Carnival Paradise vs. Holland Oosterdam?

SeaNStars4Me

I only have 1 cruise experience and it was on Carnival Paradise out of Tampa. It was not good----pee stains on my bed sheets, blood stains on pool towels, almost unedible food in the buffett, rust and stains all over cabin, shower flooded entire bathroom, very small pool, mediocre spa, lumpy bed. The only things I liked were the adults-only sunning area and the entertainment shows.

I'm thinking of taking another cruise on Holland Oosterdam out of Tampa-price is very good. Hoping for a better experience than on Paradise.

If anyone has been on them both recently, can you let me know if Oosterdam is any better than Paradise?

Thanks!!!!!

Agree with Bruce.

Have not sailed on Carnival (nor do you make me want to!), nor on the O'dam or her same-size sisters, but I have sailed on HAL ships both larger and smaller (five in all and another in 10 weeks!), and I have always been impressed with how clean and comfortable the Dam Ships are. The Oosterdam's last drydock was less than a year ago so she should be in shipshape (sorry!).

The food is basically banquet or buffet preparation; I wouldn't call it 5*, but good and occasionally brilliant -- and if you do get something you really don't like, they'll be happy to get or give you something else.

Also the staff or crew on HAL ships are the most pleasant I could imagine. Now, I only have two other ocean lines to compare, but between them and HAL it is night and day.

I'm a Princess cruiser with 20+ cruises with them, and one 4 day cruise on the Carnival Paradise a couple of years ago.

While my one Carnival cruise experience was not nearly as unpleasant as what you describe, it's not something that I would care to repeat without a good motivator. I only did it because other family members were going and encouraged me to join them. Plus it was pretty last-minute, so the fares were cheap, and I didn't have to fly to the port city nor add the cost of a hotel room for a pre-cruise night.

The bottom line is that in the same situation as you, I would definitely opt to give HAL a try. It almost HAS to be better.

Edited by flamomo

I have cruised on both ships. Please understand that I was on The CCL Paradise back in 2002 when it was a smoke free ship and the quality of CCL was still high. Unfortunately, CCL standards have fallen badly. I was on the HAL Oosterdam in 2014 in Alaska for one week on the HAL two week land/sea tour. HAL, as all cruise lines has made changes and cut backs but they have continued, for me, to provide an excellent cruising experience. The passengers on HAL tend to be older than what one will find on many CCL ships, but I think this also adds to the "refinement" of the cruise. I think you'll enjoy the Oosterdam as a ship and the style of cruising that HAL still offers.

I'm thinking of taking another cruise on Holland Oosterdam out of Tampa-price is very good. Hoping for a better experience than on Paradise.

If anyone has been on them both recently, can you let me know if Oosterdam is any better than Paradise?

Thanks!!!!!

I was on the Oosterdam last March right before it went into dry dock for a bit of refurbish. It was a fine ship before with great service and above average food. Carnival and HAL serve different clientele, with HAL being a more traditional type cruise.

Neal