Vegan/Vegetarian accommodations on NCL?

threebirds

Hi guys!

I had a less than ideal experience cruising with Carnival as a vegetarian - I was only able to eat mostly sides at meals and even then the dining room staff was never entirely sure if things were made with chicken stock, animal fat, etc.

Now, I'm 1000% not intense about restaurants/hotels/etc. catering to me because I understand the way I eat is not the norm, and I definitely don't expect people to go out of their way to make food for me. However, when I've paid the same amount for a cruise as everyone around me and can only eat a couple of things I don't even like off of the menu for an entire week, it's a little frustrating.

This time around, my wife is vegan and I'm mostly plant-based. So in an effort to avoid the issues we had on our last cruise, I decided to book with NCL because their website specifically mentions vegetarians and suggests that if you email them 8 weeks before your cruise to let them know you'll be on board, they'll be able to accommodate you! I was super excited about this and last week sent them an email to let them know.

However, their email response to me was something along the lines of "here are links to photos of our menus, hope that helps!"

So I responded and mentioned the wording on their website and asked if there were additional accommodations that could be made. But when they responded they didn't really acknowledge the wording on the website and just said that that there's nothing they can do and I'll have to ask once onboard.

Their responses seem directly contrary to what I'm reading on the site, and I'm starting to get concerned that we'll be having another less-than-ideal food experience on this cruise again. Their emails feel a little canned and I can't help but have the feeling they're not really listening to me.

So for any of you who are vegan/veg or even have another type of dietary restriction, has NCL been able to accommodate you? What did they do? Did they do anything when you let them know beforehand? Who did you talk to?

Thanks for asking this! I am also plant based no oil and very concerned that I will spend the entire cruise eating just fruit. Look forward to seeing the answers you get.

Hi guys!

I had a less than ideal experience cruising with Carnival as a vegetarian - I was only able to eat mostly sides at meals and even then the dining room staff was never entirely sure if things were made with chicken stock, animal fat, etc.

Now, I'm 1000% not intense about restaurants/hotels/etc. catering to me because I understand the way I eat is not the norm, and I definitely don't expect people to go out of their way to make food for me. However, when I've paid the same amount for a cruise as everyone around me and can only eat a couple of things I don't even like off of the menu for an entire week, it's a little frustrating.

This time around, my wife is vegan and I'm mostly plant-based. So in an effort to avoid the issues we had on our last cruise, I decided to book with NCL because their website specifically mentions vegetarians and suggests that if you email them 8 weeks before your cruise to let them know you'll be on board, they'll be able to accommodate you! I was super excited about this and last week sent them an email to let them know.

However, their email response to me was something along the lines of "here are links to photos of our menus, hope that helps!"

So I responded and mentioned the wording on their website and asked if there were additional accommodations that could be made. But when they responded they didn't really acknowledge the wording on the website and just said that that there's nothing they can do and I'll have to ask once onboard.

Their responses seem directly contrary to what I'm reading on the site, and I'm starting to get concerned that we'll be having another less-than-ideal food experience on this cruise again. Their emails feel a little canned and I can't help but have the feeling they're not really listening to me.

So for any of you who are vegan/veg or even have another type of dietary restriction, has NCL been able to accommodate you? What did they do? Did they do anything when you let them know beforehand? Who did you talk to?

Thanks for asking this! I am also plant based no oil and very concerned that I will spend the entire cruise eating just fruit. Look forward to seeing the answers you get.

Our replies from NCL were nothing like that. Did you email the special access desk or a general NCL email address???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DMH15

• 1 month later...

Just a report on our Alaska cruise on the Jewel.

My vegan daughter was, indeed, well taken care of by the staff. At lunch on the day of embarkation, we told the Matre d' that she was a vegan. A designated staff member came to our table and let her know what was available at the evening meal. Meanwhile, she ordered lunch with a few modifications, which they were happy to make for her.

