Is Dawn Princess really that bad??

We did a Hawaiian cruise on Dawn Princess in 2010 and our favourite place to soak up some rays and have a cold drink was the Seaview Bar down aft on Lido Deck.

We were on that cruise too:)

We did Sydney to Hawaii.......a week in Honolulu then flew home, that was when they used to split the itinerary.

We spent lots of time at the aft there, our cabin was down the back stairs and just inside the door, loved it!!

While I haven't been on Dawn, we did that Treasures of Asia cruise last year on Sun Princess and it was brilliant.

My kids were 10 and 12 at the time and loved both the ship and the ports. They spent plenty of time in kids club, especially in the evenings.

Every day's a pool day on that itinerary but it can get ferociously hot from noon onwards so you'd want to be sure there are enough indoor activities to keep you happy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I agree we were on her in September 2015 with same problems internal leaks everywhere refurbishing pizza outlet for entire cruise .

We did that cruise too.not only did it leak in the lifts, the pool bar, the bistro and several floors into cabins but our cabin was so small you almost had to take turns at being in it and there were only two of us there. I am hoping that they do a good job onthe refurbishment before they hand it over to p&o

The last two posts are an example of differing opinions on the same aspect of a cruise. For Madfisher, the cabin was far too small for two people, whereas Clarebearinaus had two adults and two children in a cabin and was very happy. :)

We have cruised on the Sun class ships many times and find the cabins great for two people.

Edited by Aus Traveller

The last two posts are an example of differing opinions on the same aspect of a cruise. For Madfisher, the cabin was far too small for two people, whereas Clarebearinaus had two adults and two children in a cabin and was very happy. :)

We have cruised on the Sun class ships many times and find the cabins great for two people.

And we had three adults in a 4 berth OV, had no issue with space really - cabin is only there to stash your case and sleep in after all...

And we had three adults in a 4 berth OV, had no issue with space really - cabin is only there to stash your case and sleep in after all...

We like to use the bathroom facilities as well. IMO, this is where more than two people becomes an issue.

We like to use the bathroom facilities as well. IMO, this is where more than two people becomes an issue.
That one had slipped my mind :eek: We didn't have too many problems as I tend to wake with the light and my cabin mates had apparently never heard of such times earlier than about 10am...made things much easier than might have been otherwise :D

Or different cabins having different sizings. The cabin I had on the DP was the smallest cabin I've ever had, by a considerable margin. I thought Royal Caribbean cabins were small... until I set foot on the Dawn Princess.

In contrast, the cabins on the Diamond Princess are among the largest I've had the pleasure of using.

The Diamond Princess, Pacific Dawn and Pacific Pearl all had cabins that I would consider large - considering that I almost always book interior cabins. Carnival Spirit, Oosterdam, Voyager, Rhapsody and Radiance of the Seas were all mid-sized. The cabin on the DP was noticeably smaller than all of these.

Maybe it was just the class of cabin I had, but that Dawn Princess cabin was tiny.

Edited by Vader1111

Or different cabins having different sizings. The cabin I had on the DP was the smallest cabin I've ever had, by a considerable margin. I thought Royal Caribbean cabins were small... until I set foot on the Dawn Princess.

In contrast, the cabins on the Diamond Princess are among the largest I've had the pleasure of using.

The Diamond Princess, Pacific Dawn and Pacific Pearl all had cabins that I would consider large - considering that I almost always book interior cabins. Carnival Spirit, Oosterdam, Voyager, Rhapsody and Radiance of the Seas were all mid-sized. The cabin on the DP was noticeably smaller than all of these.

Maybe it was just the class of cabin I had, but that Dawn Princess cabin was tiny.

My post referred to different opinions on whether the cabins on the Dawn Princess are too small to be comfortable. My post (and that of two other posters) put forward the personal opinion that the Dawn Princess cabins are adequate. We did not compare the Dawn Princess cabins with those on other ships. The Dawn Princess, Sun Princess and Sea Princess, were all built to the same design with the same sized cabins. Later changes have been made to public areas. We have cruised on each of these ships several times.

I agree that the cabins on the Pacific Dawn are larger than the Sun class Princess ships. My recollection of the Ryndam (on the occasion that we didn't have a suite) was that it was also larger than the Sun class Princess ships. Other ships we have been on also had larger cabins.

Edited by Aus Traveller

My post referred to different opinions on whether the cabins on the Dawn Princess are too small to be comfortable. My post (and that of two other posters) put forward the personal opinion that the Dawn Princess cabins are adequate. We did not compare the Dawn Princess cabins with those on other ships. The Dawn Princess, Sun Princess and Sea Princess, were all built to the same design with the same sized cabins. Later changes have been made to public areas. We have cruised on each of these ships several times.

I agree that the cabins on the Pacific Dawn are larger than the Sun class Princess ships. My recollection of the Ryndam (on the occasion that we didn't have a suite) was that it was also larger than the Sun class Princess ships. Other ships we have been on also had larger cabins.

We're going to have to disagree about the cabin size being adequate. I have shoe boxes in my bedroom wardrobe which are bigger than the cabin I had on the Dawn Princess. The cabin was at least 10-15% too small to qualify as "adequate ". I would describe the cabins on the Royal Caribbean ships as being adequate in size, anything smaller is not adequate - it's cramped and uncomfortable.

Between the microscopic cabins and all the maintenance problems we experienced (breaking down on the first night, leaks, broken lifts, air conditioning) you couldn't pay me to sail on that ship again.

