Want to watch rugby or football while in Sydney

The Penrith players are known as the Mountain Men and as the saying goes 'Mountain men like mountain women'.;)

I am sure they do:p but in my day they were known as the chocolate soldiers!!

Poor OP will be so confused, what has he started!!

US footbal confuses me, but we won't go there!

SCG was the home of League till the 80s, and still is for Aussie Rules, then the football stadium next door took over till they built Olympic Park, so while I agree about depending where you're from it may also vary by what code you followed when.

That is why I put out about the info on the two grounds.

Edited by MicCanberra

And then the licquorice allsorts.

LOl, NFL is a really simple game, it is all the rules that make it confusing.:p

And then the licquorice allsorts.

and I have the jerseys to prove it!!

The trouble with them is that they are sweet and delicious but you end up eating too many and then the trouble starts.:eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

In general, the south of the country likes Aussie Rules (AFL) and the north likes Rugby League (NRL) or Union - although there are always exceptions. Over time, the leagues have been trying to infiltrate the other states (reasonably successfully). I suggest you try to see one of each if you have time. They are very different and the fans are just as passionate!

In general, the south of the country likes Aussie Rules (AFL) and the north likes Rugby League (NRL) or Union - although there are always exceptions. Over time, the leagues have been trying to infiltrate the other states (reasonably successfully). I suggest you try to see one of each if you have time. They are very different and the fans are just as passionate!

The OP could watch the AFL (Swans) on the 25th and the NRL (Tigers) on the 26th.

Just to confuse our American friend. Rugby League =\= rugby. It's a different game so I'm not 100% it's going to be what you want. That said Super Rugby is in season then too

Also A-League will be on. Sydney look set to be in the finals which should be starting around then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to confuse our American friend. Rugby League =\= rugby. It's a different game so I'm not 100% it's going to be what you want. That said Super Rugby is in season then too

Also A-League will be on. Sydney look set to be in the finals which should be starting around then.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No Sydney games for the Super Rugby on any of the times that the OP is there.

A-League has a game on Friday 10 March Fri 10 Mar 2017, 07:50PM Allianz Stadium, Sydney FC vs Central Coast Mariners.

No Sydney games for the Super Rugby on any of the times that the OP is there.

A-League has a game on Friday 10 March Fri 10 Mar 2017, 07:50PM Allianz Stadium, Sydney FC vs Central Coast Mariners.

For OP, A League is soccer (football) I thought the season would be finished by then and but looks like you're in luck.

Hi all

We are taking 2 cruises out of Sydney in March/April We will be staying in Sydney for Mar 10 to 13 pre-cruise, then Mar 25-27, then Apr 10 &11. I would love to add a rugby and football match to our visit. Will this be in season for any team? What level? Any recommendations on what teams to watch/where to see them?

I think all the best options have been given already but I just wanted to congratulate the OP on their attitude. I can't think of a better way to immerse yourself in the culture of a different country than attending the most popular sports. Well done!

I think all the best options have been given already but I just wanted to congratulate the OP on their attitude. I can't think of a better way to immerse yourself in the culture of a different country than attending the most popular sports. Well done!

Agree, and a great experience.

The debate will now be 'What is the most popular sport and why'.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features30Jun+2011

....I just wanted to congratulate the OP on their attitude. I can't think of a better way to immerse yourself in the culture of a different country than attending the most popular sports. Well done!

Agree 100%.

Now I know I will cause some grief here, but there is only one footy and that is Rugby League [NRL] & only one team - the mighty Penrith Panthers (I'm with you on that 'cheznandy'). Now I know I might be a little biased, being born & bred in Penrith, but it's the truth :)

All jokes aside I hope that OP does get to attend a game or two, maybe at the SCG &/or Homebush, and maybe even gets to visit Penrith & have a drink with a local :)

The OP could watch the AFL (Swans) on the 25th and the NRL (Tigers) on the 26th.

Hi Mic (and everyone else)

I had to finally got to bed last night (at 1:30 am, here in western US), so I missed many of these comments. I had just about resolved to see the Swans on the 25th, then I read all the other posts. Now I am thinking this plan by Mic might be quite good--if I can pull it off. I love sports but my hubby and travelling companions may not be of the same mind. But...I will esquire at our hotel, and try and get tickets in advance.

I thank all of you for your input. As some have noted, I am a tad confused--why can't you just call rubgy, soccer, ARL, etc what they are--I don't get the Rugby Union etc other names. How do you keep up with it all???

I also have to add that no matter what we do, we will depend on the kindness of Australians (regardless of team loyalty) to help us get to and from whichever stadium we visit. I thank you in advance.

I am sooo excited about seeing any of these matches in Australia, I can't tel you.

Thanks for all your help. I will barrack for all your teams (I hope I got that sort of right).

ML

PS: As to US NFL, I agree with Mic--it's all in the rules. And if you have a lot of spare time to waste!!

PPS: Do you guys have Fantasy Rugby/ARF/Rugby Union/Soccer there? I play Fantasy NFL Football here and I love it!!!