She also tried the Garden Cafe, buffet. There were more vegan options, but she was always having to track down staff to ask what was in the dish, since they were only labeled "vegetarian" and not "vegan." She said the veggie burger was delicious, but had to be grilled to order - and with the same grill and utensils used for meat. (She didn't ask, but expected they might have cooked it separately if one was a more stringent vegan.) She joined us in the main dining room for most meals.

The specialty restaurants we went to - Le Bistro, La Cochina and Tepanyaki - all accommodated her with no problem.

She wished soy milk was available (without asking) as more venues, but got her morning coffee.

We had one excursion which involved a meal - the bus trip to Yukon. I waited until the night before to ask the excursion desk if they could accommodate vegan. By the time we left the next morning,t hey had not received an email response from the vendor. But the minute we got on the bus, our driver/guide let us know there would be vegan at lunch.

The only other minor hiccup was at the wine and chocolate tasting, which had milk chocolate paired with one or two of the wines. But I'm not complaining, because I got her chocolate!

• 4 weeks later...
As a vegan I can tell you that some of my best meals have been aboard NCL - even prior to learning about the Special Access desk. Specific questions that have been asked on this forum:

• Rennet-free cheese availability: Unsure. I'm not a huge fan of cheese, so I've never asked. Interested to hear the answer though.
  • "Milk" Options: NCL has almond and soy milk. I always call 30 days prior to boarding to have a special request for almond milk as I have been told they tend not to stock a large amount. The brand they use is also gluten-free (some brands have a gluten binding agent)
  • Vegetable soup: Most "vegetable soups" are made with chicken broth on boats - it's a flavor-thing. Ask your waiter or the maitre d' if you can order veggie soup in broth. The kitchen always has plain broth, and usually are willing to throw in some vegetables to make a quick soup (your meal may be delayed / slow though). If you are eating at that same restaurant for more than one day, ask on your first visit - they may be able to accommodate you on your second meal easier.
  • Bread: some breads are made with egg and butter - the sourdough and french bread options are not made with eggs or dairy, but do have yeast.

Best places to eat:

1. Buffet: Indian and middle eastern cuisine outstanding. Many of the vegetable dishes are made with oil rather than butter, but always ask. Salad bar is fresh and plentiful, and you can find sorbet at most of the ice cream venues (make sure it's not "sherbet" though). Try the congee option as well - it's a Japanese rice breakfast often served with meat, but can be vegan depending on what you add to the base
  2. Moderno: Yes..I swear! The salad bar is outstanding - especially the hearts of palm. If you have an otherwise carnivorous family, this is a great restaurant to share a meal. Some vegans are uncomfortable around meat in general, so this may not be best option for them
  3. Sushi Restaurant: Depending on your ship, there will be a sushi restaurant that can make you both menu and special order rolls. Veggie, cucumber and seaweed salad with picked daikon rolled in sesame seeds is a personal favorite (as is the sake martini with cucumber...yum)
  4. Haven: If you happen to be in the Haven, they will tailor meals to your dining preferences. I'm completely spoiled by my last trip in which the breakfast buffet was a vegan's dream. Hot cereals are made with water generally all over the ship - oatmeal with dried fruits and granola is a great way to start a vegan day.

I love, love to eat .... and honestly have had good vegan food on Disney, Celebrity, RCL and NCL. You just have to plan ahead a bit and be vocal and persistent about your requests.

Warm regards, Amy

This was a great post to read..I'm planning ahead for a cruise ...last year I planned to eat gluten free and NCL was very accomodating....this year since I'm trying to be more plant based and gluten free it's good to have these tips in mind...Thanks!

Just a report on our Alaska cruise on the Jewel.

My vegan daughter was, indeed, well taken care of by the staff. At lunch on the day of embarkation, we told the Matre d' that she was a vegan. A designated staff member came to our table and let her know what was available at the evening meal. Meanwhile, she ordered lunch with a few modifications, which they were happy to make for her.

She also tried the Garden Cafe, buffet. There were more vegan options, but she was always having to track down staff to ask what was in the dish, since they were only labeled "vegetarian" and not "vegan." She said the veggie burger was delicious, but had to be grilled to order - and with the same grill and utensils used for meat. (She didn't ask, but expected they might have cooked it separately if one was a more stringent vegan.) She joined us in the main dining room for most meals.

