends Cruise this week. Are we allowed to bring soft drinks on with us? Not talking a case, just 4-6. DH doesn't drink coffee, so his caffeine fix in the AM is A Coke Zero :D. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Not allowed to bring anything on except 2 bottles of wine.

Sometimes ppl manage to bring some water on, but even that is not technically allowed.

As a side note...is there even enough caffeine in coke Zero to do anything?....I could be wrong but I thought that caffeine in a can is 1/10 of what's in a coffee.....so not sure there is really much kick in that can?!

I always carry 6-12 cans (depending on length of cruise) of Pepsi. Even though we always get the drink package, they only serve Coke products. If I need more, I purchase and carry on at one of the ports.

You might have a problem being that you are on a charter.

They are not strict in enforcing the policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the responses. Will take our chances on bringing some Coke products with us. Not much to lose if they confiscate them :) Not sure about caffeine levels in Coke Zero, but seems to work for DH :D.

Also, didn't realize RCL now allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine aboard. Good to know!

Edited by SweetPease

Thanks for the responses. Will take our chances on bringing some Coke products with us. Not much to lose if they confiscate them :) Not sure about caffeine levels in Coke Zero, but seems to work for DH :D.

Also, didn't realize RCL now allows you to bring 2 bottles of wine aboard. Good to know!

Per stateroom and in 750ml bottles.

Edited by easyboy

• 11 months later...

I have a small 9 pack of water bottles and a 24 pack of variety juice bottles. They are shrink wrapped and I taped a luggage tag to them. Can I put them at the curb with luggage ( I did once on Princess) or should I use a rollaway carry on luggage to walk them on?

I have a small 9 pack of water bottles and a 24 pack of variety juice bottles. They are shrink wrapped and I taped a luggage tag to them. Can I put them at the curb with luggage ( I did once on Princess) or should I use a rollaway carry on luggage to walk them on?

You have a better chance with a piece of luggage - some porters will insist you carry it on yourself if not in something with handles. That could be a major pia.

Likely they won't catch a few cans of soda....it's really alcohol they are looking for.

Once again our resident ill informed commenter replies with false information.

It's not that they don't catch it. They know it is there, just usually don't care enough to enforce the policy. Usually they only worry about this during spring break. Having said that, I'm going out a limb here and wonder if they are going to be more vigilant on this "Rock Legends" cruise?

In either case, if you can I would put your soda in your carry on and not your checked bags "just in case". Having it confiscated at security saves more time than having to go retrieve your suitcase from the naughty room.

My usual caveat here... Some people will say "doing X worked for me". That doesn't mean doing X will work for you. The exception does not disprove the rule.

I don't blame people for wanting to save money, have their preferred brand, etc. But describing how to circumvent published rules that ends up costing the rest of us money is not the purpose of this website. I wish mods would zap any thread asking how to smuggle and / or just provide people with contact info to voice their displeasure direct w the company. That way maybe the policy would change.

On 12/3,my wife and I boarded the Liberty with a small rollaboard containing 2 12-packs: one each of Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper.

We've done it before, and never had a problem.

Just curious what "never had a problem" means. Do you mean "we put the suitcase on the conveyor belt to be scanned, they saw cans (or didn't), and said nothing" or "they saw the cans, opened the suitcase, saw that it was soda, and said that was fine."

Just curious what "never had a problem" means. Do you mean "we put the suitcase on the conveyor belt to be scanned, they saw cans (or didn't), and said nothing" or "they saw the cans, opened the suitcase, saw that it was soda, and said that was fine."

We usually take a 24 pack of Dasani in our luggage that we give to the porters. We got called down to security one time the first evening for us to open up our luggage. They looked at it, saw it was just water and didn't care. So while I am sure every now and then they confiscate it. 95% of the time you'll be fine. If they take it, you're out like $5. We can't stand the Evian water on the ship, which is why we bring our own.

I don't blame people for wanting to save money, have their preferred brand, etc. But describing how to circumvent published rules that ends up costing the rest of us money is not the purpose of this website. I wish mods would zap any thread asking how to smuggle and / or just provide people with contact info to voice their displeasure direct w the company. That way maybe the policy would change.

I agree with you to a point, but disagree that what is being described is smuggling. RCL pretty much doesn't care about enforcing their own rules when it comes to reasonable amounts of sealed water, soda and similar. You can OPENLY bring it on the ship most times of the year. The only difference between putting it in a bag and putting a luggage tag straight on the package is how its carried.

The solution to this issue is RCL merely enforcing the policy or eliminating it. So long as they chose to not enforce it, I believe it isn't smuggling.

Now, taking hard liquor on board in a manner that it is hidden to avoid its detection I would consider smuggling. No amount of hard liquor is permitted. This rule is enforced by RCL. So, this situation differs greatly from the apparently open policy on water, soda, etc.

I agree with you to a point, but disagree that what is being described is smuggling. RCL pretty much doesn't care about enforcing their own rules when it comes to reasonable amounts of sealed water, soda and similar. You can OPENLY bring it on the ship most times of the year. The only difference between putting it in a bag and putting a luggage tag straight on the package is how its carried.

The solution to this issue is RCL merely enforcing the policy or eliminating it. So long as they chose to not enforce it, I believe it isn't smuggling.

Now, taking hard liquor on board in a manner that it is hidden to avoid its detection I would consider smuggling. No amount of hard liquor is permitted. This rule is enforced by RCL. So, this situation differs greatly from the apparently open policy on water, soda, etc.

Correct and a lot of times rules are in place just so they can enforce them if they need to enforce them, not that they necessarily want to enforce them all the time.