Talk me into a NCL Cruise

clskinsfan

I have been cruising for 25 years but somehow have never made it onto a NCL ship. For those of you that have cruised other lines (I have been on CCL, RCI and HAL) Tell me some of the major differences that you have experienced on a NCL cruise as compared to the others. The reason I ask is I just happened to check the NCL site and saw that their fares include the Ultimate beverage package and Restaurant dining package for just a couple of hundred bucks more than a similar cruise on Allure of the seas. I was looking at booking a trip on Escape for the Western Itinerary by the way. Make me take the jump to NCL.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you checked prices and see NCL included the drink package and dining package for similar prices of other cruise lines. Carnival charges $55 a day for drink package and doesn't offer any dining packages. That is a pretty good savings right there.

Also, we love the free style dining, where we don't have a set time to dine every night. We also love the O'Sheehan Irish Pub, open 24/7 for wings, nachos, sandwiches, burgers, fajitas, fish & chips etc. Carnival only has pizza 24 hours and RCL has even less late night options.

Actually, for us, it comes down to the value of the included drink package and dining package.

We have always cruised Carnival or RCL and never thought of any other cruise line. But last June we tried the Breakaway because it left from NYC and that was a closer drive for us than going south.

The Breakaway is one of their mega ships, so I can't comment on the smaller ships. The thing we really enjoyed was the Waterfront, which is bars and restaurants along the side of the ship, outside. On other ships it was just a promenade walk way.

Breakaway_highlight_waterfront.jpg

We hung out at Maltings Beer & Whiskey Bar and Shaker's Cocktail Bar. Loved being able to sit outside, under shade, enjoying the ocean's view. We even ate outside at Cagney's on the Waterfront.

Also, we enjoyed the Spice H2O adult only area on Deck 16.

The only shows we see on Carnival are the comedy shows. We just don't care for their entertainment. NCL had a great show, Rock of Ages, that we really enjoyed. In their Headliners club they also had Second City Comedy that was pretty good, but we do prefer stand-up comedy.

They also had a UpTown Grill on the top deck that had really good burgers, kind of build your own. I've heard this is now replaced with a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. It is now a pay venue, where before UpTown Grill was free.

Most of my cruises have been on RCI (my DH and I are now Diamond)and HAL, and until earlier this month, Adventure OTS was the largest ship we have been on. We decided to try NCL because the price was right, the drink package was a great add-on and we wanted to cruise out of NYC.

I can only compare my previous cruises with the Breakaway. Some of the public areas are more crowded than on RCI and certainly HAL ships, and it felt as if smokers were given more places to light up- although that may be because of the ship's design and because I'm allergic to smoke. The drink package is great although you may also have to wait a little longer to get served at some bars. NCL seems to have more wandering bar staff around the ship. No matter where I sat, there was always someone passing by to see if I wanted a drink. Impressive.

I thought NCL had better food and selection in the Buffet, but RCI and HAL won in the dining room. Freestyle dining is perfect for us, and we never had to wait longer than ten minutes to be seated.

NCL had the best entertainment by far. There was a younger crowd on our cruise, and more children than I'm used to seeing on a longer January trip. The staff was as pleasant and hard-working as on other lines and our (balcony) cabin seemed roomier and had more storage areas and a bigger shower.

We had lots of reservations, especially after reading some negative reviews about BA, but everything ran smoothly. Checking in was fast and easy and we didn't have to wait at all. Our self-disembarkation took less than an hour. From start to finish, it was a great cruise and there's no doubt we'll be back on an NCL ship in the future!

I really like the sound of the Waterfront area. Right up my alley. Thanks for the reply Ksm!

And Jackinav it sounds like you were impressed. in comparison to the other lines you have been on.

With the responses I have gotten so far I think I will just book it and find out for myself. The bottom line is a day on a Cruise is tons better than a day at work. If I dont like it I can always just go back to the lines I have been cruising. But from the responses so far in here I dont think that is going to be an issue. :)

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Also, I should mention, my husbands favorite thing about NCL is that he can wear shorts the whole cruise and never have to put on long pants! LOL If we were to eat at Ocean Blue, which is an additional charge on top of the dining package, you would have to dress up a little. We don't plan on eating there so it is not an issue. But everywhere else on the ship the dress is very casual. Makes packing so much easier when you don't have to plan tie/dress shoes/dress pants, dresses etc.

