Hotel question/Pier 27 San Francisco

X-gwoman10

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be taking the Grand Princess out of San Francisco to the Mexican Rivera. We are planning on coming into San Francisco the day before. I am looking for ideas on where to stay. Preferably close to the pier as we will have to take Uber, taxi or go on foot to get to the ship. I am also concerned about the weather. If the hotel has a restaurant so that we can have breakfast that would be a plus also. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

erm - unless the mods moved this REALLY fast it's already on WC Departures board Keith!

X-GW: unfortunately our most recent stays in SF have been overnight on a ship or in a hotel in a different part of town so I have no direct, recent experience of hotels close to Pier 27. Depepnding on YOUR definition of close - the nearest areas I know have hotels (Fisherman's Wharf/North Beach one direction and Financial District the other) are both perhaps too distant for luggage-trundling unless you travel light for a cruiser - it's at least a mile or so, which may be fine for you or a horrifyingly-long distance depending on your fitness/lifestyle.

Some hotels look closer as the crow flies, but bear in mind the STEEP hills and that some streets just stop then restart - the areas I mentioned are a mostly-flat walk to Pier 27 along the Embarcadero, while anywhere further into the centre of downtown can force a very roundabout route. Google Maps includes some steep pedestrian-only staircases, so I'd plug in any hotel you consider walking from into Google Maps using car mapping to see a route that avoids having to lug suitcases up or down.

We last stayed in Union Square area - lots of bars & restos, which is our main focus when traveling - in the Adante hotel. It, like many others nearby, is a renovated older building so there's an odd mix of room shapes and very modern decor meets old-and-slow elevators and dubious soundproofing. Did us just fine for a few days post-cruise, but earplugs would be a good idea if you're not used to sleeping in an urban environment.

Prior trips we've stayed in everything from the St Regis to the Columbus Motor Inn - the latter is pretty much bang on a mile to Pier 27 and we would happily stay in again, but it was >5 years ago so I'm hesitant to assume the management, maintenance etc. remain just as good as they were. Check with Tripadvisor/Expedia etc and if it's still getting 4 out 5 go for it, we felt it was a tremendous bargain at the time, we just wanted to check out a different 'hood for our most recent stay.

We're staying at Zephyr hotel. Google Earth says it's .63 miles to the ship, and a near Fishermans Wharf. We haven't stayed there before so your guess is as good as mine, but it looks convenient.

Edited by bigchid

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I will be taking the Grand Princess out of San Francisco to the Mexican Rivera. We are planning on coming into San Francisco the day before. I am looking for ideas on where to stay. Preferably close to the pier as we will have to take Uber, taxi or go on foot to get to the ship. I am also concerned about the weather. If the hotel has a restaurant so that we can have breakfast that would be a plus also. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Are you flying into SFO? Train? BART? I assume you are not driving (though it says you are from California) since you talk about Uber or taxi to get to the pier...

To be close to the cruise terminal, my best advice is to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area...Lots of hotels in the area...short Uber or taxi ride to the pier. Lots of restaurants close enough that weather shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks to all for the info. We will take everything into consideration and make a decision. We are driving in to the city as we live only 3 hours away. We have the time, so we are coming into the city the day before the cruise. Part of the fun will be to have a nice dinner the night before we leave and then a leasurly morning before we board. I do apologize for not posting my question in the correct area, it probably won't be the last time! It will take some time to get used to the site.😉

Thanks to all for the info. We will take everything into consideration and make a decision. We are driving in to the city as we live only 3 hours away. We have the time, so we are coming into the city the day before the cruise. Part of the fun will be to have a nice dinner the night before we leave and then a leasurly morning before we board. I do apologize for not posting my question in the correct area, it probably won't be the last time! It will take some time to get used to the site.😉

If you're driving in, then I am a bit confused...Why would you Uber or taxi to the port? Where do you plan on leaving your car?

Of late, we've taken to staying at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn...mostly because it's two blocks from our daughter's place...but, also, they have something rare in The City--FREE Parking during your stay...I believe that's the case with their sister hotels as well:

http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/sister_properties.html

You could always stay in one of those, then drive to the pier and park there for your cruise...

Bruin Steve,

I now realize I didn't mention we were renting a car coming and going. My husband and I don't want to leave either of our vehicles in a parking lot for 10 days. Yes, it costs a bit more than the parking lot, but to us it is well worth it. We have read a few posts about issues people have had when they leave their cars. The car rental company is close to our house and to the pier for easy pick up and drop off. To us, a little extra cost is worth our piece of mind.😊

Thank you Sassyredhat,

We have stayed at many Hyatt Hotels and enjoyed all. Our rental agency is Enterprise. I know a lot of the rental agencies are in close proximity of each other. I will check to see if Enterprise is also. If so, that would be an easy decision on a hotel.😊

We are staying at the Hyatt Regency. It's practically across the street from the pier.

I think you can drop off your rental car there--Hertz or Avis---I can't remember.

Patti

The Hyatt Regency at 5 Embarcadero? That's a mile plus(the BART station is right there, and it lists as 1.2 miles from Pier 27) from the Cruise Ship Terminal. That would be one wide street.

The Ferry Terminal is "almost across the street", not the Cruise Ship Terminal.

Edited by CruiserBruce

The Hyatt Regency at 5 Embarcadero? That's a mile plus(the BART station is right there, and it lists as 1.2 miles from Pier 27) from the Cruise Ship Terminal. That would be one wide street.

Oops.....:o

Patti

So true but it is one very flat street and a quite nice walk unless it decides to rain. Sometimes it is actually faster to do the walk than to drive as traffic can back up on the Embarcadero.