Mariner v Explorer

flossie009

We have been reading with interest the (generally) glowing reports of the new ship, Explorer, and are looking forward to sailing on her this April

However, we have also realised that for an equivalent sized suite, on similar itineraries, the per-day price on the Explorer appears to be significantly higher than Regent’s other ships

So the question for those who have sailed on both Explorer and Mariner (or Voyager) is:

Does the Explorer offer sufficient additional value to justify the additional cost?

Our specific conundrum at present is a choice between two equivalent TransAtlantic crossings in the Spring of 2018:

(Note: UK pp web-pricing & air arrangements are quoted - US pricing appears to be similar. Our TA will offer the same percentage discount off both cruises)

Explorer; 21 Mar 2018; 14 nights; Miami to Barcelona

F1: £5,529 (inc Economy flights – extra over for Business approx. £1,350)

PHC: £8,119 (inc Business flights)

Eastbound crossing means losing 6 hours during the cruise

Mariner; 04 Apr 2018; 14 nights; Barcelona to Miami

PHC: £6,699 (inc Business flights)

Westbound crossing means gaining 6 hours during the cruise

First cruise following refurb!!

Mariner appears to us to offer better value……………but what do others think?

One consideration should be the suites. If you disregard the "G" and "H" suites on the Explorer (which many seem to be doing already), and compare Mariners "D" - "H" suites to Explorer's "D" - "F" suites, the Explorer wins hands down.

Besides for the obvious difference in size, the storage and balcony (in "F" level suites and above) is impressive on the Explorer. On the Mariner, you have either a bathtub or a shower. The Explorer has both as well as double sinks and again, tons of storage space. The bathroom size is also considerably larger on the Explorer.

One item that has been mentioned repeatedly is the size of the safe on the Mariner (not a make or break decision but is interesting). You can put very little in Mariner's safe's. Usually I take my wallet, passport, etc. and put it in the safe. When I saw the size of the safe on the Explorer, I just put my whole handbag in and there was room to spare. Of course, the closet size is larger on the Explorer.

Getting away from the suites, the Mariner has a lot of public spaces - very lovely. IMO, there is some wasted space on the Mariner (specifically the very large Stars Lounge that goes unused a lot of the time). The Explorer's public spaces are actually used by the passengers - seating areas that are comfortable and well-designed.

There is no comparison in the gym on the Mariner and the Explorer. The Explorer wins hands down. In addition to a large gym, there are hot and cold therapy rooms, the plunge pool, etc.

After refurbishment next year, La Veranda on the Mariner will be very similar to LV on the Explorer. However, there is no reason why the food on the Mariner would not be equal to the Explorer. Of course, due to size restraints, I do not believe that Pacific Rim will be added to the Mariner.

A highlight for some of us is having P7 and Chartreuse open for lunch. As of today, these dining venues are not available for lunch on the refurbished Voyager so it will likely be the same on the Mariner.

The amazing Sunday buffet brunch is, as of now, only available on the Explorer (and is only set up on the Explorer when Sunday is a sea day).

So, after being long winded again, if the differences are worth the extra money to you (only you can decide), then I would choose the Explorer. For us, if the itinerary of the Explorer and any other Regent ship were the same and the cost wasn't dramatically higher, I would pick the Explorer every time.

At the end of the day, as much as I would prefer all of our future cruises be on the Explorer, itinerary dictates that we return to the Mariner later this year and then onto the Voyager.

Edited by Travelcat2

We have been reading with interest the (generally) glowing reports of the new ship, Explorer, and are looking forward to sailing on her this April

However, we have also realised that for an equivalent sized suite, on similar itineraries, the per-day price on the Explorer appears to be significantly higher than Regent’s other ships

So the question for those who have sailed on both Explorer and Mariner (or Voyager) is:

Does the Explorer offer sufficient additional value to justify the additional cost?

Our specific conundrum at present is a choice between two equivalent TransAtlantic crossings in the Spring of 2018:

(Note: UK pp web-pricing & air arrangements are quoted - US pricing appears to be similar. Our TA will offer the same percentage discount off both cruises)

Explorer; 21 Mar 2018; 14 nights; Miami to Barcelona

F1: £5,529 (inc Economy flights – extra over for Business approx. £1,350)

PHC: £8,119 (inc Business flights)

Eastbound crossing means losing 6 hours during the cruise

Mariner; 04 Apr 2018; 14 nights; Barcelona to Miami

PHC: £6,699 (inc Business flights)

Westbound crossing means gaining 6 hours during the cruise

First cruise following refurb!!

