Great Cruise (if you don't like chocolate)

suspend6

We chose a Royal Caribbean cruise as an alternative to the traditional Christmas/New Year at home. The cruise was good, and the family had a great time. My wife asked me to buy a block of Cadbury Rollo chocolate from the ship store. There was no price on it, but I did not think twice. Just as my wife was devouring the block, I looked at the sales docket. EIGHTEEN DOLLARS AND NINETY FIVE CENTS AMERICAN!!!!!!! Absolutely outrageous. Cruise lines make enough profit from many other sources (shore tours, alcohol, spa, etc). There is no need to blatantly rip guests off in this way. Shame on you Royal Caribbean. If you wish to charge such ridiculous prices, at least post the prices of the goods so guests can determine for themselves if they want to pay those kinds of prices. My gut feeling is that declaring prices like that would result in ZERO sales.

If you didn't see a price, couldn't you have just asked the assistant?

The transaction was done by signing a digital pad. The price must have been displayed, but I was not concerned about it - a block of chocolate - how much could that cost?

Yes, I should have been more diligent. But I would not have thought in my wildest dreams anybody could charge that much.

The transaction was done by signing a digital pad. The price must have been displayed, but I was not concerned about it - a block of chocolate - how much could that cost?

Yes, I should have been more diligent. But I would not have thought in my wildest dreams anybody could charge that much.

This is understandable. I can see myself doing the same thing with something as "cheap" as chocolate. How much could it really be? $5, $6 bucks tops? I would have paid it simply because the person I was with wanted it and I was going to buy it regardless of how much it was (assuming I was getting only minimally ripped off). I'm glad someone else learned to ask for prices the hard way so I don't do it. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you think to ask if it was an error? RC doesn't stock the shops. It is a lease arrangement. I definitely would have asked if there was an error, especially for a standard size candy bar, just seems like mis-entry into the sales computer.

No. I think I was in shock, and lost the plot, but I won't get caught again. I guess it could have been an error. None of the candy and sundry items showed any prices on the shelf. That was also a problem.

I used to go to Belize at least twice a year and have a very dear friend there. I would ask her if she wanted me to bring her anything and often just a standard bar of Hershey's chocolate (king size) was her choice. Many Caribbean countries charge crazy import taxes on US chocolate. Local chocolate is good but wasn't available to her for many years. Her other choice was Wisconsin cheese which sometimes got confiscated at the border. It depended on packaging.

No. I think I was in shock, and lost the plot, but I won't get caught again. I guess it could have been an error. None of the candy and sundry items showed any prices on the shelf. That was also a problem.

No idea how it is in Australia, but here in the US items do not have individual price tags - I am referring to food/drink/non-clothing items. The bar code is read when the item is scanned and rung into the register. That was why I asked if you questioned the price in case it was an error. The price is usually on the shelf and items lined up behind the tag on the shelf.

I am sorry it happened to you, but I would bet it was an error.

My understanding is that shops are contracted out similar to what you find in an airport so I'm not sure how much say the cruise lines have in prices.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

There was a post recently from someone who complained to RCI about a drug related item that was way over priced too- I think it was for an allergy that they forgot.

Anyway, the note was sent to the top, and was very well received- IIRC, they got a partial refund, and it prompted RCI to look into the prices that are being charged in the shops.

Which is to say- since the OP was nice enough to post here about their experience, perhaps we can talk them into bringing it up with customer service so that prices for everyday items can be a little more reasonable on the ship.

There was a post recently from someone who complained to RCI about a drug related item that was way over priced too- I think it was for an allergy that they forgot.

Anyway, the note was sent to the top, and was very well received- IIRC, they got a partial refund, and it prompted RCI to look into the prices that are being charged in the shops.

Which is to say- since the OP was nice enough to post here about their experience, perhaps we can talk them into bringing it up with customer service so that prices for everyday items can be a little more reasonable on the ship.

This is great advice. Besides, maybe the cashier rung up 4 bars? Have it checked out.

Yes, I usually keep an eye on our spending, but this one caught me by surprise.

So how big a piece of Chocolate was it? There was recent thread here that a person bought cough medicine for $18.95 and felt they were taken advantage of, wrote the cruise and got the charge refunded. When there wasn't much detail I inquired about the size of the bottle and got chastised for it. I've seen some imported chocolates going for $20/lb. Keep in mind it cost more to stock a store at sea than it does your corner store.