Looking for 1st hand Vegan Not Vegetarian experience’s on RCCL??

Ilandguy

So frustrating when people say they are Vegan, but then say they eat fish etc. You are Not Vegan.

This is questionable reasoning. It's a matter of degree. A preference to only eat Vegan food makes someone Vegan. Unless a said Vegan plans to starve at times then they will be flexible when they have to be. Being Vegan is a very fringe eating pattern (tolerated to some extent in Western countries and much less tolerated elsewhere) and so Vegans typically are flexible since otherwise their choice of eating out venues is extremely limited.

I don't drink alcohol, yet in the lest ten years I've had the odd glass. One last week, and the previous one around seven years ago. By your reasoning I'm a drinker yet virtually nobody would agree with this.

This is questionable reasoning. It's a matter of degree. A preference to only eat Vegan food makes someone Vegan. Unless a said Vegan plans to starve at times then they will be flexible when they have to be. Being Vegan is a very fringe eating pattern (tolerated to some extent in Western countries and much less tolerated elsewhere) and so Vegans typically are flexible since otherwise their choice of eating out venues is extremely limited.

I don't drink alcohol, yet in the lest ten years I've had the odd glass. One last week, and the previous one around seven years ago. By your reasoning I'm a drinker yet virtually nobody would agree with this.

I would add that I feel this varies from person to person. I’ve talked with several vegans who will do as you suggested, and have also talked with several “die hard” vegans who will not compromise on their beliefs and would starve themselves before they ate anything that had a heartbeat. Maybe they would be considered “extremists,” or the more flexible ones might be considered “traitors,” I’m not sure. What irritates me are the hardcore ones who will make an absolute scene if there are no options suitable to their dietary restrictions, as well as berate the omnivores around them who don’t susbscribe to their choices. While I would guess that those are in he minority, they are the few that give the others a bad image.

Hi

I saw in your post below that you had another cruise on the Allure in Sept 2017. How did the vegan diet go? I am cruising on the Symphony of the Seas June 2017 and wonder what to expect on the bigger ships.

Thanks!

Hello,

Our cruise experience is always great. As far as the Veganism goes on cruises... well it is hit and miss. We just do our best. Eat in the Windjammer a lot and just have fun and don't worry about it. The worst part about the cruise that we went on last September was all of the hurricanes. The week before the cruise we were practically blown out of our home, lol by hurricane Irma. It was up in the air if the cruise was going or if the port was going to open and I have to say Royal Caribbean was not very helpful in that area. We ended up going and our itinerary was changed since all of the ports were blown to smithereens. While on board the captain did updates twice daily regarding the next hurricane with was Maria. We were safe and far away from the damage it caused. What a crazy experience. All in all a good time was had by all though.

Windjammer (at least on my last cruise) the card above each food item listing the name of the item also had a notation for the vegetarian items. They did not denote which of the vegetarian items are vegan but I asked a manager there and he was glad to tell me which items were vegan.

Whole foods are obvious but some of the foods combining rice, vegetables, etc. could have a cream sauce so it is good to ask.

Windjammer (at least on my last cruise) the card above each food item listing the name of the item also had a notation for the vegetarian items. They did not denote which of the vegetarian items are vegan but I asked a manager there and he was glad to tell me which items were vegan.

Whole foods are obvious but some of the foods combining rice, vegetables, etc. could have a cream sauce so it is good to ask.

Hi, I'm Vegan :)

I was on the Anthem in Oct 2017 for the 1st time being Vegan with cruising . at the main dining, I just ordered a salad and I put the olive oil and balsamic on it. They tried to make something vegan in the main dining but it usually ended up being potatoes, verses I asked for Veg.'s so I then just asked for steamed veg's. I didn't want to make a big deal.

My husband eats vegan at home because I cook. But on a cruise it's another story, it's meat at every meal. So after the main dining we go to the windjammer and I ask what dishes are Vegan, they were great in telling me, if it had butter or cream, then I knew it wasn't vegan. Or they offer to cook me up something. So I would pick the veg's and they would stir fry with wonderful Indian flavors. I had a great experience being Vegan on the Anthem.

I am cruising on the Serenade Jan 15th to the caribbean and hope to have the same experience. It's great to talk to the head chef in the windjammer and get the lowdown on the Vegan food. Glad to see other vegan's are cruising.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your response. This will be my first time cruising vegan, too. I love Indian food and would be quite happy to eat it every day :)

I think I may bring some packets of peanut butter to add some protein for breakfasts.

How did the Serenade go?

Hi, I'm Vegan :)

I was on the Anthem in Oct 2017 for the 1st time being Vegan with cruising . at the main dining, I just ordered a salad and I put the olive oil and balsamic on it. They tried to make something vegan in the main dining but it usually ended up being potatoes, verses I asked for Veg.'s so I then just asked for steamed veg's. I didn't want to make a big deal.

My husband eats vegan at home because I cook. But on a cruise it's another story, it's meat at every meal. So after the main dining we go to the windjammer and I ask what dishes are Vegan, they were great in telling me, if it had butter or cream, then I knew it wasn't vegan. Or they offer to cook me up something. So I would pick the veg's and they would stir fry with wonderful Indian flavors. I had a great experience being Vegan on the Anthem.

I am cruising on the Serenade Jan 15th to the caribbean and hope to have the same experience. It's great to talk to the head chef in the windjammer and get the lowdown on the Vegan food. Glad to see other vegan's are cruising.

Hi,

The Serenade went very well. For breakfast: I brought my steel cut oats and added nuts. I asked for Almond milk, it was a little hard to get but then not a problem after that.

Lunch I just went to windjammer and made a spinach salad

Dinner I talked to my head waiter and they did a great job on getting food for me. It was mostly indian because that is what I requested. Just made sure there was no butter or cream. I can't remember all I had but the other thing I requested were lentils. All the flavors were great. I would then go to the windjammer and eat a salad if I felt I needed more veggies, then I would get some fruit for desert.

Also, if you go to the windjammer they will let you know what has cream in it. They would also stir fry me some veg's in the windjammer if I needed it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm going on the Vision in June to Europe so we will see how it goes, but so far so good.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear things went well!

Did you bring your own oats because the oatmeal was made with milk? Or do you just like steel cut oats?

Hi,

The Serenade went very well. For breakfast: I brought my steel cut oats and added nuts. I asked for Almond milk, it was a little hard to get but then not a problem after that.

Lunch I just went to windjammer and made a spinach salad

Dinner I talked to my head waiter and they did a great job on getting food for me. It was mostly indian because that is what I requested. Just made sure there was no butter or cream. I can't remember all I had but the other thing I requested were lentils. All the flavors were great. I would then go to the windjammer and eat a salad if I felt I needed more veggies, then I would get some fruit for desert.

Also, if you go to the windjammer they will let you know what has cream in it. They would also stir fry me some veg's in the windjammer if I needed it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm going on the Vision in June to Europe so we will see how it goes, but so far so good.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear things went well!

Did you bring your own oats because the oatmeal was made with milk? Or do you just like steel cut oats?

I bring them because they are organic and they add a lot of water to their oats. But they said their oats are vegan. And I like steel cut.

• 3 months later...
I'm vegan and it is hard sometimes. I have another cruise on Sept 1 and I'm thinking of bringing a few things. Like earth balance butter, vegan sour cream and vegan cream cheese

I hope none of those need to be refrigerated. The cooler in your room won’t be cold enough.