Jewel of the Seas - nice cruise experience

On Sunday (Jan. 22) we arrived home from our 7 night cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, departing from San Juan, PR with stops at St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. The weather was beautiful - high 70's to mid 80's, minimal rain, smooth seas.

The Jewel looks great. Our inside cabin was larger than I expected and the bed was very comfortable. Food was very good for the most part, as was the entertainment. Our Cruise Director, Dennis Charles, was terrific. Service was excellent. While most of the passengers were 50+ there were a substantial number of younger folks as well as about 40 little kids.

We loved the ports, especially St. Lucia (make sure you visit the Pitons).

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

I don't think so. I passed by it every morning and never noticed anyone eating there.

OK, thank-you. That's what I will miss most about the decision to abandon putting a Park Cafe on Jewel. That quiet, uncrowded place in the morning to have breakfast.

We loved the ports, especially St. Lucia (make sure you visit the Pitons).

Thanks, we'll be on Jewel in 2 months time, and your post is reassuring. There were some negative reviews lately, mainly -- more crowding due to the newly added cabins.

My question is... how do u "visit" the Pitons?

After spending time on the ship, I'm not sure I'd like another 4 hours on a boat sailing around them.:D

Do u get to see them when sailing away?

:)Thank you, Dani

Thanks, we'll be on Jewel in 2 months time, and your post is reassuring. There were some negative reviews lately, mainly -- more crowding due to the newly added cabins.

My question is... how do u "visit" the Pitons?

After spending time on the ship, I'm not sure I'd like another 4 hours on a boat sailing around them.:D

Do u get to see them when sailing away?

:)Thank you, Dani

We took a catamaran around the island, which takes you very close to the Pitons. The boat held about 50 people. Island music was played through the speakers.

We sailed to a point near the Pitons where there are some beautiful resorts and folks were allowed to swim off the boat (in shallow water). After the swim the boat opened the bar and provided us with tasty rum punches. I had two - many passengers had considerably more. As you can imagine there eventually was quite a party atmosphere. The experience was very enjoyable.

You can probably see the Pitons on sail away though our ship was delayed in leaving so it was too dark to see them well.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Another question, if I may --

Barbados -- is it walkable from the pier? After 4 days of port intensive excursions, may be I'll just want to wander aimlessly ...:)

From where the Jewel was docked the town was in walking distance but somewhat far. There's a shuttle you can take to the end of the pier but you'll still have to walk quite a ways. I did see some people walking from the town to the ship when our tour bus returned to the pier. The town is not scenic though.

From where the Jewel was docked the town was in walking distance but somewhat far. There's a shuttle you can take to the end of the pier but you'll still have to walk quite a ways. I did see some people walking from the town to the ship when our tour bus returned to the pier. The town is not scenic though.

I see. Appreciate the answers.

In this case, that leaves me with "swimming with the turtles", I guess :):)

OK, thank-you. That's what I will miss most about the decision to abandon putting a Park Cafe on Jewel. That quiet, uncrowded place in the morning to have breakfast.

Bob, our experience with the Jewel is that the WJ is very manageable for breakfast, nowhere as bad as I read for Oasis. We'll be on her again next moth, so we'll see if that holds true.

We are going in 2 weeks, curios about the entertainment and movies. Does the Jewel have a screen by the pool for movies under the stars? What movies did they show on your cruise? Also no ice skating rink on this ship, right? Do you have any compass you are willing to post? Thanks

We are going in 2 weeks, curios about the entertainment and movies. Does the Jewel have a screen by the pool for movies under the stars? What movies did they show on your cruise? Also no ice skating rink on this ship, right? Do you have any compass you are willing to post? Thanks

The Jewel has a MUTS. You are correct no ice skating rink.

Jewel has a real (although small) movie theater. On the November 27 cruise, they did tend to use this more than the pool screen. It is very nice, but make sure to go a bit early for a seat as it fills up fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob, our experience with the Jewel is that the WJ is very manageable for breakfast, nowhere as bad as I read for Oasis. We'll be on her again next moth, so we'll see if that holds true.

The Windjammer has lots of seating - more than any ship I've been on. That was a big plus for us.

We are sailing on Jewel in March; first time on RCCL!

What is in the dispenser in the shower?

Is the main dining room open for lunch on the day of embarkation?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

The dispenser contains shampoo only - we had to buy conditioner in one of the shops.

Don't know whether the dining room is open on embarkation day.