Mariner appears to us to offer better value……………but what do others think?

Greetings Flossie, i hope you thoroughly enjoyed your recent cruise.You must be feeling like a part of the furniture after all this time.

Like yourselves, we will be going on the Explorer this year for the first time. We have been on all Regent ships and have to say that we are honestly only going on her just to have ticked the box so to speak.

For us, we think the Mariner is our favourite followed by the Voyager and probably wouldn't cruise on Navigator again as it was our least favourite.

As for the prices.I'm sure they have been inflated for the first year of sailing on the (most luxurious ship ever built) :eek: I'm not sure if it will do it for us but we will give it a try.

Personally we would chose the Mariner every time if the itinerary suited us as she is a very classy ship and not sure if we could justify the price for the Explorer if it was only for the way she looked and that isn't to everyone's taste.

We like the Mariner a lot, but the Explorer is a major upgrade. In addition to Travelcat2's accurate comments, Explorer's spa blows away Mariner's. We love the teaching kitchen on Explorer; Mariner has none. There is nothing like the best restaurant on Explorer: Pacific Rim.

We like the Mariner a lot, but the Explorer is a major upgrade. In addition to Travelcat2's accurate comments, Explorer's spa blows away Mariner's. We love the teaching kitchen on Explorer; Mariner has none. There is nothing like the best restaurant on Explorer: Pacific Rim.

Hi JPR, i can understand that the Explorer has a lot more facilities regarding teaching kitchen and Pacific Rim but i thought the speciality restaurants were all going to be in place on all other Regent ships?

Do you know if there is a vegetarian option on the teaching classes? That would be fantastic.

We're not on Explorer until April (and July) this year so I don't have first-hand experience, but on paper, especially on a crossing, I think Explorer would be the better choice solely based on cabin size, dining venues, and improved public spaces (at least on paper).

Whether it's worth the extra money is purely subjective, but I think I'd rather spend the extra $$ (or ££) for the Explorer on a TA and do without a few dinners out when I get home...

Hi JPR, i can understand that the Explorer has a lot more facilities regarding teaching kitchen and Pacific Rim but i thought the speciality restaurants were all going to be in place on all other Regent ships?

Do you know if there is a vegetarian option on the teaching classes? That would be fantastic.

There is not enough room for Pacific Rim on the Mariner or Voyager and the Navigator only has space enough for P7.

In terms of cooking classes, if you are booked on an Explorer cruise, the class options should already be available to book. Check your booking online - these classes are generally sold out a long time in advance.

There is not enough room for Pacific Rim on the Mariner or Voyager and the Navigator only has space enough for P7.

In terms of cooking classes, if you are booked on an Explorer cruise, the class options should already be available to book. Check your booking online - these classes are generally sold out a long time in advance.

Indeed they are. We just booked ours for our July cruise and they were pretty picked over already. Just one of the perils of booking later.

I have checked my itinerary for the culinary kitchen classes and for all they are available to book, there is no description of what the classes entail, do you have knowledge of what is on offer or do they differ with every cruise segment?

I have checked my itinerary for the culinary kitchen classes and for all they are available to book, there is no description of what the classes entail, do you have knowledge of what is on offer or do they differ with every cruise segment?

Sorry, having trouble posting tonight.

Edited by Pamela1

Pamela,

Details of classes:

https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/culinaryartskitchen/default.aspx#Content

We are currently on the Explorer. We love the Mariner but there is something very deluxe feeling about the Explorer experience. It does feel a little like what I imagine the "being in the 1%" experience feels like. Staff and crew are outstanding. Ship is lovely and new. We have been lucky in that the service has been great. For us it just seems like a stepped up Regent experience.

If it comes to a large cost diffential we will need to struggle with the decision.

Thanks for all the comments and advice - very useful

Our benchmark for choice of suite is a Mariner PH (we find the D-H cabins on Mariner a little too snug). The equivalent size on explorer seem to be F, E and D (but without the services of a Butler)

We do not require a bathtub; the shower-only bathrooms on Mariner we find very good. How do the showers on Explorer match-up?

