Wine/corkage

BaltimoreCruise

The duty on bringing wine to Canada is negligible. We live in Canada very close to border and have brought cases across the border. In most instances, the CBSA officer will just waive you across as filling out the paperwork is more of a hassle than it is worth. You could however (and should be ready to) fall on an officer who likes to enforce the rules and have to spend some time in detention to pay a bill amounting to a few dollars. I doubt they would go through that however for a few bottles. Good luck!

You smuggling b@$tard! ;) I was just trying to answer a few questions about the legal limits.

You smuggling b@$tard! ;) I was just trying to answer a few questions about the legal limits.

No smuggling :halo: All declared and above-board. Worked long enough for the Canada Revenue Agency when they were responsible for both taxation and customs to know not to fool around with the Feds ;) That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks for comments and links. We are planning to bring 3 bottles each so guess tax on just 2 of the 6, that's not too bad if it isn't too steep a tax. We want to bring local Oregon wines which I don't think will be available in BC but I will ask my winery if they ship to Canada (which I could have done before posting this if I had thought of it!). We are spoiled by our excellent local wines but wouldn't mind trying some BC wine, we like rose, white and blush, dry to semi-dry, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for comments and links. We are planning to bring 3 bottles each so guess tax on just 2 of the 6, that's not too bad if it isn't too steep a tax. We want to bring local Oregon wines which I don't think will be available in BC but I will ask my winery if they ship to Canada (which I could have done before posting this if I had thought of it!). We are spoiled by our excellent local wines but wouldn't mind trying some BC wine, we like rose, white and blush, dry to semi-dry, any suggestions?

I will have a ton of recommendations for you but the issue will be access to them. Where are you staying? You driving up?

Read through the link I provided in post #50. While not exactly a tax, there are liquor board fees which could potentially double the cost of the wine. Granted it would be in CAD which would be good for you but I don't think I would do it. However, that's just me. I guess it really depends on how badly you want that Oregon wine on the cruise. I just want you to be aware of the additional costs in bringing wine into BC.

Alberta, aware of additional cost and read thru the link, just seeing posts that say "negligible" which is not what that link seems to say. I guess what I'm really asking is if all those outrageous (IMHO) fees are charged every time or will the fact that I'm only in Canada for a matter of hours before my ship sails and will not consume the wine in Canada but in the US be taken into consideration?

Cruise Junky, driving up from Oregon. For right now the plan is to stay Friday night with family in Bellingham WA and cross the border Sat morning so, barring laws forbidding the sale of alcoholic in the AM, it would not be an issue picking something up on the way.

Alberta, aware of additional cost and read thru the link, just seeing posts that say "negligible" which is not what that link seems to say. I guess what I'm really asking is if all those outrageous (IMHO) fees are charged every time or will the fact that I'm only in Canada for a matter of hours before my ship sails and will not consume the wine in Canada but in the US be taken into consideration?

Cruise Junky, driving up from Oregon. For right now the plan is to stay Friday night with family in Bellingham WA and cross the border Sat morning so, barring laws forbidding the sale of alcoholic in the AM, it would not be an issue picking something up on the way.

I can only guess that those that say the additional costs are negligible are not aware of BC's provincial fees. I think they're only thinking of the federal duty. I'm only aware of it because a friend experienced the fees personally.

As for only passing through Canada with your wine, I really don't know if they'll let you pass without paying the extra fees. However, having experienced some "precious" customs agents on both sides of the border, I wouldn't count on it.

I guess what I'm really asking is if all those outrageous (IMHO) fees are charged every time or will the fact that I'm only in Canada for a matter of hours before my ship sails and will not consume the wine in Canada but in the US be taken into consideration?

The customs duty on wine between the US and Canada is pretty much at parity. If you were driving from Canada to Seattle and bringing wine, you'd be in pretty much the same situation.

If you want your wine to be completely tax and duty free, chug it before you reach the border. But be aware that the the drunk driving penalties are different between the two countries as well.

Sounds good - there's a Save on Foods a few miles from the border on the Canadian side with a great selection of Canadian wine. I'll put some recommendations and directions together for you.