Escape: port days NCL excursions vs on your own

cookie*

I am wondering how getting off the ship works on port days. We are in a regular balcony room, port side. If you book an excursion through NCL do you meet somewhere on the ship first and get off the ship with a group? Is it easier/quicker to get off the ship if you book direct with NCL vs. booking on your own?

Many NCL excursions will have you meet in the theater, then debark as a group. They do tend to give priority to NCL excursions at tender ports, however when docking, once the ship is cleared everyone is welcome to debark...

Edited by sid_9169

Any ncl excursion I have taken in the Carib ports we have just met on the dock. You know look for the sign. Lol

On princess they gathered us in the theater and walked us out together. Total waste of time IMHO but that was in Turkish and Greek ports so there may have been a reason for that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FWIW it's usually cheaper to book a private excursion. Less crowds and quicker.

Very true if you are 4 people or more

Solo cruisers do better with DIY or ship excursion

And believe it or not on princess in 2012 the ships excursion cost us less for 6 people than private and was better IMHO as it included admission fees...more venue...lunch...show...and the private tour of the Topkapi on a Tuesday when it's closed to the public

So depending on port and cruiseline it pays to research both ship and private tours

We did the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion on our Escape cruise. We were the early departure and met in the theater. We didn't wait for everyone on the excursion and proceeded to the catamaran. Those who didn't meet in the theater just met us on the catamaran.

The only times we've seen big lines to get off the ship (besides tender ports) is when we dock late in Nassau. People are all awake and ready to get off the ship when you have the later port times.

There is an option between 'private', as in 1 guide for just your group and ship excursion. We book independent excursions. They are usually cheaper, have a smaller group, and IMO provide a better tour than the ship excursion. At a docked port, don't sweat that ship excursions can get off first. Everyone gets off together and there is hardly any line to get off. This really only becomes an issue for tender ports.

I'm not sure where you are going, but u can check the ports of call board, TripAdvisor, or just google shore excursions for your ports and you'll find a variety of independent options.

This is all great info, thanks so much. Looks like private chartered tours are not really all that much more money (under $300 additional to what we would pay for NCL tour but getting a private boat) but the specific one I am looking at is for boating into the Baths and our ship is only in port from 7AM-3PM so I would be concerned about our timing. Probably best to stick with the ship crowds and have the back to ship guarantee from booking direct with NCL. Maybe I will look up something private for St. Thomas/St. John since we have 8AM-6PM.

Edited by cookie*

The St. John trip requires so many forms of transport...that's the one place a ship's excursion makes sense....they tell you where to meet, and that's all the thinking you have to do! St. John IS TOTALLY gorgeous!

Yes it is!!! I have been there five times, either on cruises or staying on the island, but this will be a first for DH and the kids. My last trip there I was 19. I think we will stick with the ship tour to Trunk Bay. This was what we did on my first visit there on my first cruise and I still remember every detail of that day and I was only 12. There are some other really beautiful and secluded beaches on the island, but for a first visit I don't think you can beat the wow factor of Trunk Bay! I am SO excited.:D

This is all great info, thanks so much. Looks like private chartered tours are not really all that much more money (under $300 additional to what we would pay for NCL tour but getting a private boat) but the specific one I am looking at is for boating into the Baths and our ship is only in port from 7AM-3PM so I would be concerned about our timing. Probably best to stick with the ship crowds and have the back to ship guarantee from booking direct with NCL. Maybe I will look up something private for St. Thomas/St. John since we have 8AM-6PM.

The baths is relatively simply DIY, we just did it; and this is by far the cheapest route. Will come out to $41 pp. you walk out the port, turn left at the Main Street (only one), and walk 5-10 minutes to the ferry port. Go to 'speedy's' booth and buy a round trip ticket. Your ferry out will be at 7:45. Once you get in you'll be offered a taxi who will take u to the baths and he will pick you back up to meet the 12:40 return ferry.

You will be back to the port at 1:20-1:30, well before your 2:30 all aboard time.

Edited by sanger727