Parking4cruises

Port out

Port Out

If that be the case, then my query is justified, in as much, as my sat nav, has been further in my car then I have!

Also dispels the myth,that all cars are stored in the docks.

As I have previosly said, I have no axe to grind on this, just pointing out, that it appeared a bit odd!

I understand you have to pay to use the short term car park. Is this paid by the user or is it included in the charge from P4C?

Brian

If there is a charge then it is included, because I have only ever paid Parking4cruises one figure at least 6 months in advance.

Re the mileage. The docks stretch for at least 5 miles, so a 9 mile round trip is perfectly reasonable. My mileage has never been more than 5

This has been an interesting thread. We have only ever used CPS which we have found to be excellent, other than the fact that ticking the 'disabled' box on the booking makes no difference whatsoever. They will still Park your car absolutely anywhere within the large car park on disembarkation day rather than close to the key pick up kiosk. Last time the car came back with a small dent in the door which we knew wasn't there when we dropped it off. They tried their damnedest to prove it was there on the pick up photos but couldn't, so agreed to pay for a repair.

Having had cars returned with a sticky residue over them which is deposited over them by activities in the docks and takes a number of washes to fully remove, we started paying for the £25 valet, but the standard of clean was very poor.

As far as I know, all cars are parked within the docks complex (which, as others have said, is vast) using an army of drivers who are ferried to and fro with minibuses. It wouldn't be economically viable to transport them or drive them somewhere outside of Southampton. That said, I've never thought to check the mileage so will do next time!

Have never tried Parking4Cruises. Aside from the cost comparison, has anyone who is disabled used them? Just wondering if it's a bit more hassle if it's further away. We like dropping the car right in front of the terminal and get assistance from the ship right the way to the car at the CPS pick up point, so wouldn't want to compromise that in any way.

Selbourne

Take all your points,except for the vastness of the docks. Suggest you put them on Google Earth, say Mayflower Dock Southampton,then pull out the screen until you get a full view of the area. Then pan in to the screen, and take account of the amount of space taken up by the import/export vans and car,and also the shipping containers.I think you will be surprised.

As I have said before I have no axe to grind.

Selbourne

Take all your points,except for the vastness of the docks. Suggest you put them on Google Earth, say Mayflower Dock Southampton,then pull out the screen until you get a full view of the area. Then pan in to the screen, and take account of the amount of space taken up by the import/export vans and car,and also the shipping containers.I think you will be surprised.

As I have said before I have no axe to grind.

I wasn't being critical or sarcastic in any way at all. I was just trying to help and to also seek advice myself.

But the docks are absolutely vast. I know them very well. The docks complex isn't just confined to the area around the Mayflower terminal. There are many different areas, all within the jurisdiction of Southampton Docks. I don't think that they necessarily park them adjacent to your ship but elsewhere within the docks area. This can be quite a few miles away.

Selbourne

Let me assure you that your comments did not cause any offence they most defiantly were not received as either critical or sarcastic,they added to the discussion.

The main point being, the acceptance of the fact that cars are parked on site and sometimes off site, on overspill sites

Having a discussion last evening, regarding my sat-nav, with someone who is well versed in the technology,he suggested that, it not being turned off, and still being connected to the satellite, it recorded the outward journey, however as there was no further activity for some 17 days, it then shut down.

This seemed to make sense to me.

Selbourne, we've not used 'disabled' with either service but I'll add this to the discussion.

Last time we used P4C they were set up at the rear of the carpark (sort of in line with the entrance/exit). They too will take pictures and offer valet services.

FWIW, I don't think the walk was as far to/from the car at P4C to the terminal as it is if CPS stick your car in the far left hand corner of the lot [emoji51].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Selbourne- we to have in 14 years of cruising have only used CPS, and my wife holds a blue badge.

We state this on booking and confirm on arrival, they put a white disabled badge on the dash and of we go, on return it is always as near as they can to where we get the car keys back.

The best is the QE2 terminal where they are parked 50/60 yards from the terminal door

jeanlyon

All sounds good,but sorry I would not contemplate leaving my disabled partner in that situation.

If we can afford to go on a cruise, then we can afford to make sure that our partner is safe.

That sounds a bit OTT, I am sure my wife would be happy to be left in the terminal entrance whilst I finish off the parking formalities.

We do that in reverse with both CPS and ABP, I leave her in the terminal then wheel the luggage out to the car load it up then come back to collect her.

So far she's not been wheeled away by any Arab Sheik.:rolleyes:;)