Sunday Brunch on Explorer sounds nice; unfortunately this April we will have no Sunday sea days so will not get to experience an Explorer Brunch; does Explorer do the normal caviar/champagne breakfast on Sunday?

The Culinary Kitchen classes on Explorer look appealing; we have one booked for April and would probably do 2 during a TransAtlantic crossing

We are still debating whether to do Mariner or Explorer for a TransAtlantic in Spring 2018. Looking at the dates, we have realised that we could actually do both back-to-back :eek: That would really allow us to make a value comparison between the two ships ;)

Plus we now have the new 2018/2019 itineraries to peruse................decisions, decisions, decisions :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just off Explorer in Miami...

We are very impressed by the overall beauty of the new ship and enjoyed cabin 851 very much. However, my personal opinion is there is a form/function issue in the design. For example aft elevator/stairs are way to close and someone will take one step back one day to allow people to get out of elevator and take a backward fall down the stairs. As well we saw face plant falls in the theatre waiting for shores excursions. The steps and lighting and dark carpet are not very well thought out for safety. The large gold pillars are structural no doubt but can't see through them and the upstairs balcony have FEW good seats for seeing the videos and stage. I loved standing in the infinity pool going through the Panama Canal

And loved all the food, 3 different ways of serving Dover sole, and Chartreuse for lunch. Crew are wonderful as usual and why we come back to Regent.

indigosea - you definitely pointed out two of the design flaws that will undoubtedly be fixed when the next Explorer-class ship is built. The area by the aft elevator on deck five is uncomfortable at best and a would have difficulty accommodating a wheelchair.

In terms of the experience on the Explorer - IMO, none of the other ships can touch it.

Greetings Flossie, i hope you thoroughly enjoyed your recent cruise.You must be feeling like a part of the furniture after all this time.

Like yourselves, we will be going on the Explorer this year for the first time. We have been on all Regent ships and have to say that we are honestly only going on her just to have ticked the box so to speak.

For us, we think the Mariner is our favourite followed by the Voyager and probably wouldn't cruise on Navigator again as it was our least favourite.

As for the prices.I'm sure they have been inflated for the first year of sailing on the (most luxurious ship ever built) :eek: I'm not sure if it will do it for us but we will give it a try.

Personally we would chose the Mariner every time if the itinerary suited us as she is a very classy ship and not sure if we could justify the price for the Explorer if it was only for the way she looked and that isn't to everyone's taste.

Mariner was our favorite ship until we sailed on the Explorer. I would bet the pricing will begin to come down after the inaugural season glow.

Edited by commodore2010

Mariner was our favorite ship until we sailed on the Explorer. I would bet the pricing will begin to come down after the inaugural season glow.

Hello, we booked the Explorer whilst on the Mariner last year. We were very glad we did as the price increase has been quite considerable and i will have to wait to see if the Explorer ticks the boxes for us. Really looking forward to the cruise all the same and thank you for the feedback.

After my comment about the Navigator, we are now looking at a cruise on her in 2018. It wouldn't be my first choice in the fleet but has a very good itinerary.

The Voyager was our favorite ship until we sailed on the Explorer. As you know, it is not just about being luxurious -- if the suites were not comfortable, the service not good and/or the food was sub-par, it wouldn't matter how beautiful it was. As it happens, I cannot imagine anyone not preferring the "F" and above suites to a comparable suite on Regent's other ships.

In terms of the Mariner, it is the only ship where my DH absolutely refuses to stay in anything less than a PH due the small suite size of the lower suites. We have felt that the Mariner has a lot of open spaces because they kept the suites so small. Regent apparently learned from their mistake (especially about their tub/shower combos issues on the Mainer) since the next ship that they built (the Voyager) had larger suites and both a bathtub and a shower.

About the prices coming down....... IMO, that will only happen if/when the bookings slow down (this may not occur until the debut of the second Explorer-class ship). Then, as far as I am concerned, everyone else can sail the new ship and we'll be happy with the current ship. Regent will no doubt fix the few design flaws on the current ship as Oceania did when they introduced the "almost twin" ship to the Marina - the Riviera.

• 2 weeks later...

For next March/April 2018 we have booked Explorer Miami to Barcelona and Mariner Barcelona to Miami.

So a back to back but changing ships.

Has anyone any hints as to what to expect on changeover day when we need to move our luggage from Explorer to Mariner ?