Global Entry at Ft Lauderdale

JennysUncle

There seemed to be a Global Entry lane at the Immigration checkpoint in Terminal 26 at Ft Lauderdale on 19 Jan 2017 when we got off the Veendam. However, the woman manning the entry said that we needed to have our Global Entry Cards - which we had not brought, because where GE has kiosks they scan passports. So we waited through the long queue. (Three agents clearing about 1200 passengers in about two hours - about 35 seconds of tough scrutiny per couple.) So the seaport Global Entry must work like land crossings instead of airports - remember to bring your cards.

It's like the Canadian airports. They (usually a contract employee) use the cards as proof you have GE. I wish this info was clearly spelled out on the paperwork when you get your card. The paperwork implies it is only valid for land border crossings. Now I have the card tucked inside my passport cover so I have proof of my GE.

Last October we arrived at Fort Lauderdale to find a massive clusterfumble by USCBP. There were huge delays. We ended up disembarking about an hour after our requested time and an hour before our call because we were worried about missing our flight. We then found the queue at least 2.5-3 hours long. After waiting 30-40 minutes they opened the Nexus/GE line and we got through in about 15 minutes and made the flight.

Lesson learned: make sure you carry your card with you. We needed it but only to get access to the Nexus line.

It's easier than getting into an argument with a government agent.

In my business there's an old saying: "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it." ;)

In my business there's an old saying: "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it." ;)

So true. Even if you win the argument with the inspector, how much time have you wasted that could have been saved by flashing the card?

You're still wasting time. Show your card and be on your way.

Or, argue with the rent-a-cop, wait on a supervisor, explain your issue to the supervisor, how long will that take?

Exactly. Is it really that difficult to carry with you? I'm amazed with the fuss that is made about such minor things on CC.

Each time we used GE at the FLL cruise port we have been asked for our global entry card by the CBP agent. The last time we used mobile passport and it was actually faster than GE. We always carry the card just in case

Wondering - if you fill out the Mobile Passport on your phone when you arrive and then find that the GE line is shorter can you still use the GE process or are you locked into the Mobile Passport line?

Each time we used GE at the FLL cruise port we have been asked for our global entry card by the CBP agent. The last time we used mobile passport and it was actually faster than GE. We always carry the card just in case

Wondering - if you fill out the Mobile Passport on your phone when you arrive and then find that the GE line is shorter can you still use the GE process or are you locked into the Mobile Passport line?

You can use either, but I doubt that you'll gain much of an advantage with one over the other. I also doubt that you'll be able to tell if one line is shorter from way back where you enter the two express lines.

We have GE and Mobile Passport. We carry the GE card in the RFID sleeve for our passports. We keep our passport cards in there, too. Even though Mobile Passport replaces the Form 6059B blue customs declaration form, we still filled out a paper copy. I work on the assumption that if the system goes down, the government isn't going to be accommodating.

There are only a handful of CBP agents to process the whole ship. If you think that they're going to close down a line so someone can adjudicate rules disputes at the back of the line, you're probably mistaken. For what it's worth, when we got our Global Entry cards in Fort Lauderdale, the agent told us that your card isn't used for processing, but we should carry it in case we're asked to produce it. It doesn't weigh much or take up much space, so we gave the GE card a permanent home in our travel wallets.

I have gone to the website for Global Entry information and am confused. It looks to me like I would have to go to a specific office in certain cities to obtain the application. I live in rural Ohio so that could make it impossible, or very expensive to obtain. Am I missing some information somewhere?

I have gone to the website for Global Entry information and am confused. It looks to me like I would have to go to a specific office in certain cities to obtain the application. I live in rural Ohio so that could make it impossible, or very expensive to obtain. Am I missing some information somewhere?

We live in Wisconsin and the two choices we had that were nearby was Minneapolis or Milwaukee. We drive the 2 1/2 hours to Minneapolis and 2 1/2 hours home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I recall correctly, the application is available online, but you have to report in person for the screening and electronic fingerprinting. It's $100 and the card is good for 5 years. Some credit cards, like American Express Platinum, pay for the cost. If you do not travel often and live far from a screening location, Global Entry isn't worth it. Mobile Passport is free, but it's not available at every airport, nor does it do you any good for entrance screening at airports.

Here's a good article comparing the two programs:

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/mobile-passport-can-be-better-than-global-entry/

Just note that the two programs aren't available for use at all airports or cruise ports, so you will need to check with the US CBP website.

Edited by POA1

We live in Columbus and went to Port Clinton to get ours. Customs and Boarder Patrol in that location. Other choices in Ohio was Cleveland and Cincinnati airports. Once we got there it took about 30 minutes for both my wife and I. Got our cards in about three weeks.

The application is on line. You have to complete the application and pay the fee on line. The fee is non-refundable. After a period of time, you will be contacted to inform you that the application has been approved. At that time, you can make an appointment at one of the listed sites.

We live in Columbus and went to Port Clinton to get ours. Customs and Boarder Patrol in that location. Other choices in Ohio was Cleveland and Cincinnati airports. Once we got there it took about 30 minutes for both my wife and I. Got our cards in about three weeks.

We went through the process this past summer. Filled out the online forms - in about a week we got the OK that we could schedule the interview. Closest for us was the Cincinnati airport (2 hour drive). The real issue was that the earliest we could make an appointment was 2 1/2 months out. The entire interview/finger print process took less than 15 minutes. Used it when flying back into LAX from New Zealand in Dec and saved us probably 45 minutes waiting in lines and will use it again in March in Ft Lauderdale.

We certainly like the GE (and the attendant TSA-pre-check) that's included. Going thru SF recently the GE kiosk saved us at least an hour and we were able to make out connecting flight home.

We just keep our GE cards, international vaccination certificates, int'l driver's license (if applicable), the little card your orthopedic surgeon gives you for knee/hip replacements and any internet visa (such as an Aussie eta hard copy: made small by scissoring it down to just show the basics) clipped together with a small-medium binder clip, aka, folder clip).

We keep all that in back of the passport and 'packet' is easily removed for passport scanning. Otherwise, the passport & the 'packet' is all held together with a larger binder clip. Sort of low tech, as it were.

Gosh, I still use rubber bands to hold my ship card and drivers license when visiting some ports that require only a DL as an ID.

It seems like various countries and ports of entry wants more documentation then just a good old passport for one reason or another. I just like a keeping all the stuff together versus searching through a bag / wallet to find some sort of documentation that is expectantly required.

Be well & Safe travels,

Bob:)