That alone sold him on NCL!

Edited by ksmcdonald

Hey hey! I love love love NCL.

I have more reasons that I love them than room in this box so I will just link you to a post I wrote (because I love ncl so much) ha ha.. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/08/my-favourite-10-things-about-cruising-with-ncl/

Try ncl!!! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've cruised Carnival (platinum), Princess, HAL, and NCL. There really are no "major" differences. They're far more alike than they are different. What I like about NCL is the variety of dining options and not having to eat with strangers. On each NCL cruise, I've purchased a spa pass and love spending time in the spa each day enjoying the pool, hot tubs, ceramic loungers, etc.

As others pointed out, the entertainment is really good. I sailed on the Epic last March and the show on that ship is Priscilla Queen of the Desert and it was SO good!

Give it a try if you'd like. As you know, a cruise is what you make it. :D

I sorry I can not help you with comparing I only cruise NCL and I love the Breakaway I love freestyle dinning and the specialty dinning places are a blast Cagney excellent steak the Japanese place great food and entertainment my room a mid ship balcony deck 14 was perfect. I am single traveled alone live in NJ and no flying to the ship was great. Already booked for 11 day cruise in 2018 just counting the days

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

we love NCL and they have been very good to us.

we like the bar and restaurant options, the service across the ship is phenomenal. i have taken on Carnival cruise (my first) and NCL is far superior on food and entertainment. we aslo like that NCL attacts a wide range of ages. You see grandmas on board with babies, teens and middle agers. There is something for everyone. We could afford a more luxury line - but we like the party atmosphere that NCL offers. we like nightlife. we dont want to be on a ship where everyone is in bed at 10pm (although the Baltics and Alaska sailings are usually like that, at least mine were!).

Hey hey! I love love love NCL.

I have more reasons that I love them than room in this box so I will just link you to a post I wrote (because I love ncl so much) ha ha.. http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/08/my-favourite-10-things-about-cruising-with-ncl/

Try ncl!!! :-)

This is a great site. Thanks for sharing!

And to everyone else that replied thanks again! I went ahead and booked a trip on Escape for this fall. I have one more trip on Allure to get through (like its some kind of horrible thing) in April. Then its NCL's turn in the fall. Going by the responses in here. It's going to be a great time!

This is a great site. Thanks for sharing!

And to everyone else that replied thanks again! I went ahead and booked a trip on Escape for this fall. I have one more trip on Allure to get through (like its some kind of horrible thing) in April. Then its NCL's turn in the fall. Going by the responses in here. It's going to be a great time!

The Escape this past Oct. was the best cruise we have been on.( 9 cruises)

It's the first ship I would definitely sail again.

District Brew House if you like craft beers, waterfront ( 5 o'clock somewhere bar).

The Hydrotherapy pool in the spa was fantastic.

We loved the Vibe area, sure it costs 99.00 per person extra for the week. We thought it was well worth it.

I have been cruising for 25 years but somehow have never made it onto a NCL ship. For those of you that have cruised other lines (I have been on CCL, RCI and HAL) Tell me some of the major differences that you have experienced on a NCL cruise as compared to the others. The reason I ask is I just happened to check the NCL site and saw that their fares include the Ultimate beverage package and Restaurant dining package for just a couple of hundred bucks more than a similar cruise on Allure of the seas. I was looking at booking a trip on Escape for the Western Itinerary by the way. Make me take the jump to NCL.

Nope. I refuse to talk you into it. Look at what NCL Escape has to offer you and talk yourself into it. Only you know what you like out of a cruise and that might be something totally different than what I like. I am not cruise line loyal and I like checking out the different lines so I can sell myself on them. I can tell you I will be sailing on NCL Escape in Sept. Our 4th NCL cruise and 16th cruise overall and I am looking forward to it based on all the research I have done on the Escape and based on what we like out of our cruises.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I've sailed CCL, celebrity, and NCL. For me, NCL has the best evening shows. Add the free drinks package being included on virtually every sailing; I can't see how you can go wrong giving them a try.

I have wanted to try royal for years but been unable to find competitive rates for any of the itineraries/dates we wanted to sail.

Edited by sanger727