"Upgraded" and not happy

pwkwin

The ship is completely booked so they said they can't move us anywhere. I tried to get them to "upgrade" the people they gave our rooms to but due to confidentiality they said they couldn't do this or tell me why.

I will make sure I go to the C and A and change my upgrade status. It is my first post but didn't realize I have been a member for 10 years. I have reviewed a lot of posts and have learned a lot from all of you on cruising so thanks for the suggestions on this one. I will try at the port to see if they can change me but if not I will still have a great time.

I will still have a great time.

THIS!!!

And yes you will because of your attitude going in. I guarantee you that your cabin will not affect the awesome people you will meet, great food, great shows and awesome ports you'll be visiting. Good on you pwkwin!

Have an awesome cruise :D

I think getting moved to another cabin without consent is everyone's biggest concern. We have what I'd call a perfect aft cabin on our first med cruise this summer on Brilliance; that wouldn't be cool getting bumped.

Has this ever happened to anyone, involuntarily?

The ship is completely booked so they said they can't move us anywhere. I tried to get them to "upgrade" the people they gave our rooms to but due to confidentiality they said they couldn't do this or tell me why.

I will make sure I go to the C and A and change my upgrade status. It is my first post but didn't realize I have been a member for 10 years. I have reviewed a lot of posts and have learned a lot from all of you on cruising so thanks for the suggestions on this one. I will try at the port to see if they can change me but if not I will still have a great time.

I think getting moved to another cabin without consent is everyone's biggest concern. We have what I'd call a perfect aft cabin on our first med cruise this summer on Brilliance; that wouldn't be cool getting bumped.

Has this ever happened to anyone, involuntarily?

JohnJen If you read my earlier post, there are reasons this happens. But outside of these 3 reasons I have never heard of this happening. A few people have asked the OP if they were booked in a cabin that accommodated more people than than in his/her party. That is the biggest question and if the answer is yes, than with little doubt this is why. That is the most likely answer. The second most likely answer is a medical necessity with another passenger and with privacy laws they cannot tell you why. But it's overwhelmingly likely due to the cabin accommodating more people than the OP's party. Nevertheless its very disappointing im sure. It's of the reasons we have hesitated booking certain suites because they accommodate larger parties and im always afraid we will get booted.

Edited by jetta8300

JohnJen If you read my earlier post, there are reasons this happens. But outside of these 3 reasons I have never heard of this happening. A few people have asked the OP if they were booked in a cabin that accommodated more people than than in his/her party. That is the biggest question and if the answer is yes, than with little doubt this is why. That is the most likely answer. The second most likely answer is a medical necessity with another passenger and with privacy laws they cannot tell you why. But it's overwhelmingly likely due to the cabin accommodating more people than the OP's party. Nevertheless its very disappointing im sure. It's of the reasons we have hesitated booking certain suites because they accommodate larger parties and im always afraid we will get booted.

Good words, Jetta and thanks. Was trying to find out if our cabin can fit more than two persons, we're in an aft cabin on Brilliance...just want to keep it because when we booked, the agent on the last ship said it's one of her best balconies on board.

Good words, Jetta and thanks. Was trying to find out if our cabin can fit more than two persons, we're in an aft cabin on Brilliance...just want to keep it because when we booked, the agent on the last ship said it's one of her best balconies on board.

If you have one of the D balconies then they only hold 2. All of the suites including JS 1100 and 1602 hold. Ore than 2 people.

Some may recall that the cruise line policy changed a few years ago about booking cabins for more than 2 with only 2. They reserved the right to not let less than capacity book them during high season, and probably whenever they decide they need it.

Others have reported that they couldn't find a preferred stateroom for 2, on some sailings, but if they changed the search to 3, many more cabins were available. I don't recall all the details, and I don't always save policy change notices.

But I do recall that the occupancy policy change does not apply to suites, including junior suites. If you book a suite, supposedly, they can not move you if they want it for more occupants.

This happened to us on a Christmas cruise. We were traveling with our kids and they had the cabin next to us in the very front of the ship. They upgraded us on departure day, but not my kids. We said no thanks but we're told sorry, it's done. We were up five floors all the way aft on Oasis. Our luggage and tour tickets were in our original cabin and we had to retrieve them ourselves. It was a horrible experience. We sail on Anthem tomorrow. It has taken a while for us to want to sail on Royal again. Not unhappy about the upgrade. Was so angry because they split up our family. We could not have been farther apart. Fingers crossed

Sometime during the cruise you could ask the people who got the cabin. That could help clear it from your mind, if the cruise hasn't already made you forget at that point. Afterwards you could follow up on this thread by sharing the explanation given by the other party.

And just how would you suggest doing this??? We wouldn't want unknown passengers hanging outside our cabin door or even knocking. Would this not be rude on their part??

Otherwise, the odds are not in favor of randomly finding them on the ship.

Edited by troykahack

Some may recall that the cruise line policy changed a few years ago about booking cabins for more than 2 with only 2. They reserved the right to not let less than capacity book them during high season, and probably whenever they decide they need it.

Others have reported that they couldn't find a preferred stateroom for 2, on some sailings, but if they changed the search to 3, many more cabins were available. I don't recall all the details, and I don't always save policy change notices.

But I do recall that the occupancy policy change does not apply to suites, including junior suites. If you book a suite, supposedly, they can not move you if they want it for more occupants.

I have always found it strange that booking through the website, it lets me choose a cabin for 3 or 4 even though its just the two of us. Many people have said they had been moved because of this. I feel like they should not let you book the cabin in the first place if there is a chance you'll be moved. It has let me on Royal, Norwegian, and Carnival. All with the same policy that they can move you if they need to. Problem is, many people dont know that. Again I'd be interested to see if the above poster who was moved far away from their children booked a cabin with a larger capacity. You can always tell on the deck plans how many people the cabin will hold.

Edited by jetta8300

2). Someone with a disability needed that room for some reason. That it was medically necessary for someone to have that room, or connects to a room that someone in their party needed for medical reasons.

I can definitely confirm this does happen. DW and I were moved once with no warning because the cabin we had was next door to an accessible cabin and was needed for a traveling companion. The Loyalty Ambassador on board confirmed it when we asked. No complaints from us though, as we got a GS for that 15-night TA out of it. :D