The specialty restaurants we went to - Le Bistro, La Cochina and Tepanyaki - all accommodated her with no problem.

She wished soy milk was available (without asking) as more venues, but got her morning coffee.

We had one excursion which involved a meal - the bus trip to Yukon. I waited until the night before to ask the excursion desk if they could accommodate vegan. By the time we left the next morning,t hey had not received an email response from the vendor. But the minute we got on the bus, our driver/guide let us know there would be vegan at lunch.

The only other minor hiccup was at the wine and chocolate tasting, which had milk chocolate paired with one or two of the wines. But I'm not complaining, because I got her chocolate!

Totally unacceptable to have vegetarian food prepared with the same utensils as used for meat ... there will be transfer of meat to the food - when on the Epic some time ago I noted the same utensils were used to cut all the pizza into slices, this made all the pizza slices unsuitable for vegetarians, this is before discussing any issues with the cheese. Where I am uncertain is whether this is a difference between UK & USA approaches to catering, a difference in lifestyles, so something else?

• 6 months later...
The topic always gets back to vegetarian. Vegans do not eat dairy (eggs, cheese, milk). Are there options for Vegans?

Yes!!!

I have taken my vegan niece on NCL twice and it was wonderful. You need to write to the access desk in advance of your cruise. Meet with the maître d' on day one. And it takes some planning meeting with maitre d's a day before you dine in a particular restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does anyone know about organic choices. I am not vegan,vegetarian, or organic but my son and his daughter is traveling with us and thus far they have kept her organic

I pretty much eat only organic food at home. On a cruise it's almost impossible though.

We are vegetarians (not vegan).

Every cruise we mention our diet to the cruise line, and once on board we speak to the restaurant people.

We always have vegetarian items. The choice is limited, though, and would be nice if we can have more varieties.

Up market lines like Celebrity and Crystal have better menus for vegetarians.

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

More doctors are prescribing plant-based as the way to get/keep our health. Hopefully, cruise lines will continue getting more requests and be able to add a few meals for us. I lived on veggie burgers from Guys and banana which I know was not the best, but considering most of everything else I saw there was not a lot I felt comfortable eating. Way too much oil, not plant-based etc. The fruit was out of season so it was not ripe and was hard as rocks. Vegetarians will be fine, plant-based, not so much.

• 4 months later...

Had referred to this thread before taking a recent cruise on NCL Star. Based on pat NCL experience and posts in this thread I ws under impression that with one or two days of advance notice and if requests are kept pretty simple (pene pasta), getting edible non-salad vegeterian food should not be a problem.

Hoever, NCL Star made a muck of it.

Any staff outside of MDR insisted that we should be able to pre-order a simple vegeterian dish with at least 1 day's notice. But MDR refused to take such requests. They insisted that NCL no longer takes any special requests other than allergies, medical consitions or religious restrictions.

The answer changed every time you enquired.

on 6th night they were able to make a vegeterian dish (of their choice) in MDR.

There was always a pasta dish (same dish every day) on the menu at MDR and on most nights there was a vegeterian entrey (of not so good quality). Buffett had Asian Station which had vegeterian items.

Overall, NCL Star was the worst cruise expereince from food availibility and quality point of view among mainstream cruise ships (including past experiences with NCL ships)

So, it seems that individual expereince can very dependig on particular sailing, which particuar crew you are ineracting with and of course the expectations one has. Wish NCL makes their special request policy transparent and at least share with their own staff so that they all on same wavelength and guest expectations are set correctly.

Really miss those days when vegeterian and vegan food was too exotic to be available in MDR and after going hungry first night, you got fantastic authentic food from crews kitchen. Nothing fancy but always very authentic and excellent. We were told that NCL has prohibited staff from serving dishes from crews galley to MDR guest. Bummer. One more reason to stay away from NCL for a while.

Edited by hal2008