My understanding is that the Sun & Sea Princess were built in a different shipyard and don't have the same maintenance problems as the Dawn. The Dawn has been a lemon ever since it was brand spanking new, at least that's what the crew told us. This is why they're transferring the Dawn to P&O and not the other ships. Princess can't wait to get rid of the ship.

Note that all of my issues relate to the ship itself, not the Princess service. I couldn't fault the staff at all. The Princess service on board is/was exceptional.

I probably wouldn't sail on another Sun class ship, because the cabins are too small and I don't like the layout. Maybe the Sun or Sea, if I saw an itinerary I liked, at a rock bottom price.

That said, my parents love the Sun class ships. They're on the Sea Princess now for several months, going around South America. They went around the world on the Dawn a couple of years ago. Some will like it, some will hate it. You just have to try it for yourself and make up your own mind.

Edited by Vader1111

We're going to have to disagree about the cabin size being adequate. I have shoe boxes in my bedroom wardrobe which are bigger than the cabin I had on the Dawn Princess. The cabin was at least 10-15% too small to qualify as "adequate ". I would describe the cabins on the Royal Caribbean ships as being adequate in size, anything smaller is not adequate - it's cramped and uncomfortable.

Between the microscopic cabins and all the maintenance problems we experienced (breaking down on the first night, leaks, broken lifts, air conditioning) you couldn't pay me to sail on that ship again.

My understanding is that the Sun & Sea Princess were built in a different shipyard and don't have the same maintenance problems as the Dawn. The Dawn has been a lemon ever since it was brand spanking new, at least that's what the crew told us. This is why they're transferring the Dawn to P&O and not the other ships. Princess can't wait to get rid of the ship.

Note that all of my issues relate to the ship itself, not the Princess service. I couldn't fault the staff at all. The Princess service on board is/was exceptional.

I probably wouldn't sail on another Sun class ship, because the cabins are too small and I don't like the layout. Maybe the Sun or Sea, if I saw an itinerary I liked, at a rock bottom price.

That said, my parents love the Sun class ships. They're on the Sea Princess now for several months, going around South America. They went around the world on the Dawn a couple of years ago. Some will like it, some will hate it. You just have to try it for yourself and make up your own mind.

The point I have been trying to make, is that it is your personal opinion that the cabins on the Sun class ships are too small. You are entitled to your opinion, but that is what it is :).

We, LokiPloki and Clarebearinaus feel the cabins are adequate. This is our opinion. A lot of other people must agree with us or the ships would not be sailing "full" all the time.

The point I have been trying to make, is that it is your personal opinion that the cabins on the Sun class ships are too small. You are entitled to your opinion, but that is what it is :).

We, LokiPloki and Clarebearinaus feel the cabins are adequate. This is our opinion. A lot of other people must agree with us or the ships would not be sailing "full" all the time.

I agree that the Sun class cabins are small yes, but adequate. We are sailing tomorrow on Dawn Princess. The ship, or cruise, must be popular as we were offered a move over offer this week.

Edited by By The Bay

Size of a room is subjective, I know a family that lives in a 2 bedroom flat and that is adequate for them and then there is a couple that lives in a 4 bedroom house that is not.

What is fact, is if a room is 55 square feet it is smaller than one that is 70 square feet, adequacy relates to the individuals needs and wants.

Some people love these ships - my parents among them. There's certainly a lot of good to be said about cruising with Princess - the food & service are both exceptional. My gripes all relate to the ship itself, which in my experience was in very poor condition when I cruised on her (Jan 2016). The microscopic cabin size wasn't a show stopper, but combined with all of the other problems it detracted from what was otherwise a very enjoyable cruise.

We were in two cabins :)

I think 4 of us in one would have been too much for a 12 day cruise when the kids are adult sized or close enough, but that would apply to most ships and cabins.

We were in two cabins :)

I think 4 of us in one would have been too much for a 12 day cruise when the kids are adult sized or close enough, but that would apply to most ships and cabins.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

I agree with you that the four in one cabin would be a bit much. Also four people using one bathroom would be a challenge. From your post it seems that you felt each cabin was adequate or two people.

One bathroom for four people is not doable IMO, doesn't matter how big he cabin is.

It all depends how you do it. I've done 4 in a cabin, one bathroom a number of times and it's worked fine.

Just like cabin space, it comes down to personal approaches/preference.

It all depends how you do it. I've done 4 in a cabin, one bathroom a number of times and it's worked fine.

Just like cabin space, it comes down to personal approaches/preference.

It would depend on the 4 people, I prefer no more than two, no matter who the others were.

It would depend on the 4 people, I prefer no more than two, no matter who the others were.

Yes, hence the comment about personal preferences and situations.

As for no more than two, I'm sure most would prefer that! Sometimes, practicality or just cost intervene though.

I have to agree with Vader1111 the cabin we had on the dawn princess was small in comparison to previous cabins we have had in fact our cabin on pacific princess was bigger and it was the same cat i.e. obstructed view.

The Sun class cabins are the smallest inside cabins we have cruised in, and that is a fact, I could give all the sq ft of an inside on all of them, I have cruised in enough of them on most cruise lines.

But for us it is about the layout. The cabins on the Sun class that run down the ship and smaller in footage than the cabins that runs across the ship....(longer, narrower cabins) have a really bad design in our opinion.

There is not much room at the foot of the bed, and the bathroom door opens onto the desk/dressing table. The longer cabins running across the ship have a larger area at the foot of the bed and the bathroom door opens on an angle, we spent 21 nights in one of these and quite liked it. Never had any trouble with storage in the Sun class insides either.

Gone are days of us cruising in quads, but we have done before, with kids, with friends, with strangers:eek:

Edited by cheznandy