Edited by NoWhiners

Agree 100%.

Now I know I will cause some grief here, but there is only one footy and that is Rugby League [NRL] & only one team - the mighty Penrith Panthers (I'm with you on that 'cheznandy'). Now I know I might be a little biased, being born & bred in Penrith, but it's the truth :)

All jokes aside I hope that OP does get to attend a game or two, maybe at the SCG &/or Homebush, and maybe even gets to visit Penrith & have a drink with a local :)

Well you're close, definitely League, but not the Penny Panfers, either the men from Redfern, you know, the Pride of the League, or the mighty Scorps.

Hi Mic (and everyone else)

I had to finally got to bed last night (at 1:30 am, here in western US), so I missed many of these comments. I had just about resolved to see the Swans on the 25th, then I read all the other posts. Now I am thinking this plan by Mic might be quite good--if I can pull it off. I love sports but my hubby and travelling companions may not be of the same mind. But...I will esquire at our hotel, and try and get tickets in advance.

I thank all of you for your input. As some have noted, I am a tad confused--why can't you just call rubgy, soccer, ARL, etc what they are--I don't get the Rugby Union etc other names. How do you keep up with it all???

I also have to add that no matter what we do, we will depend on the kindness of Australians (regardless of team loyalty) to help us get to and from whichever stadium we visit. I thank you in advance.

I am sooo excited about seeing any of these matches in Australia, I can't tel you.

Thanks for all your help. I will barrack for all your teams (I hope I got that sort of right).

ML

PS: As to US NFL, I agree with Mic--it's all in the rules. And if you have a lot of spare time to waste!!

PPS: Do you guys have Fantasy Rugby/ARF/Rugby Union/Soccer there? I play Fantasy NFL Football here and I love it!!!

Yep we have fantasy leagues here.

Now as to all the codes and keeping them straight, well.... not sure how but it works most of the time.

Football (Soccer)

Aussie Rules

rugby League

Will all at times be called Footy depending on where you are and who you're talking too.

Rugby Union may be called a Union, but is usually just Rugby.

Rugby League is pretty much never called Rugby, either Rugby League, League or Footy

Australian Rules, football, footy, Rules or Aussie Rules.

Now if that doesn't make you:confused::confused::cool::eek:, nothing will.

As some have noted, I am a tad confused--why can't you just call rubgy, soccer, ARL, etc what they are--I don't get the Rugby Union etc other names. How do you keep up with it all???

It's quite easy, which ever type of football you prefer, you call that the "footy".

I've heard it said that Australia has football codes like other countries have religions, more than you really need, but still not enough to satisfy everybody.

Just don't say that you are "rooting" for some team. People will fall over laughing. In an Australian context it's a bit rude in a Benny Hill kind of way.:D

Agree 100%.

I love you Mr Walker:p (this is Chez not Andy)haha!!

There is nothing like a Penrith home game on a Saturday night or Sunday arvo.......followed by drinks or dinner at Panthers.

When the town was smaller, everyone used to be there for a home game.

It still has that country feel to it, probably like a home game at Balmain:)

It's quite easy, which ever type of football you prefer, you call that the "footy".

I've heard it said that Australia has football codes like other countries have religions, more than you really need, but still not enough to satisfy everybody.

Just don't say that you are "rooting" for some team. People will fall over laughing. In an Australian context it's a bit rude in a Benny Hill kind of way.:D

True story.

Back in the 80s a young girl was staying with friends in Wagga (of all places) she was about 19. I was probably 26.

First thing I remember hearing her say...

"Hi I'm Randy, do you like sport, I root for the Dallas Cowboys".

I think it was the Cowboys, by that time I think I was in real shock, so it may have been some college team.

True story.

Back in the 80s a young girl was staying with friends in Wagga (of all places) she was about 19. I was probably 26.

First thing I remember hearing her say...

"Hi I'm Randy, do you like sport, I root for the Dallas Cowboys".

I think it was the Cowboys, by that time I think I was in real shock, so it may have been some college team.

Well that's it - I am going to root for the Dallas Cowboys on my next visit to the states.

Yep we have fantasy leagues here.

Now as to all the codes and keeping them straight, well.... not sure how but it works most of the time.

Football (Soccer)

Aussie Rules

rugby League

Will all at times be called Footy depending on where you are and who you're talking too.

Rugby Union may be called a Union, but is usually just Rugby.

Rugby League is pretty much never called Rugby, either Rugby League, League or Footy

Australian Rules, football, footy, Rules or Aussie Rules.

Now if that doesn't make you:confused::confused::cool::eek:, nothing will.

Yep, that completely clears it up--thanks:D

I like this interpretation but...

and I was already warned about rooting (even though I still don't get it). I thought barracking was correct? Did I still get it wrong? I do love Benny Hill tho'.

ML

Yep, that completely clears it up--thanks:D

I like this interpretation but...

and I was already warned about rooting (even though I still don't get it). I thought barracking was correct? Did I still get it wrong? I do love Benny Hill tho'.

ML

Barracking is OK, rooting is a sexual term here.